Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   Valve Noise? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1146921-valve-noise.html)

Lunchboxx 11-18-2016 06:14 PM

Valve Noise?

Link to my video

I put in S&S 509 cams and S&S lifters and Adjustable pushrods and a rockout rocker kit I have this noise now and dont know what to do to fix it.
Thanks for any help
Jeff

ROCKOUT Rocker Products 11-18-2016 07:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just a guess, but it sounds like maybe the pushrods are rubbing on the pushrod tubes.

If you drop the tubes, you'll see evidence of it towards the top if it's the problem.

The solution is to open up the tubes a bit, here's a couple of pics from another forum, you'll want to open them up to about an inch down from the top....

Attachment 621585

Attachment 621586

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

martinj 11-19-2016 12:09 PM

Definitely sounds like rubbing. I think Rockout hit the nail on the head.

djl 11-19-2016 12:21 PM

That noise is valve train lash; one or more of the pushrods is not adjusted properly. You can ream the tubes if you want but the noise will still be there. Pick a cylinder, move the piston to TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE, pop the tube open and you will be able to move a pushrod up an down; even a tiny bit will make a lot of racket. Back off the adjustors, let the lifter spring move to zero travel and readjust. If the pushrods are tight on the first cylinder, close the tube and move to the next cylinder. One, or more, of those bad boys is loose.......:icon_wink:

martinj 11-19-2016 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by djl (Post 15691959)
That noise is valve train lash; one or more of the pushrods is not adjusted properly. You can ream the tubes if you want but the noise will still be there. Pick a cylinder, move the piston to TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE, pop the tube open and you will be able to move a pushrod up an down; even a tiny bit will make a lot of racket. Back off the adjustors, let the lifter spring move to zero travel and readjust. If the pushrods are tight on the first cylinder, close the tube and move to the next cylinder. One, or more, of those bad boys is loose.......:icon_wink:

You are probably right after listening to it again-- but my first impression was a distinct scraping sound that indicated pushrod tube interference. I can hear the lash noise as well now.....

Hillsidecycle.com 11-21-2016 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by djl (Post 15691959)

What he said.:icon_ditto:
Scott

Lunchboxx 11-23-2016 02:49 PM

How do I tell if one of the lifters is collapsed? I have adjusted the pushrods 3 or four times. Seems to only be the front cylinder. I started at 3 Turns, rode it noisy then tried 4 turns and now I am at 4.5. Same noise still. Or should I be checking anything else. I checked and there is no sign of rubbing.

Lunchboxx 11-23-2016 05:24 PM

I put a stethoscope on it and it sounds like its coming from the exhaust valve. I put the scope on the left side near where the exhaust valve is and and its coming from that valve. I readjusted made sure cam was on base circle and lossened both pushrods and then turned them till they did not move up or down and then turned it 4.5 turns. No change. Should I try 5 turns? They are S&S pushrods and S&S premium lifters.

djl 11-24-2016 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lunchboxx (Post 15703228)
I put a stethoscope on it and it sounds like its coming from the exhaust valve. I put the scope on the left side near where the exhaust valve is and and its coming from that valve. I readjusted made sure cam was on base circle and lossened both pushrods and then turned them till they did not move up or down and then turned it 4.5 turns. No change. Should I try 5 turns? They are S&S pushrods and S&S premium lifters.

How did you make sure lifter was on the base circle of the cam? Do you have your OEM lifters? Replace the offending lifter and see if the noise changes or goes away. I am thinking you still don't have pushrods adjusted properly. It's one or the other; loose pushrod or a lifter that will not hold prime. Easy one to figure out..........:icon_wink:

bobmason911 04-19-2017 08:47 PM

My experience started in restoring cars for 40 years

I treat my bikes as I would a car under restoration. Years ago I wasted more time looking for a problem compared to just ripping the whole thing apart and checking everything in reverse.
Engine noises travel. I learned that years ago. Here is my advice. Take it all out. If you find the issue and it's an overlooked mistake I would still remove it all and put it together again. Peace of mind is a beautiful thing.

Micrometer on everything. Scratch marks on casing cams not fitting properly. Did your build require removing marerial from the casing?
Never assume your new parts are flaw free. I heard from customers it's brand new I know it's not that. Well guess what? Brand new don't mean nothing. I check everything prior to installation. Anything that rides on a bearing should be checked beneath your new parts. I chased noises many of times and it really was not a big deal when done properly.

Rocker lockers should have been invented weeks after noise originally started. Decades ago. Thats just stupid lazy engineering. Ignorance of the fact.

Are u sure you do not have a lean valve ping situation?
They can get real noisy when warm. Builds without air fuel adjustments are quite common error. GOOD LUCK