Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

New 1200 custom oil drips after ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Well I had a seat retaining bolt fall off the day I picked it up. The bike was 22 miles old for its first warranty claim and now the seconds at 1060 any guesses what's next?
Shitty thing I was told they can't get the parts required for the repair till Wednesday the 12th some 7 days away

Funny really as it only took 4 days to fly to the moon ��

Wiz
no big deal either.

you are making mountains out of molehills and playing the victim role. you need to go over your bike with a torque wrench and the service manual. again, YOU are your last line of defence and QC. it's a motorcycle, not a car.... regular condition checks... you know, T-CLOCS ( http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/t-c..._checklist.pdf ) are very important. neglect at your own peril. in your case. 2nd C in T-CLOCS -> CHASSIS

Don't depend on a dealer to do ANYTHING right, and triple check your invoices and work orders.

sounds mean but, is being said with love.

prime example:
i recently dropped both my bikes off for dyno tuning at the dealer... take a look at the cursory inspection paperwork below.... explain to me how this is possible. i didn't care because i stay on top of my maintence and was not going to beef over this sorta crap. i could care less but, someone who doesn't and trusts the dealer to everything would be in for a surprise if the depended on a dealer to do everything on the up and up. just saying.

own it

bike 1-

bike 2-

Last edited by cvaria; 07-08-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
no big deal either.

you are making mountains out of molehills and playing the victim role. you need to go over your bike with a torque wrench and the service manual. again, YOU are your last line of defence and QC. it's a motorcycle, not a car.... regular condition checks... you know, T-CLOCS ( http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/t-c..._checklist.pdf ) are very important. neglect at your own peril. in your case. 2nd C in T-CLOCS -> CHASSIS

Don't depend on a dealer to do ANYTHING right, and triple check your invoices and work orders.

sounds mean but, is being said with love.

prime example:
I get your point totally, But the victim roll really. That's a bit of a stretch If using the same premess you suggest would you check the torque settings of the wheel nuts of a new car you just brought just in case a wheel might fall off on the drive home ?.
Your right I maybe looking into this at a different way from others here but .... New is New and really I shouldn't have to deal with these sort of issues. As I said beforehand if I wanted little things to be fixed I would have saved my self some money and got something second hand.

Wiz

Old 07-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

I get your point totally, But the victim roll really. That's a bit of a stretch If using the same premess you suggest would you check the torque settings of the wheel nuts of a new car you just brought just in case a wheel might fall off on the drive home ?.
Your right I maybe looking into this at a different way from others here but .... New is New and really I shouldn't have to deal with these sort of issues. As I said beforehand if I wanted little things to be fixed I would have saved my self some money and got something second hand.

Wiz
Wiz
I guess you're lucky this other bloke who obviously knows everything is giving you his two, no wait, ten cents worth of advice on bikes and psychological assessment.
All the best mate from a fellow, former melbournian
AC

Old 07-08-2017, 06:00 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Wink

I get your point totally, But the victim roll really. That's a bit of a stretch (1) If using the same premise you suggest would you check the torque settings of the wheel nuts of a new car you just brought just in case a wheel might fall off on the drive home ?.

Your right I maybe looking into this at a different way from others here but ....(2) New is New and really I shouldn't have to deal with these sort of issues. As I said beforehand if I wanted little things to be fixed I would have saved my self some money and got something second hand.

Wiz
(1)
... it's a motorcycle, not a car.... regular condition checks... you know, T-CLOCS ( http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/t-c..._checklist.pdf ) are very important.
(2)
welp here you are, fixing.

Enjoy the bike. you will not have many mechanical issues. you have a service manual now, so do yourself a favor and double check the critical fasteners when you have the time. the issue you are daving are sort of on the dealer, not HD. they didn't do the best job setting your bike up. if possible, have your 500 and 1000 mile service done at a different dealer. i had work done at lancaster HD. they were fair priced, honest, and did a good job for the most part.

Last edited by cvaria; 07-08-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:38 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Arseclown
Wiz
I guess you're lucky this other bloke who obviously knows everything is giving you his two, no wait, ten cents worth of advice on bikes and psychological assessment.
All the best mate from a fellow, former melbournian
AC
Hey AC ... Fellow , Former Melbournian ?
Where you at now ? Where from Melb did ya hail from ?

Wiz

Old 07-09-2017, 01:14 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

(1)

(2)
welp here you are, fixing.

Enjoy the bike. you will not have many mechanical issues. you have a service manual now, so do yourself a favor and double check the critical fasteners when you have the time. the issue you are daving are sort of on the dealer, not HD. they didn't do the best job setting your bike up. if possible, have your 500 and 1000 mile service done at a different dealer. i had work done at lancaster HD. they were fair priced, honest, and did a good job for the most part.
Yeah ya right the dealers should have seen some sort of leak guessing that there are go to places on the bike you look at during a dealer detailing of a new bike. But I did mention to them a few months back prier to making this post that there was oil on the exaust bracket but it was desided the oil tank was too full and me being new to these bikes I took it for granted that they know what their talking about 😒

I'll let them do what they have to and find some other dealer to serve my needs

Wiz

Old 07-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Wizardofaus, what do you do for a living?

Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Wizardofaus, what do you do for a living?
I'm a furniture repair tech. Repair both wood and leather products. Build em pull them apart put them. back together French polishing You get the idea.

Back home I was an electroplater chrome nickel copper gold silver rhodium zinc cadmium electroplate.

Thx for asking

Wiz

Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Yeah ya right the dealers should have seen some sort of leak guessing that there are go to places on the bike you look at during a dealer detailing of a new bike. But I did mention to them a few months back prier to making this post that there was oil on the exaust bracket but it was desided the oil tank was too full and me being new to these bikes I took it for granted that they know what their talking about 😒

I'll let them do what they have to and find some other dealer to serve my needs

Wiz
Well got a call from the dealer today and after a 7 day wait on parts to fix my custom their not sure what the damage is as they didn't pull anymore of the bike apart but !!!!!!! if it's bad like they think it is the part they need to get me going is back ordered with no delivery date in sight, But we'll call you back as soon as we know more ( that was at 3 this afternoon ).

I waited till 7.50pm just before the service department closed and guess what ? I was told the guy and mechanic dealing with my bike had gone home at 5 !!!! I told the guy that I've had the bike for 12 weeks and " one of them " has been in the shop for repair.

I was told that they would return my call as soon as they get in tomorrow. How the freaking hell do you call that customer service ?

Im calling customer service tomorrow at Harley's head quarters I've had enough

Wiz

Old 07-22-2017, 12:37 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Seat bolt coming out wasn't on HD, that was on the dealer for not noticing it during the PDI set up. The dealer is to check all critical fasteners, update ECM/ABS/audio software (if equipped), install mirrors, windshield, and back rests, set belt tension, check all fluids, fuel, test ride, and print out a Motorcycle Condition Report. As far as the oil leak, it was built by people. Mistakes happen. Pick any manufacturer (I used to work at a Honda car dealer) and you'll see occasional defects in materials and/or workmanship from time to time. It's the luck of the draw.

Quick Reply: New 1200 custom oil drips after ride