Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   Why do I want oil going into the intake from the engine? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1147248-why-do-i-want-oil-going-into-the-intake-from-the-engine.html)

wackedout 11-21-2016 07:03 AM

Why do I want oil going into the intake from the engine?

Kind of a Noob question i know but I am really hoping you all can answer this for me.

I have a 2017 FLSTFBS I installed the SE Heavy Breather recently and have been curious as to why I would want the intake to breathe in oil from the engine? I must be missing something it just seamed like it is taking in an awful lot of oil as well because when I removed the OEM cleaner there was oil just dripping from it.

Road Gliderman 11-21-2016 08:56 AM

You don't want oil going into the intake it is there for an emissions control setup, gas fumes and pressure built up inside the engine go back through he breather to be re-burnt in the combustion cycle. The problem is that dirty oil is carboning up your engine. To slow this down fill the oil to the half way point on the dipstick.

Uncle Larry 11-21-2016 08:58 AM

Vent to atmosphere.

HKMark23 11-21-2016 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 15696257)
Vent to atmosphere.

:icon_bunny: "Oh the humanity" !!! :D

Juan L 11-21-2016 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by wackedout (Post 15696035)
Kind of a Noob question i know but I am really hoping you all can answer this for me.

I have a 2017 FLSTFBS I installed the SE Heavy Breather recently and have been curious as to why I would want the intake to breathe in oil from the engine? I must be missing something it just seamed like it is taking in an awful lot of oil as well because when I removed the OEM cleaner there was oil just dripping from it.

There's many threads and many manufacturers of kits to give you ideas on how to tackle this problem. When I vented mine to the atmosphere, my intake air temp dropped 23° as measured with my PVII.

Hillsidecycle.com 11-21-2016 10:30 AM

You do not want oil, into the intake tract for any reason.
Is someone telling you that you should have oil into the intake?
Scott

DK Custom 11-21-2016 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by wackedout (Post 15696035)

You don't want oil going into your intake. It is hot, oily & oxygen depleted. It reduces your power and longevity of your engine.

The EPA wants it in there...but even their reasoning is unsound. If you vent externally, with an EBS, you will get better gas mileage and use less parts in the long run. Net result=Less pollution when venting externally.

Here is a LINK where you can read and see photo's and dyno charts of the benefits of using an External Breather System.

wackedout 11-21-2016 11:33 PM

Kevin,
Is there a performance difference between the 606 and the 636?
I will be sending my heads to Scott this winter for a improvement and am considering the HPI intake.

mirrmu 11-22-2016 01:11 AM

there are so many bikes out there with stock set up running thousands of miles with the oil going into intake, not a big deal

msocko3 11-22-2016 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by wackedout (Post 15698635)
Kevin,
Is there a performance difference between the 606 and the 636?
I will be sending my heads to Scott this winter for a improvement and am considering the HPI intake.

I'd lean heavily on Scott's experience, since he's doing the head work. The man knows how to make power and knows what air filter setups flow the best.