Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Andrews 288157 fits stock 99-06 chain or SE 25284-11 plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:26 AM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Andrews 288157 fits stock 99-06 chain or SE 25284-11 plate?

Andrews says "Camshafts listed on this page also fit Screaming Eagle chain
drive conversion kits; HD part number 25284-11". Does this mean it fits either? Stock chain or SE plate upgrade. If so what's different about this cam compared to the other 99-06 cams listed on this page?

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites...014-page11.pdf

Old 02-10-2017, 11:04 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Answer is yes. Nothing different about that cam from the others except that the 57 cam was new in '14 and many of the other cams like the 21, 26, 37, etc. have been around forever. All will fit both OEM cam plate and 25284-11 cam plate which is the SE Hybrid conversion that allows conversion of '99-'07 cam chests to hydraulic tensioners and outer roller chain but retaining OEM cams. The only thing to be aware of is that if the early model is pre '05 beehive springs, cams with more than .525" lift will require a spring change to accommodate the higher lift.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:02 PM
chevdude
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl
Answer is yes. Nothing different about that cam from the others except that the 57 cam was new in '14 and many of the other cams like the 21, 26, 37, etc. have been around forever. All will fit both OEM cam plate and 25284-11 cam plate which is the SE Hybrid conversion that allows conversion of '99-'07 cam chests to hydraulic tensioners and outer roller chain but retaining OEM cams. The only thing to be aware of is that if the early model is pre '05 beehive springs, cams with more than .525" lift will require a spring change to accommodate the higher lift.
Awesome man, thanks for the detailed explanation. I have some 06 heads done by BigBoyz I'm using for my homebuilt 95" econo build. For some reason the newer cams are highlighted for use with either plate and the other cams are not. I'm not sure if I want to purchase the SE plate or just replace OE shoes with Cyco parts since I already have the jig. I guess not a clear catalog update.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:11 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by chevdude
Awesome man, thanks for the detailed explanation. I have some 06 heads done by BigBoyz I'm using for my homebuilt 95" econo build. For some reason the newer cams are highlighted for use with either plate and the other cams are not. I'm not sure if I want to purchase the SE plate or just replace OE shoes with Cyco parts since I already have the jig. I guess not a clear catalog update.
No disrespect but there is an note in red italics on the linked Andrews sheet that clearly states that the "cam listed on this page also fit Screaming Eagle chain drive conversion kits; Harley Davidson part number 25284-11"; I think I would take that note literally.

The '06 heads will accommodate the higher lift of the 57 cams but those cams like compression near 10.2. So, unless the heads have been decked and you can hit that compression, you might want to look at the 48 cams. Use the Big Boyz compression calculator, plug in your data and try to find a cam that will set corrected compression at 9.3-9.6 and/or CCP 190-195psi.

Don't know what pistons you are using but if SE pistons, you should check piston to valve clearance as the valve reliefs on the SE pistons are often times not cut out far enough for larger valves which are usually included in head work for a 95"build. However and in the past, Bean's "street" port retained OEM valves and larger valves would only be installed at the owner's request.

JMHO but new inner and outer cam bearings, a set of CYCO shoes and, if budget allows, a Daytona high capacity oil pump are all you need for that build configuration. If no to the Daytona pump, replace the pressure relief valve spring with the Baisley LMR-002 spring to boost hot idle oil pressure.

Last edited by djl; 02-10-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:36 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

FWIW there is no comparison between the spring loaded tensioners and the hydraulics.
The hydraulics are dead reliable and the spring loaded ones? Not so much!
Bob

Old 02-10-2017, 01:41 PM
chevdude
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl
No disrespect but there is an note in red italics on the linked Andrews sheet that clearly states that the "cam listed on this page also fit Screaming Eagle chain drive conversion kits; Harley Davidson part number 25284-11"; I think I would take that note literally.

