Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Big bore break in issues 02 dyna...fueling??

Old 04-16-2017, 07:19 PM
pegskraper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big bore break in issues 02 dyna...fueling??

So this winter I got my jugs bored out to 95", wiseco domed pistons, 10.5:1 compression with headwork, s&s 585 cams, hybrid hydraulic cam tensioner setup, adjustable pushrods, new lifters. I checked every spec and clearance on my rockers etc, everything is good there.

While I was at it I rebuilt the carb with the cv performance ultimate kit. I followed their instructions and jetted it to a 50 slow jet/200 main jet. Ran their needle, got a new slide, new accelator pump diagphragm. Checked the float postion at 17.5 degrees, was inside spec there.

I did the heat cycles, and the bike ran fine, but that was only at 1400 rpm. Got done those, drained the oil, cut the filter, a bit of metal but I expected that. New oil, filter. Took it out on the road, trying to follow the S&S break in, below 2500 rpm, on back roads, going through the gears etc. Did this for about 60 miles, the bike ran fairly normal in the lower gears, but 3, 4, 5, at 2500 rpm the throttle became "snatchy", like it wasn't getting enough fuel, or getting too much or something..kind of surging, accelerating then stumbling..over and over... I looked at the front plug, super black so it seemed really rich. Drained the oil, cut the filter, really minor amounts of steel grit in there, seems normal..

I called the builder, he said I was way too rich. So I jetted it to 48/195. Same result more or less, a little better though. I find that once I get to 3000 rpm in 3rd and 4th the bike wants to take off, but still a bit snatchy between 2500-3000. The problem continues in 5th, but if I get it to 3k, it also wants to go. It's just this range from 2500-3k rpms where this happens. Also with this jetting I can make it stumble lean at 1 turn out, and speed up rich at 3.25 turns out on the idle mix screw, so I feel that this jetting is ballpark correct?? I have it running at 2 turns out right now. No decel pop or anything so it's not too lean, the plug is still crazy black.

Also, it never ever happens in first no matter how hard I twist the throttle, but if I get aggressive in 2nd I can make it happen, just way less than in the higher gears. I cleaned my fuel filter, pulled the vapor valve and made sure it works, also the gas cap check is working, hit it with air to make sure it moves. Was stuck before I hit it with air, but the result is the same basically so I don't think it's vacuum locking ( was really hoping that was the case!)

Am I just really rich? Is this just the way the bike is going to run, is it the cam that's making it a dog in 2500-3k range in the higher gears? I won't go past 3500 and will only just touch that then back right off when I hit it because I'm trying to break it in..it seems to react fine above 3k...I feel like I can't accelerate hard with the way it's running unless I'm running higher rpms and I was told that this setup gives you power everywhere...totally confused???? Help?!?

Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

What do you have the timing set to?? I would have stayed with the 200 main but 48 pilot should be good. You could even go back to the 45.. Might want to toss a washer under the needle and see if that helps.

When you got good compression, the TC ignition system will burn about any AFR that is rich.. You might want to check cranking pressure.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Go 46 2 turns out 200 main.
i have done this combo on a few bikes and this works well.
you might make the 48 pilot work, I have had better luck with the 46.
2 turns is a solid starting point, most likely find your self in the 2 1/2 range.
the 200 main is pretty solid.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:49 PM
pegskraper
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What do you have the timing set to?? I would have stayed with the 200 main but 48 pilot should be good. You could even go back to the 45.. Might want to toss a washer under the needle and see if that helps.

When you got good compression, the TC ignition system will burn about any AFR that is rich.. You might want to check cranking pressure.
I haven't touched the timing, it's just the stock ignition the bike came with. I timed the cam gears as per the manual..I will check compression, but I'm not sure what number I should have there

Old 04-17-2017, 01:24 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pegskraper
I haven't touched the timing, it's just the stock ignition the bike came with. I timed the cam gears as per the manual..I will check compression, but I'm not sure what number I should have there
You need to change the ignition.. If you are running 10.5 to 1 with a SnS 585 cams, the stock ignition timing will be way off for the build..

Did you have the heads CCed? What HG did you use? Was squish set? Stock CR is about 8.6 to 1.. cranking compression of about 160 psi. The Wiseco dome is about 14cc depending on what was done to the heads (milled), you're CR will actually be closer to 10.8 or higher.. Stock ignition has way too much timing..

Do a compression check, even with the 45 degree intake close your cranking pressure is above 190 psi.. Did the builder say anything about the ignition? Did you make any changes from his std build?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Start, with a DDT ignition at Mode, Multi-spark, 2/2, 6000, on that.
OEM ignition can/will blow the top ring land off that.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
The following users liked this post:
pegskraper (05-03-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 AM
pegskraper
Advanced
Cool

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
You need to change the ignition.. If you are running 10.5 to 1 with a SnS 585 cams, the stock ignition timing will be way off for the build..

Did you have the heads CCed? What HG did you use? Was squish set? Stock CR is about 8.6 to 1.. cranking compression of about 160 psi. The Wiseco dome is about 14cc depending on what was done to the heads (milled), you're CR will actually be closer to 10.8 or higher.. Stock ignition has way too much timing..

