Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   2005 Dyna using excessive oil. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1166267-2005-dyna-using-excessive-oil.html)

active1951 03-24-2017 04:49 PM

2005 Dyna using excessive oil.

10K miles, no smoke at all anytime, plugs fine, using at least 1 quart per 1,500 miles maybe more.
even after a 60 mile ride can see oil level drop a little.
maybe exhaust valve seals leaking oil into pipes?

nhrider1 03-25-2017 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by active1951 (Post 16065554)
10K miles, no smoke at all anytime, plugs fine, using at least 1 quart per 1,500 miles maybe more.
even after a 60 mile ride can see oil level drop a little.
maybe exhaust valve seals leaking oil into pipes?

05's had problems with valve seals. That's where I would start looking. It was a very common problem.

13RoadKing 03-25-2017 05:43 PM

If ignition plugs are black:
clean plugs with torch or install new plugs. Mark them with touch up paint to know plugs position in heads. Run engine for a minute, remove plug and check if it is black from intake valve side. I don't know how long it will take for your plugs to get black from one side, it can be 1 min. or 10 miles riding. If you keep them there too long, they will get black completely and you'll lose your chance to catch right time for diagnosis.

active1951 03-25-2017 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 13RoadKing (Post 16068966)
If ignition plugs are black:
clean plugs with torch or install new plugs. Mark them with touch up paint to know plugs position in heads. Run engine for a minute, remove plug and check if it is black from intake valve side. I don't know how long it will take for your plugs to get black from one side, it can be 1 min. or 10 miles riding. If you keep them there too long, they will get black completely and you'll lose your chance to catch right time for diagnosis.

Very interesting, thanks for the idea.
If exhaust valve seal is leaking will it show on plugs or just get pushed out pipes?
My plugs look good. The only time they looked bad was when I was running lower rpms before I discovered these TCs like to spin, not be bogged etc.
I have stage one cleaner and pipes.
Bought bike with 8,000 miles, 9,500 miles noticed oil usage, now I have 11,800 on it.

BMyers 03-25-2017 06:53 PM

Pull the exhaust and intake and look into the ports. You'll know for sure.

active1951 03-26-2017 05:01 AM

reality

Originally Posted by BMyers (Post 16069224)
Pull the exhaust and intake and look into the ports. You'll know for sure.

the truth hurts sometimes, but yea, I will know for sure ...

Hillsidecycle.com 03-27-2017 07:16 AM

More than likely seals.
Scott

TXCHOP 03-27-2017 07:51 AM

A lot of the times when the seals go bad, the plugs have a crusty deposit on them.

Have done my fair share of seals on 05 bikes. Crappy seals, be sure to use the updated version if doing. There is a pictorial in the bigboyz website.

djl 03-27-2017 11:19 AM

Replace the valve guide seals; many were replaced under warranty. A widely know problem and the MoCo issue tech bulletin on the crappy seals. '05 was first year for beehive springs and new guide seals.

active1951 04-20-2017 04:03 PM

oil usage update - great news maybe

After reading many different threads/posts, I let my oil level go down to 1/4 inch above add(1 quart) level. Ran it three 60 mile rides, on my twisty county roads. Some light throttle, but also romping through corners in 4th gear. Checked oil level EXACTLY the same way 3 times and ABSOLUTELY no oil loss. :icon_party:

Before last ride I took off air cleaner and I saw some oil on blow-by tubes in intake. I have the stage one a/c and exhaust. Maybe my bike is SUPER sensitive to oil level blow by issues.

I will let oil remain at that level a few more rides, then empty pan, sump, and change/drain filter to measure EXACTLY how much oil was in system at that particular oil level. BTW, my oil level is about the same hot/cold.

Been chasing this problem for 2 years. I like this bike more than any other, but I was ready to change valve seals or sell it.:icon_omg: