Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Harley Sewing Machine Valve Train Ticking Noise Twin Cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:18 PM
jim946
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Sewing Machine Valve Train Ticking Noise Twin Cam

I had thunderheads installed on 07 Electra Glide Classic with PowerCommander V and S&S air cleaner (the new style one).

The top end noise (ticking) is so loud. I changed out the Synthetic oil for Dino 25-60. Still there.

About 30,000 miles on bike. Running super 93 octane. Stock Cam, Push Rods, 96ci, stock heads.

I purchased (not yet installed) Rockout Rockers with all new head gaskets. I was planning to stall those with Fuel Moto Adjustable pushrods if my stock rods are bent.

Am I on the right path? I've purchased all the right tools to do the job, btw I'm not good a this stuff. Very nervous. But every time I ask a harley mechanic I get, "that's normal". Well it wasn't "normal" before so I want it gone.

Everything I read tells me putting other cams in will make it worse. I just want it quieter like it was. Now it's driving me crazy. Yes I put the radio up, yes I went with a lower shield. It's all I can hear now. I'm focused on it.

Please please please someone that has solved the sewing machine clicking noise let me know if I'm doing the right things.

Thank you.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:33 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I doubt that your OEM pushrods are bent but replacing them with adjustable push rods will allow setting more preload on the lifters which should help. FYI, the FM push rods are Smith Brothers, very nice hardware but a PITA to adjust. Consider the SE Quick Install Tapered; PN 18404-08 IIRC but better check me on that. You are running the HD "B" lifters which are also good, unless for some reason one or more has gone **** up. Install the rocker lockers, install the pushrods of your choice and set preload on the lifters at .125"-.145" and see how it goes.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Get the Rockouts installed.

http://www.rockout.biz/

Old 08-07-2016, 03:08 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Earplugs/Get used to it.

I'm not being trite, I'm trying to save you some time, money and aggravation. It's a Harley and it was designed over 100 years ago. Bad noises get bad pretty fast and by that I mean they get some kinda loud. Until an old man in a Camry or Buick pulls up next to you at a light, rolls down the window and says your bike has a tapping/rapping/clacking/banging noise, ride the the thing.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:56 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Did the noise start after you installed the thunderheader exhaust?

Old 08-07-2016, 04:58 PM
jim946
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djl
I doubt that your OEM pushrods are bent but replacing them with adjustable push rods will allow setting more preload on the lifters which should help. FYI, the FM push rods are Smith Brothers, very nice hardware but a PITA to adjust. Consider the SE Quick Install Tapered; PN 18404-08 IIRC but better check me on that. You are running the HD "B" lifters which are also good, unless for some reason one or more has gone **** up. Install the rocker lockers, install the pushrods of your choice and set preload on the lifters at .125"-.145" and see how it goes.
What does that mean, "set preload on the lifters at .125"-.145"?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2016, 04:59 PM
jim946
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
Did the noise start after you installed the thunderheader exhaust?
I noticed it because the exhaust was loose when I got the bike home. After I tightened it kept coming loose. I have installed double nuts and it's fine, but now all I hear is that noise.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:08 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Thank you very much for purchasing my Rockout kit. Now put them in!

Seriously, it's a simple job, you don't need to remove the heads to do it, or replace pushrods. Lots of folks here to help, & I have email support available 7 days a week.

John @ Rockout

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:48 PM
jim946
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Thank you very much for purchasing my Rockout kit. Now put them in!

Seriously, it's a simple job, you don't need to remove the heads to do it, or replace pushrods. Lots of folks here to help, & I have email support available 7 days a week.

John @ Rockout
thanks. will be putting them in when they come in.

I was only considering changing to adjustable pushrods if that is what is causing my ticking noise.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Insure you have the exhaust tight, with a good seal at the head, load the lifter to .140" with the use of a high quality pushrod such as an S&S unit, and use the proper oil viscosity per ambient air temps as per dictated in the service manual.
Should be plenty quiet then.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer