Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Why do I want oil going into the intake from the engine?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by wackedout
Kevin,
Is there a performance difference between the 606 and the 636?
I will be sending my heads to Scott this winter for a improvement and am considering the HPI intake.
Yes, the patented 636v flows the air faster, and more organized, producing more power, especially when you "whack" the throttle.

They work well exceptionally well with larger throttle bodies, like the HPI. Here's a chart of a Softail with 636v and larger TB.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-22-2016, 08:18 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by mirrmu
there are so many bikes out there with stock set up running thousands of miles with the oil going into intake, not a big deal
Yep, there are a lot running that way...and everyday we talk to people who are having to retune when they have done nothing to their bike other than ride it.

My guess is you did not look at the LINK I posted above. Picture's worth a thousand words-

Old 11-22-2016, 09:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Every production vehicle on the planet built in the last few decades has ingested it's own fumes, this is not a Harley specific thing! There is absolutely no harm in doing that while your bike remains stock, or even mildly modified. I have half a million miles under my belt on a multitude of bikes and the only one that left a mess was a Harley on which I changed that breather! It's back into the air filter today and just fine.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:53 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Every production vehicle on the planet built in the last few decades has ingested it's own fumes, this is not a Harley specific thing! There is absolutely no harm in doing that while your bike remains stock, or even mildly modified. I have half a million miles under my belt on a multitude of bikes and the only one that left a mess was a Harley on which I changed that breather! It's back into the air filter today and just fine.
=============================

" There is absolutely no harm in doing that while your bike remains stock, or even mildly modified."

George,no disrespect intended & i know from reading your posts you have a lot of good 1st hand exp riding & wrenching HDs for many yrs with suspension info & or mods being your strongest.

But your above statement @ top of my post stating its not a negative thing /OK for an HD to ingest overheated hot crankcase gas full of hot oil mist is completely off base & incorrect because it's in fact never a good thing esp for a lrg disp air cooled HD motor that at times runs hotter then it should to ingest overheated hot blowby gas from crankcase full of hot oil mist into the intake & motor.

The hot over heated crankcase blowby gas thats often full of oil mist being sucked into the motors intake over time/miles causes additional carbon buildup on pistons,valves,on heads,in intake manifold & throttle body & throttle plate etc that leads to increased compression,detonation @ times,hotter cyl & overall engine temp,hotter intake temp too all leading to an overall reduction in engine perf.

How do i know that's the case,well thats coming from over 4.5 decades of 1sy hand exp disassembling & re-building motors (bikes and cars) seeing 1st hand what happens when blowby gases are ingested in the motor & crankcase gases being routed to the inatke was only done for emission /EPA/Gov regs and was never meant to improve perf because it doesnt improve or help perf at all only hurting it.

It also causes additional buildup in the intake and backside of intake valves along with also prematurely fouling/clogging the air filter with oil and spark plugs to get dirtier faster too.

And if you don't believe what i have stated on the subject think about this,why do you think the experts @ Hillside HD (Scott) & DKcustoms (Kevin) are also saying/posting here it's not good for an HD motor to ingest overheated hot crankcase blowby gas full of hot oil mist?

It's because they know thats the case from yrs of 1st hand exp seeing the problems it causes 1st hand when they tear down HD motors seeing the additional carbon buildup issues it causes along with doing pre/post dyno runs proving just removing hot crankcase gases full of oil mist from the intake made nice improvement in pwr/trq along with reducing intake temp and increasing mpg on the road too.

Will leaving stock crankcase breather setup as is cause an HD to self destruct anytime soon,not likely!

Will leaving stock crankcase breather setup as is cause an HD to loose pwr & trq over time along with also causing air filter to be soaked with oil ,reduced fuel mileage & maybe even causing detonation too,ABSOLUTELY !

If you don't see the point & or sense in what i am saying then i guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. /LOL!!

Happy motoring.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 11-26-2016 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
boston jim (12-24-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 12:08 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

I would like to find a breather kit with carb mount for my 2001 RK. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Old 11-26-2016, 02:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Road Star
I would like to find a breather kit with carb mount for my 2001 RK. Can anyone recommend a good one?
One of the kits at this LINK will work...depends on which air cleaner you're running on which ones will be best.

If you're running the stock air cleaner, then the one at this LINK is best.

If you're not sure, give us a call or email at below contact info and we'll help you get the right one for whatever you're running.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:13 AM
Marc1340
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EPA say Harley has to do it that way!! year earlier the EVOs vented to the ground and EPA said to Harley can't do this and this was there fix. Sucks that is why Re useable air cleaners we made and sold. Cars in early years use the same set up as Harley and they called it a PCV (pollution control valve) did the same thing and always put heated oil gas and fumes back into the motor via the air cleaner from the top of the valve cover one side or both. guess we are running a Harley 2 cycle motor, gas mixed oil fuel system.. I have had both set-ups one into the air cleaner and one with a small filter at the end of a rubber tube, the latter sucked in the first thing in the spring ride after sitting that oil was everywhere had to start the bike with vise grips on the rubber line and run it till warm then drain the line, the air cleaner option was just wash the K&N filter early spring. I am not a speed deamon so the loos of the small amount of power is very little notice to me. remember the Marvel Mystery oil they sold to lube the upper cases and valve system, hmm oil in the gas??? MHO

Old 11-26-2016, 05:29 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 469 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc1340
Cars in early years use the same set up as Harley and they called it a PCV (pollution control valve)
PCV valve = Positive Crankcase Ventilation

The following 3 users liked this post by Fat11Lo:
boston jim (12-24-2016), chief08 (11-26-2016), perki48 (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Engine builders love people sucking in oil through the intake. I highly recommend it to keep the economy flowing.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:46 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Engine builders enjoy telling you it's no good and better do this and that, it's like the propaganda that's spread about lifters

May as well replace everything on bike, only then will it be ready to ride on road

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do I want oil going into the intake from the engine?