Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

I need cam opinion

Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 AM
duster44t@aol.com
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need cam opinion

I have a 2007 Heritage and I'm kicking around the idea of putting slightly bigger cams (maybe S&S) in it but I have some concerns.
I have V&H exhaust and a high flow air cleaner on it with a Harley stage 1 tune. I'm not looking to go very big, just to give it a bit more rumble at idle. I'm thinking about the S&S 551 cams but when I talk to them they tell me I'll have issues but Harley service tells me I'll be fine......what should I do? If I have to have a different tune put on it at the Harley shop I will but I don't want things so bad that it can't even be driven to the shop (popping, back fire, etc.). I'm not dead set on the 551, I just seen the specs on it and it will give me a bit more bottom end.....not worried about top or higher rpm's. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this or tried it? There has to be someone. Thanks guys.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Brian Kelley
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you have a mostly stock bike? Is it 96ci that year?
I have an all stock '05 Softail Deluxe with 88, Thunderheader, carb, dynojet kit and K&N air filter-> Stage 1. I put in a gear-driven S&S 510G kit and am real happy. Big wake up. Wide torque curve and just pulls hard through hi rpms.
But not sure about 96. It may have the high compression and valve clearance,etc. to take in a hotter, higher lift cam. What you need is the builder experts here to chime in. They know the engines and setups cold.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Do a search..
Use Google and type in something like hd forums cams 96".
There are probably hundreds of cam threads for the 96.
If your motor is stock and your just looking for torque you can search Andrews 48 or Woods 222.
If its lopey your looking for try SE 204.
If you check you tube you can probably find videos of sounds of each.
Good luck.
There's a ton of info to sift thru

Old 04-26-2017, 05:44 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by duster44t@aol.com
I have a 2007 Heritage and I'm kicking around the idea of putting slightly bigger cams (maybe S&S) in it but I have some concerns.
I have V&H exhaust and a high flow air cleaner on it with a Harley stage 1 tune. I'm not looking to go very big, just to give it a bit more rumble at idle. I'm thinking about the S&S 551 cams but when I talk to them they tell me I'll have issues but Harley service tells me I'll be fine......what should I do? If I have to have a different tune put on it at the Harley shop I will but I don't want things so bad that it can't even be driven to the shop (popping, back fire, etc.). I'm not dead set on the 551, I just seen the specs on it and it will give me a bit more bottom end.....not worried about top or higher rpm's. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this or tried it? There has to be someone. Thanks guys.
You really do not need to look any further than a set of Andrews 48 cams.
Big, broad, torque.
If you ever bore to 103", even more.
A tune after the install will have you smiling.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:56 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Like Scott says, stop thinking about it and drop in a set of Andrews 48s; best bolt in option for a cam only upgrade for a 96" motor. Do yourself a favor and install a good fuel management system like the DJ Power Vision and get a proper dyno tune. A proper tune is the icing on the cake after the cam install. The HD Stage I flash is a waste of $$.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

What he said........
Scott

Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 PM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by duster44t@aol.com
Curious as to what issues they say you'll have?