Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

question on lifters

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
That is NOT true. I just recently bought mine through that link. Those prices are for a set of 4.

WFOLarry https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...-wfolarry.html is a member here, PM him for verification.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters
I sent him a PM, hope he responds soon.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:10 PM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

All prices are for a set of 4 lifters.
It says right there above the pictures of the lifters that they are sold in sets of 4.
I've never had a problem before. I'll have to take a look & maybe word it better.

Last edited by wfolarry; 05-09-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
That is NOT true. I just recently bought mine through that link. Those prices are for a set of 4.

WFOLarry https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...-wfolarry.html is a member here, PM him for verification.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters
Originally Posted by wfolarry
All prices are for a set of 4 lifters.
It says right there above the pictures of the lifters that they are sold in sets of 4.
I've never had a problem before. I'll have to take a look & maybe word it better.
I stand corrected -WFOLarry confirmed this. Sounds like a pretty damn good deal. Now I just need to determine if his standard lifters are adequate for my build.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, got it all back together and adjusted the preload to .140" (3.5 turns). It seems a bit noisy at the top end, even at idle. I think I'm going to re-adjust the pushrods.
Anyone ever start with .100 preload?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Well, got it all back together and adjusted the preload to .140" (3.5 turns). It seems a bit noisy at the top end, even at idle. I think I'm going to re-adjust the pushrods.
Anyone ever start with .100 preload?
I had my preload set to .145 and had more noise than I liked. I talked with a local indy that I trust and he recommended setting at just over .100 I set to 2.75 turns on mine (24TPI to .114)

When doing the readjust I had witness marks on the upper portion of the tubes and reamed them out.
There is a seam on the inside that corresponds to the outer bell for the o ring seal in the head. You'll see what I mean if you look in your tube.
I used a 1/2" dremel drum sander( I've read a 5/8 drill bit works well too) and pretty much sanded that seam down till the inside was smooth.
So for what it's worth.. It's back to the normal sewing machine noise, whether it was the preload or the tubes or both is anyone's guess.

PS.
I also installed the Rockouts. Doesn't sound any different than stock to me ( now anyway ).
But for the price I think it's a worthwhile mod.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fuzzy
I had my preload set to .145 and had more noise than I liked. I talked with a local indy that I trust and he recommended setting at just over .100 I set to 2.75 turns on mine (24TPI to .114)

When doing the readjust I had witness marks on the upper portion of the tubes and reamed them out.
There is a seam on the inside that corresponds to the outer bell for the o ring seal in the head. You'll see what I mean if you look in your tube.
I used a 1/2" dremel drum sander( I've read a 5/8 drill bit works well too) and pretty much sanded that seam down till the inside was smooth.
So for what it's worth.. It's back to the normal sewing machine noise, whether it was the preload or the tubes or both is anyone's guess.

PS.
I also installed the Rockouts. Doesn't sound any different than stock to me ( now anyway ).
But for the price I think it's a worthwhile mod.
Any chance you have a picture of the area you sanded down? Not exactly sure what you are referring to.
I also installed the rockouts, but it's still noisy. After I started it, it quieted down for a few seconds but then went back to noisy. Looked at the instructions from the pushrods I have, it said to go 2.75 turns, which is what I did. Quieter than before but still noisy.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain

Any chance you have a picture of the area you sanded down? Not exactly sure what you are referring to.
I also installed the rockouts, but it's still noisy. After I started it, it quieted down for a few seconds but then went back to noisy. Looked at the instructions from the pushrods I have, it said to go 2.75 turns, which is what I did. Quieter than before but still noisy.
No pics of the pushrods.. remove the pushrods completely next time you go in there.
If you have an issue it usually will show in the top inch from the end that inserts into the head.
Rockouts had a post with pics of the tubes reamed out here someplace recently.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain

Here is a link for some more info.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhau...hat-to-do.html

It seems with Harley quality control, no 2 motors will be the same. I just keep trying to eliminate potential causes until I achieve a result or learn to live with what it is.
Many here who are much more knowledgeable than I recommend setting preload to .140-.150
I may readjust mine deeper to see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by Uncle Fuzzy; 05-23-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fuzzy
Here is a link for some more info.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhau...hat-to-do.html

It seems with Harley quality control, no 2 motors will be the same. I just keep trying to eliminate potential causes until I achieve a result or learn to live with what it is.
Many here who are much more knowledgeable than I recommend setting preload to .140-.150
I may readjust mine deeper to see if it makes any difference.
Thanks for the info.
I'm just not sure what to do... put the old lifters back in?

Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain

Thanks for the info.<br />I'm just not sure what to do... put the old lifters back in?
<br /><br />Maybe try looking at the tubes. If there are no marks then continue the elimination process.<br />Take a ride and listen to it under load before hand.<br />I had some additional (louder) clatter at about 3000 rpm. That's gone now too.<br />Then pull it down and check the tubes and rods for marks and go from there.<br />

Quick Reply: question on lifters