Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Best oil filter wrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:32 PM
dshelly
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best oil filter wrench

So this morning I bought a cheap oil filter wrench (fram cup type) at wally world, took it home and with a cutoff wheel took a section off to clear the sensor up front. What a POS !!! didn't even think about working. All it did was slip. So what's the best one out there that actually works?

Old 01-30-2016, 03:41 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I tried a few then finally ponied up for the Harley one.
Then I relocated the filter altogether by my saddle bag. You can see it in the signature picture. Nearly blew my motor when one of the relocated oil lines blew a hose due to me routing it rubbing underneath. Lol....

Anyway the HD one worked fine.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:44 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Best oil filter wrench

I have the Harley one and it slips. So I switched to K&N filters a few years ago with a nut on them and never looked back

Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I use oil filter pliers on any oil filter that isn't recessed in a housing. Once it's loose I use my hand.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 01-31-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:48 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
I have the Harley one and it slips. So I switched to K&N filters a few years ago with a nut on them and never looked back

Old 01-31-2016, 07:50 AM
Schrauty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a hell of a time getting the filter to budge on my last oil change. I found the old-school method of using an old screw driver and hammer to be quite effective! Sharpen up the tip of the screw driver on the grinder so it will puntcure the filter easily. At the top of filter, drive the screwdriver through the filter and out the other side. Be careful not to ding the motor. Got just enough leverage to break the seal.. Messy, but effective... May help to remove the voltage regulator for more room...

Old 01-31-2016, 08:04 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

For removal, after warm-up & oil drain, punch a screwdriver and turn...just have the oil-catch ready.

For install, just twist on until contact and then do the 3/4 added turn. If you can't get this tight w/hands, get the nudie mags and lotion to build-up grip strength & retry...

Old 01-31-2016, 08:50 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Schrauty
Had a hell of a time getting the filter to budge on my last oil change. I found the old-school method of using an old screw driver and hammer to be quite effective! Sharpen up the tip of the screw driver on the grinder so it will puntcure the filter easily. At the top of filter, drive the screwdriver through the filter and out the other side. Be careful not to ding the motor. Got just enough leverage to break the seal.. Messy, but effective... May help to remove the voltage regulator for more room...
First poke a hole in the bottom of the filter on the outside edge and let it drain into a container. Now it won't be as messy. Then get a long Phillips screwdriver and a hammer and knock it through both sides of the filter and give it a turn. The Philips screwdriver will easily penetrate the filter without having to mess up a good screwdriver.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:07 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Here's the best tool I've found, easy to use, great in tight spots on any size filter, works every time and no mess from stabbing holes in the filter!! I use an extension on a ratchet..

Last edited by Rocker B; 02-01-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:05 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Get the Fram style just one size smaller. Tap it on and the filter comes off pretty easy. Replace the filter with a K&N

Quick Reply: Best oil filter wrench