Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

New 1200 custom oil drips after ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts
Default New 1200 custom oil drips after ride

Ok new to Harley's. I have a new read 340 mile old custom 2017 ,Oil level is mid dipstick but after a ride I find spots of engine oil on the garage floor. Now being I was weened on jap bikes I not to happy or used to this
Is this the norm for a Harley I'm not going to be too F$&c@-g happy if it is

Old 04-26-2017, 01:33 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Have you figured out exactly where the oil is originating from on your bike? That would be a hella' good place to start so we could possibly help you out. Pictures would help too as we are not mind readers. Most of us anyways.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:56 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

There seems to be a small pool on the right side of the bike where the cross over balance pipe for the exhaust is and it drops from there. The bike is 330 miles old so I'm not happy about this

Thx for anything in advance
Colin

Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

It's not the end of the world dude. If the oil is coming off of the pipes, check it to see if the oil is originating out of the backside of the air cleaner and is then dripping down. If it is, take about a cup of oil out of the crankcase 'cause there's a little too much in it and it's puking it out through the breathers once the engine is up to it's operating temperature. No biggie!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:53 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Yep that's it buddy.
Dealer had the bike too full of oil and thx for he heads up. Oil level was at the upmost top mark with a cold motor. It was pissing down the back of the air cleaner and dripping down on the balance pipe exhaust mounting bracket.
Too much oil is better than not enough but still was Linda pissed this was happening on a new bike
Thanks for ya help mate
Colin

Old 07-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Ok just a heads up to the oil leak problem on my new custom I posted a few months back. At first I thought the leak was due to over filling of the oil tank .... Well I took the bike in for its 1 k service today and during the service the tech noticed a greater than normal oil leak over the front exhaust bracket. On further inspection from removing the front pully cover they found the metal elbow that connects from the oil tank middle hose to the oil pump housing was 1/2 screwed in and cross threaded into the oil pump body from the factory

Now what was even more enjoyable was the dealer didn't have the parts to complete the repair so with the wife at work and my son out of town I was screwed on how to get home. --- Well I will say that after 4 hours in total waiting for the service and a ride home just took over 5 hours out of my day but at the end all I got for that time was a belly full of free coffee and a lift home.

Now call this a 1 off But quality control or the lack of at the moco is Fu$&ing Bul?'it as to how the hell did someone install this with out seeing it was cross thread is behond me or letting the bike continue down the line is appalling to say the least and only makes me think what else has been done incorrectly.

A dealer without parts and a shitty assembly job , a seat bolt that fell out on the ride home after handing over 13 grand on a new Harley and all with in 3 months of ownership... I wonder what's going to fall off next.

Wiz

Old 07-06-2017, 03:08 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

under warranty... take it to the dealer

could be simple; could be major.... it's covered... res ipsa loquitur

Old 07-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cvaria
under warranty... take it to the dealer

could be simple; could be major.... it's covered... res ipsa loquitur
Look , I know I have a warranty but to use it twice in the last 90 days repairing bad workmanship , come on
**** If I wanted a fixer upper I would have got a second hand bike and saved myself 8 grand.

Wiz

Old 07-06-2017, 03:48 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Look , I know I have a warranty but to use it twice in the last 90 days repairing bad workmanship , come on
**** If I wanted a fixer upper I would have got a second hand bike and saved myself 8 grand.

Wiz
welp your options are laid out
  1. use your warranty,
  2. don't use your warranty, throw a fit about it until you give yourself a heart attack,
  3. spend your time/money to get a service manual and track & fix your leak, or...
  4. get rid of it.

#2 doesn't help much.

could just be a loose hose or something simple from final assembly (at your dealer). my oil pump hose was loose when i first got mine. no big deal. but... i didn't go postal yelling about workmanship. i fixed it. bike had 187 miles on it.

pick your battles.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cvaria
welp your options are laid out
  1. use your warranty,
  2. don't use your warranty, throw a fit about it until you give yourself a heart attack,
  3. spend your time/money to get a service manual and track & fix your leak, or...
  4. get rid of it.

#2 doesn't help much.

could just be a loose hose or something simple from final assembly (at your dealer). my oil pump hose was loose when i first got mine. no big deal. but... i didn't go postal yelling about workmanship. i fixed it. bike had 187 miles on it.

pick your battles.
If you would have read my post you would be aware of the oil fitting pipe/ elbow was half installed and cross threaded at a 10' angle hence poor workmanship
I totally understand why they give you a 2 year warranty from my current experience
For $13,000 I'll throw a fit thanks
Got a service manual today while I was waiting on my bike to be done and told the service manager to send it to where they build these things and show them how to do it right the first time
I'm not in the habit of fixing something that I payed for brand new

Wiz

Quick Reply: New 1200 custom oil drips after ride