Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Low oil pressure at idle, when it's hot outside

Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Low oil pressure at idle, when it's hot outside

What should the idle be to keep the oil pressure up at idle? On a warm day, my bike gets hot and I only have about 5 psi at idle (1000 rpm).
I have to keep the throttle at 1500 rpm to get approximately 10 psi. It also pings a little when it gets hot.
Is there an oil pump that I can buy that will be better?

Old 06-17-2016, 10:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Your idle is fine at 1,000rpm, as is your oil pressure. Don't worry about it. Your ping is not related to oil pressure and does need your attention, so I suggest you concentrate on that.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:07 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
What should the idle be to keep the oil pressure up at idle? On a warm day, my bike gets hot and I only have about 5 psi at idle (1000 rpm).
I have to keep the throttle at 1500 rpm to get approximately 10 psi. It also pings a little when it gets hot.
Is there an oil pump that I can buy that will be better?
I put one of these on my bike http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sifton-Bille...ZXOO0Y&vxp=mtr

The oil pressure is never below 20 psi now. you might be able to find it sold as a Daytona pump for about $105

Old 06-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadflyer
I put one of these on my bike http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sifton-Bille...ZXOO0Y&vxp=mtr

The oil pressure is never below 20 psi now. you might be able to find it sold as a Daytona pump for about $105
Thanks - I'll check into this.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:04 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought the same thing up until last weekend. For two years since i started riding as daily driver the ping was awful and little power when it did it. I swore it was oil flow problems, I too was throttling up a little and shifting at higher RPM, I also started running octane booster and thinking of oil cooler and fans. I was scheduled to spend big money to have a high volume oil pump put in.

I went to the dealer that did my dyno tune and asked them to check it and solve it, they said it is fine. After scheduling the oil pump change and reading here on the dyno topics about finding a good dyno guy I thought I would try once more with a different dealer (i have the SE pro tuner so you can't do it yourself). So I made sure I could talk directly to the best they had to offer. The tune solved the problems, he listened and did a better than expected job. I have power and no pinging anymore. No oil pump needed, no cooler needed.

So as another said here, do not focus on the pressure get a good dyno tune on it. If you have not done a custom tune do it, you will be so much happier and money ahead.

Last edited by eichacsj; 06-17-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:06 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,037 Likes on 6,170 Posts

As mentioned before-- your oil pressure is fine. I would concentrate on that pinging issue, you have much more actual potential for damage with it......

Old 06-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by eichacsj
I thought the same thing up until last weekend. For two years since i started riding as daily driver the ping was awful and little power when it did it. I swore it was oil flow problems, I too was throttling up a little and shifting at higher RPM, I also started running octane booster and thinking of oil cooler and fans. I was scheduled to spend big money to have a high volume oil pump put in.

I went to the dealer that did my dyno tune and asked them to check it and solve it, they said it is fine. After scheduling the oil pump change and reading here on the dyno topics about finding a good dyno guy I thought I would try once more with a different dealer (i have the SE pro tuner so you can't do it yourself). So I made sure I could talk directly to the best they had to offer. The tune solved the problems, he listened and did a better than expected job. I have power and no pinging anymore. No oil pump needed, no cooler needed.

So as another said here, do not focus on the pressure get a good dyno tune on it. If you have not done a custom tune do it, you will be so much happier and money ahead.
Originally Posted by martinj
As mentioned before-- your oil pressure is fine. I would concentrate on that pinging issue, you have much more actual potential for damage with it......
OK> I believe you guys. However, mine is carbureted, and I have the Daytone Twin Tec ignition module on it. I have played around with those settings, however, I could never really get rid of the ping, especially when hot. Maybe I need an ignition module with better tune-ability.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:24 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

OK> I believe you guys. However, mine is carbureted, and I have the Daytone Twin Tec ignition module on it. I have played around with those settings, however, I could never really get rid of the ping, especially when hot. Maybe I need an ignition module with better tune-ability.
I changed the Initial setting from 3 to 2, and it ran really well today, and it was hot. I still could feel the heat from the bike, but there was no pinging. Had my idle at about 1100 rpm, which is probably a little high, but the oil pressure was at 10psi.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:08 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

5 psi at 1000 rpm is right on the money.
You can also try a colder spark plug for the hotter temps during the summer.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:20 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,784 Likes on 3,300 Posts

I changed the Initial setting from 3 to 2, and it ran really well today, and it was hot. I still could feel the heat from the bike, but there was no pinging. Had my idle at about 1100 rpm, which is probably a little high, but the oil pressure was at 10psi.
Your too concerned about an issue that does not exist. Put your idle back to 900 and as long as the oil light is out there is no issue... These are roller and ball bearing motors they don't create enough resistance to increase oil pressure like a car does...

And get someone to tune it properly. Pinging is detonation and detonation is not good. If you have black specs on the porcelain of your plugs you are probably running a little lean coupled with too much advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low oil pressure at idle, when it's hot outside