The '06 heads will accommodate the higher lift of the 57 cams but those cams like compression near 10.2. So, unless the heads have been decked and you can hit that compression, you might want to look at the 48 cams. Use the Big Boyz compression calculator, plug in your data and try to find a cam that will set corrected compression at 9.3-9.6 and/or CCP 190-195psi.

Don't know what pistons you are using but if SE pistons, you should check piston to valve clearance as the valve reliefs on the SE pistons are often times not cut out far enough for larger valves which are usually included in head work for a 95"build. However and in the past, Bean's "street" port retained OEM valves and larger valves would only be installed at the owner's request.

JMHO but new inner and outer cam bearings, a set of CYCO shoes and, if budget allows, a Daytona high capacity oil pump are all you need for that build configuration. If no to the Daytona pump, replace the pressure relief valve spring with the Baisley LMR-002 spring to boost hot idle oil pressure.

Cool! Some other good info on pump and spring. I'll do some reading up on those items. I had my heads milled to 81cc so I'm at 9.04:1 CCR. I was trying to stay out of detonation, but I don't want a lazy ride either. I just ordered the 57, maybe I should of went with the 48. Think it's going to be lazy at my CCR? I do have 3.37 gearing.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:41 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Cool! Some other good info on pump and spring. I'll do some reading up on those items. I had my heads milled to 81cc so I'm at 9.04:1 CCR. I was trying to stay out of detonation, but I don't want a lazy ride either. I just ordered the 57, maybe I should of went with the 48. Think it's going to be lazy at my CCR? I do have 3.37 gearing.
I don't get the same CCR; I get just bit less at 8.97:1 with .030" head gasket and 81cc chambers. Did you allow for deck height? Pistons are normally down in the hole .003"-.005" on the TC88 cylinders. The 3.37 gearing will certainly help but the 57 cams will be under performing at 9:1 CCR.

Depending on where you are in the build.

1. Bore to 98"; larger bore will boost CCR to about 9.2 and CCP about 190; better but still a bit less than optimal for the 57 cams.
2. Stick at 95" and a 3cc domed piston; CP and Wiseco both offer.
3.Send the 57 back and exchange for the 48.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:01 AM
chevdude
Road Captain

Much appreciate you chiming in. I'm going to follow your advice as this is my first build, and I can tell you've been down this road many times. Thanks for taking the time to explain the options to another newbie engine builder. I don't want a lazy overcammed engine!

Old 02-11-2017, 12:22 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Much appreciate you chiming in. I'm going to follow your advice as this is my first build, and I can tell you've been down this road many times. Thanks for taking the time to explain the options to another newbie engine builder. I don't want a lazy overcammed engine!
Just to be clear, compared to stock, you will be happy with the 57 cams. Might be a bit on the lazy side, not over cammed but you would not be getting the most out of the cam set. The options I listed are within the context of sticking with Andrews cams and leaving your heads as is. Of course you could change cams, say the S&S 583 for the 57 or send the heads to a local machine shop and cut another .030"-.040" off to set chambers at 76cc to boost compression for the 57s. Or you could just go ahead with the build, see how it turns out; you might be happy with the results. I am just throwing things out for you to consider, not trying to tell you how you should build the motor. I went through three cams on my last build before I got the results I wanted.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:38 PM
chevdude
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl
Just to be clear, compared to stock, you will be happy with the 57 cams. Might be a bit on the lazy side, not over cammed but you would not be getting the most out of the cam set. The options I listed are within the context of sticking with Andrews cams and leaving your heads as is. Of course you could change cams, say the S&S 583 for the 57 or send the heads to a local machine shop and cut another .030"-.040" off to set chambers at 76cc to boost compression for the 57s. Or you could just go ahead with the build, see how it turns out; you might be happy with the results. I am just throwing things out for you to consider, not trying to tell you how you should build the motor. I went through three cams on my last build before I got the results I wanted.
Cool, I'll take that into consideration.

By the way you're right I didn't account fop deck clearance when using the compression calculator. I have SE cylinders. Do you know if they are closer to zero?

Quick Reply: Andrews 288157 fits stock 99-06 chain or SE 25284-11 plate?