Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cam tensioners - I think they don't need replacing yet

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:47 AM
joebedford
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Cam tensioners - I think they don't need replacing yet

Here are a couple of pix of the cam tensioners on my 2002 FLHTCUI with about 25,000 miles (bike was new to me last year).

There's some wear and one or two small pits.

I don't think they're in need of replacement. Opinions?

Inner cam tensioner

outer cam tensioner

Old 05-15-2016, 10:07 AM
jm35ny
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Barely any wear on them, keep riding!

Old 05-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Jackpot Johnnie
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Based on your location I would think you can ride it this season and change them out next spring along with some new inner cam bearings. I have 33,000 on my 99 Road King and my tensioners were similar to yours maybe a little less wear. I replaced my cams so I changed the tensioners while I had it apart.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:45 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Based on the wear, the OPs tensioners are well within service limits. However, the problem with the early tensioner material, high and constant pressure from the springs and the exposure to heat and oil, the early tensioners, more often than not, could look like the OPs at 25K miles and fail catastrophically, without warning, at 26K miles. Replacing the OEM tensioners with the CYCO tensioners is cheap insurance against such a failure that can take out a motor that IMHO, why take a chance regardless of how good the tensioners look now when they could come apart down the road.............

Old 05-15-2016, 11:04 PM
hetkehog
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

true djl, but changing the tensioners isnt a matter of pulling them out and putting in new. It consist of removing cams. but even more replacing push rods or removing your rockers. Kind of a big project for tensioners that look like that. But yes i understand what your saying also. on the other hand, anything can fail at the drop of a hat. Thats my .02

Old 05-16-2016, 06:27 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

If it was me, I'd change them.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by hetkehog
true djl, but changing the tensioners isnt a matter of pulling them out and putting in new. It consist of removing cams. but even more replacing push rods or removing your rockers. Kind of a big project for tensioners that look like that. But yes i understand what your saying also. on the other hand, anything can fail at the drop of a hat. Thats my .02
I am quite familiar with what is required to replace the early OEM tensioners but, your ride, you decide. I understand the "anything can fail" comment but the early OEM tensioners have a history of failing without warning and causing seriously bad juju. So, if you want to continue running the OEM tensioners, you should be checking them once a season.

It is actually not a big project to change the tensioners. There is a tool that is available to R/R the tensioners without removing cams. There is a forum member, NomadMax, that has one of these tools that are made by a machinist friend and the tools are for sale. I have suggested to Max that his friend consider renting the tool as well as selling but don't know if that decision was ever made. You can PM Nomad Max and inquire about the tool. A video illustrating the tool and how it works is attached via the below link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoAI...ature=youtu.be

All you need is this tool, a set of the HD magnets that hold the lifters up so the cam plate/cams can be removed as an assembly. Pushrods do not have to be replaced nor do the rockers have to be removed. The rocker arm supports can be loosened up enough to move aside so the pushrods can clear and be pulled from the top.

If interested, find NomadMax on the members list and PM him about the availability of the tool, the price and the possibility of a rental..........

The following users liked this post:
coma (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 02:59 PM
coma
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
...A video illustrating the tool and how it works is attached via the below link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoAI...ature=youtu.be

All you need is this tool, a set of the HD magnets that hold the lifters up so the cam plate/cams can be removed as an assembly. Pushrods do not have to be replaced nor do the rockers have to be removed. The rocker arm supports can be loosened up enough to move aside so the pushrods can clear and be pulled from the top.

If interested, find NomadMax on the members list and PM him about the availability of the tool, the price and the possibility of a rental..........
Has anyone done this job with the tool, be interested if there was a write up about it!! Looks like a great tool!! Im especially interested in the cam plate removal without removing pushrods!!

Last edited by coma; 05-16-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:06 PM
GarageJockey
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine looks just like yours with only 10K miles. Pic in my profile album. Ride it a little more.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:15 PM
hetkehog
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweet. I will definitely be looking into that tool. Thank you

Quick Reply: Cam tensioners - I think they don't need replacing yet