Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Why do I want oil going into the intake from the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 03:03 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Interesting..so what kit is used for a CVO ventilator setup?

Old 11-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts

The air flow going thru is not fast enough to pull little if any actual oil into the throttle body. You are correct that there is some that will drip on open filter system like yours. I would not jury ring a 2017 with a pre 1960 system to the outside.
If you do, keep your old system. Around here, it will fail state inspection.
That little oil that gets on the filter will just filter the air better. Washes off with a little detergent. Just wipe the drool off the old (or in your case new) girl's chin and keep getting up. If you have less then 5K, it will actually get less since you still have a little too much blow by until 5 K or so. High speed over 4K will also bring it out or a wide overlap cam.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
The air flow going thru is not fast enough to pull little if any actual oil into the throttle body. You are correct that there is some that will drip on open filter system like yours. I would not jury ring a 2017 with a pre 1960 system to the outside.
If you do, keep your old system. Around here, it will fail state inspection.
That little oil that gets on the filter will just filter the air better. Washes off with a little detergent. Just wipe the drool off the old (or in your case new) girl's chin and keep getting up. If you have less then 5K, it will actually get less since you still have a little too much blow by until 5 K or so. High speed over 4K will also bring it out or a wide overlap cam.
No inspections in California!

Old 11-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
The air flow going thru is not fast enough to pull little if any actual oil into the throttle body. You are correct that there is some that will drip on open filter system like yours. I would not jury ring a 2017 with a pre 1960 system to the outside.....
Numerous photographs of oil caked throttle bodies, valves and the tops of pistons would tend to say otherwise.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8
Interesting..so what kit is used for a CVO ventilator setup?
With the Ventilator, either of the DIY kits at this LINK will work. They both require drilling and tapping some threads.

Either of these kits at this LINK and this LINK will also work with your Ventilator. They require drilling, but not tapping any threads.

Feel free to call or write with any questions.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-26-2016, 11:43 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
You do not want oil, into the intake tract for any reason.
Is someone telling you that you should have oil into the intake?
Scott
ya the EPA that's who

Old 12-21-2016, 10:16 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott

And if you don't believe what i have stated on the subject think about this,why do you think the experts @ Hillside HD (Scott) & DKcustoms (Kevin) are also saying/posting here it's not good for an HD motor to ingest overheated hot crankcase blowby gas full of hot oil mist?
Let's not start handing out sainthoods just yet. While agree with the philosophy that hot crankcase gases being routed back into the intake is less than an optimal process. I'm also considering rerouting mine this winter and will in all likelihood use Kevin's kit. BUT, especially in the case of DK Customs who have multiple kits for sale, there is a vested interest in promoting this modification. Move product and increase sales. Which is kind of the point of running a business. So I'm sure that has some influence on their position on the issue.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Little Mike
Let's not start handing out sainthoods just yet. While agree with the philosophy that hot crankcase gases being routed back into the intake is less than an optimal process.
That's a great quote!

All this stuff really is just hot air. Take a BMW flat twin, which shifts twice as much air through it's crankcase breather than it does air through it's cylinders - considerably more than any Harley. They work, as do Harley breathers, so let's get over it FFS.

Happy Xmas to you all but don't breath too deep, who knows what harm may result.....

Old 12-22-2016, 05:18 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Let's not start handing out sainthoods just yet. While agree with the philosophy that hot crankcase gases being routed back into the intake is less than an optimal process. I'm also considering rerouting mine this winter and will in all likelihood use Kevin's kit. BUT, especially in the case of DK Customs who have multiple kits for sale, there is a vested interest in promoting this modification. Move product and increase sales. Which is kind of the point of running a business. So I'm sure that has some influence on their position on the issue.
DK and others manufactured kits to meet demands, they did not manufacture kits to create demand. This issue has been around for quite some time. I did not use one of their kits, I drilled and tapped my breather assembly to add drain lines and it has worked flawlessly. As I mentioned earlier, there was a 20° drop in the intake air temperature as measured on my PVII after the mod versus before.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Nope, no sainthood needed. lol

While we are in biz to make money, we go about it a bit differently than most...most companies focus on what they have to do to make money (profit), we have a bit of a different philosophy.

Rather than focus on making a profit, we focus on making products that we believe in, products that will enhance a persons riding experience. It is our belief that if we do this correctly, then the natural result will be profitable.

Every single item on our website is a product that we use on our own bikes.

Nothing goes on our website (whether made by us or someone else) that we do not believe enhances our own rides, AND is worth the $ spent for the enhancement provided.

It does not matter how "profitable" selling item xyz may be...if we would not buy it for our own bikes, then it would betray the foundation we've built DK on...treat others as you would want them to treat you.

That said, I do not want the inside of my engine to look like the photo below, so I run, and have always run, an EBS on all my engines.

Quick Reply: Why do I want oil going into the intake from the engine?