Do a compression check, even with the 45 degree intake close your cranking pressure is above 190 psi.. Did the builder say anything about the ignition? Did you make any changes from his std build?
I made no changes from his standard build, it's identical to one my friend got on his 2000 superglide. I am not sure of the squish set, I know the rings were cut to the correct length by the builder. I think the heads were milled .020". He never gave me the CC or HG he used, not sure what the HG is. This is a build he's done a lot of times for bikes like mine, he's an older guy, I called him up and got the identical build as my friend did. He's really happy with his bike. I'm not sure if my buddy changed out his ignition. I'll find out though. I believe the builder said I could get away with stock ignition. I'll call him today also.. Problem is I live 5 hours away from the builder so I'm kind of on my own getting it running. I tore it down and put it together using the shop manual. I brought him the heads and jugs, he provided me all the parts for the build.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I made no changes from his standard build, it's identical to one my friend got on his 2000 superglide. I am not sure of the squish set, I know the rings were cut to the correct length by the builder. I think the heads were milled .020". He never gave me the CC or HG he used, not sure what the HG is. This is a build he's done a lot of times for bikes like mine, he's an older guy, I called him up and got the identical build as my friend did. He's really happy with his bike. I'm not sure if my buddy changed out his ignition. I'll find out though. I believe the builder said I could get away with stock ignition. I'll call him today also.. Problem is I live 5 hours away from the builder so I'm kind of on my own getting it running. I tore it down and put it together using the shop manual. I brought him the heads and jugs, he provided me all the parts for the build.
Sorry, HG is head gasket.. You build might have have forgotten to tell you about the ignition.. If he says it's no required, I would suggest finding another. The ignition a really requirement at this compression ratio.. Scott's recommendation is right on.. DDT somewhere around 2/2 2/3 3/2 (advance / initial switch setting) seems to work well on a higher compression 95 ci motor..

If your buddy is running the exact same motor build with a stock ignition, he is likely in for issues down the road and you'll likely smoke him if you add an ignition.

The main thing to remember is that by increasing compression, you've made the motor burn fuel much more efficiently. As a result timing need to be retarded.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:35 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

So this winter I got my jugs bored out to 95", wiseco domed pistons, 10.5:1 compression with headwork, s&s 585 cams, hybrid hydraulic cam tensioner setup, adjustable pushrods, new lifters. I checked every spec and clearance on my rockers etc, everything is good there.

While I was at it I rebuilt the carb with the cv performance ultimate kit. I followed their instructions and jetted it to a 50 slow jet/200 main jet. Ran their needle, got a new slide, new accelator pump diagphragm. Checked the float postion at 17.5 degrees, was inside spec there.

I did the heat cycles, and the bike ran fine, but that was only at 1400 rpm. Got done those, drained the oil, cut the filter, a bit of metal but I expected that. New oil, filter. Took it out on the road, trying to follow the S&S break in, below 2500 rpm, on back roads, going through the gears etc. Did this for about 60 miles, the bike ran fairly normal in the lower gears, but 3, 4, 5, at 2500 rpm the throttle became "snatchy", like it wasn't getting enough fuel, or getting too much or something..kind of surging, accelerating then stumbling..over and over... I looked at the front plug, super black so it seemed really rich. Drained the oil, cut the filter, really minor amounts of steel grit in there, seems normal..

I called the builder, he said I was way too rich. So I jetted it to 48/195. Same result more or less, a little better though. I find that once I get to 3000 rpm in 3rd and 4th the bike wants to take off, but still a bit snatchy between 2500-3000. The problem continues in 5th, but if I get it to 3k, it also wants to go. It's just this range from 2500-3k rpms where this happens. Also with this jetting I can make it stumble lean at 1 turn out, and speed up rich at 3.25 turns out on the idle mix screw, so I feel that this jetting is ballpark correct?? I have it running at 2 turns out right now. No decel pop or anything so it's not too lean, the plug is still crazy black.

Also, it never ever happens in first no matter how hard I twist the throttle, but if I get aggressive in 2nd I can make it happen, just way less than in the higher gears. I cleaned my fuel filter, pulled the vapor valve and made sure it works, also the gas cap check is working, hit it with air to make sure it moves. Was stuck before I hit it with air, but the result is the same basically so I don't think it's vacuum locking ( was really hoping that was the case!)

Am I just really rich? Is this just the way the bike is going to run, is it the cam that's making it a dog in 2500-3k range in the higher gears? I won't go past 3500 and will only just touch that then back right off when I hit it because I'm trying to break it in..it seems to react fine above 3k...I feel like I can't accelerate hard with the way it's running unless I'm running higher rpms and I was told that this setup gives you power everywhere...totally confused???? Help?!?
What does the rear plug look like??

Old 04-17-2017, 12:54 PM
kenfuzed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with the others, this sounds like an ignition problem not a jetting problem. Stock ignition is not going to cut it with that compression ratio and described build. Also it wouldn't hurt to check for trouble codes in case a sensor was buggered during the build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big bore break in issues 02 dyna...fueling??