Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

First Build 04 FXST

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Stox
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Build 04 FXST

Well I got tired of the TC 88 and decided to make her bigger this winter. I went with a Fuel Moto 98in BB Kit. Came with everything. New 510 Cams. The works. Upgraded the cam chest to the hydraulic cam plate. Awesome and easy install. I have no head work done and was looking to still keep the bike driveable on a daily basis. I've also got a stage two big sucker intake and the V&H Big Radius duel exhaust. Stock CV Carb. Tuning this beast is where I'm having some issues. I've completely rebuild the carb, rejetted as large as is recommended with a 50 pilot jet and 200 main jet. She fires right up with the choke and will idle. A little rough at first but once fluide got through everything she quieted right down. My issue is she's blowin black smoke pretty bad. Easy fix right, running rich, so down the pilot jet. So I downed the pilot jet to a 48 and also the main jet to 195. She still blows black smoke. Now I'm still breaking her in so haven't blipped the throttle at all just letting her warm up to temp and cool off. She won't run if I push the choke back in, and she won't accept ANY throttle. It'll just blow more black smoke and die on me. I'm not a Harley tech but very mechanically savvy. It seems like I'm missing something and I'm looking for any and all advice or pointers on this one. She's not my only ride but she's my favorite ride and need her on the road. Unfortunately I don't really want to spend the money at the dealership and I honestly don't trust them to not screw me over. After I've done all this work I'd hate for it to be something easily rectified. Any and all help will be appreciated!!!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Blowing black smoke = too much fuel; gotta find where it's coming from. Since you had the carb apart and jetting is not that far from where it should be for that configuration, I am guessing something has gone wrong in the re-assembly of the carb? Before taking pulling the carb though, I would check the A/F idle screw setting; that's the starting point to jetting and sizing the pilot jet. Are you jusing all OEM carb parts?

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/c...leshooting.htm

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...arburetor.html

Last edited by djl; 04-03-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Stox
6th Gear

Yes I am using all OEM parts bought from CV-Performance. I've played with the A/F mixture screw and have it adjusted to the best of my knowledge as well... It's right at 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 turns out. I will read into the links you've provided and see where it takes me next!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

2 1/2-3 turns on air/idle.
45-48 pilot
180-190 main.
Where's the timing?
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:08 AM
Stox
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
2 1/2-3 turns on air/idle.
45-48 pilot
180-190 main.
Where's the timing?
Scott

I've been pulling my hair out cuz I know I'm missing something and I just don't think it's in the carb... took it apart and everything is completely correct from top to bottom... changed to a 46 pilot and 195 main... screw has been adjusted from 1-1/2 all the way to 3 turns out with no change... the bike will run on the choke and puff small amounts of black smoke at an idle... plugs come out soot black (used two new sets)... as soon as I touch the throttle in the slightest bit it seems to run off time... push heavy black smoke, and quickly stalls with a sneeze out the carb and it drools sooty fuel out from the venturie out of the carb... I'm positive I've got my cam dots all lined up but my question is... do either of the cylinders have to be in a certain position when the cams are installed with the dots lined up? Like the front cylinder at TDC? I'm thinking it could be timing but not sure, and to my knowledge there's no external adjustment for timing...

Old 04-07-2017, 09:26 AM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Different jets work at different throttle angles. You need to find out, so you can make decisions about jet replacement.
As I remember:
pilot 0-5%
holes (not jets) next to throttle edge 2-10%
accel pump when you open throttle
main jet 10%- up
I don't remember exactly, hopefully somebody will correct me.
I would start with checking fuel level.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Stox
6th Gear

I've been pulling my hair out cuz I know I'm missing something and I just don't think it's in the carb... took it apart and everything is completely correct from top to bottom... changed to a 46 pilot and 195 main... screw has been adjusted from 1-1/2 all the way to 3 turns out with no change... the bike will run on the choke and puff small amounts of black smoke at an idle... plugs come out soot black (used two new sets)... as soon as I touch the throttle in the slightest bit it seems to run off time... push heavy black smoke, and quickly stalls with a sneeze out the carb and it drools sooty fuel out from the venturie out of the carb... I'm positive I've got my cam dots all lined up but my question is... do either of the cylinders have to be in a certain position when the cams are installed with the dots lined up? Like the front cylinder at TDC? I'm thinking it could be timing but not sure, and to my knowledge there's no external adjustment for timing...

Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Stox
6th Gear

I'm finally going to have some time tonight to tare into her again tonight. After re-jetting three times now and having absolutely no change in the syptoms, into the cam chest I go to make sure my timing marks are all lined up and everything is copasetic in there. Going to add a little more adjustment to the pushrods upon re-installation. After talking to Fuel-Moto they recommend a total of 28-29 flats of total adjustment out on the adjustable pushrods. Then we'll have to see where we're at. I'm really hoping I just screwed up and I'm off by just one tooth. If not then I'm really at a loss. I'll keep ya'll updated! Any more info or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-11-2017, 01:51 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,809 Likes on 3,314 Posts

A quick compression test will tell you if your off a tooth or not. You'll probably see 30 psi between front and rear cylinder if it is....

Old 04-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

25-30 psi difference will alert to having the cams off 1 tooth.
It'll still run though, and not really have the symptoms being described.
I'd go into the cam chest, and back-track.
Scott

Quick Reply: First Build 04 FXST