Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Clutch recommendations for a 124

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine is only at around 121/121 but I run the AIM and heavier spring and it holds well and is easy stock feel on the lever pull.
Some other mates with various heavy duty clutches can hardly pull their lever in

Old 05-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I'm running a scorpion on a 131 ci bike (one in the avatar) that made 144/146 HP at one time. Have made some changes and don't really know what it makes now.. I am running the 3 of the 58 lb springs and 3 of the 82 lb springs.. It seem to be holding OK but the lever is a little stiff, currently running 18 degree ramps.. Friction zone is fine. Feels like stock.. No problems finding neutral. I will probably go to 21 degrees ramps and an easy boy to drop the lever pressure down some.. I'll be able to tell if the clutch is slipping when I dump the primary oil next oil change.. Can go 2/4 on the springs if needed.

Was running an SE clutch with Barnett +1 CF kit. Used 18 deg ramps and the easy-boy to get enough pressure to hold the motor but the lever pressure was pretty high. The clutch used STD width frictions which was part of the reason for needing high spring pressure..

Don't care for centrifugal lockup clutches on the mountain roads where curves are involved..

Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 PM
speedzter
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have experience with the BDL ball bearing lock up ?

Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i have the scorpion on my S&S 124 (145tq/135hp) -- slightly stiff on the hand, holds well, needs to be warmed up - to alleviate the grabbing, I learned to use it and live with it -- I had the AIM VPC 92 on a 107 (122tq/111hp) - much easier to deal with much better feel, close to stock pull and holds exceptionally well.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 AM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Scorpion lock up, no basket p/n 608-30-23100

107 w/ T-Man .625 cams, ported CVO heads, 58mm TB, hoping to be in the 120/120 range

2011 Fat Boy Lo

Installing Rivera Primo Game Changer sproket and 30 tooth front pulley as well
More than enough for the power your Fat Boy is putting out. Since you already have it, I would run it. Should work great.
Easy clutch lever pull, plenty of holding power.

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 10:52 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Most of what I have heard is the Scorpion is harder on the hand

Bandit claims "• Lighter lever pull - greatly improved ‘feel’ and ease of operation"

http://www.banditmachineworks.com/pd...ndout203RN.pdf

I want a clutch I won't have to worry about or have to replace should my appetite for more power increase. I'm getting tired of buying stuff only to take it back off because it won't work with my next mod. My thinking is with this type of clutch all I would have to do is change up the springs if needed.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:27 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Most of what I have heard is the Scorpion is harder on the hand

Bandit claims "• Lighter lever pull - greatly improved ‘feel’ and ease of operation"

http://www.banditmachineworks.com/pd...ndout203RN.pdf

I want a clutch I won't have to worry about or have to replace should my appetite for more power increase. I'm getting tired of buying stuff only to take it back off because it won't work with my next mod. My thinking is with this type of clutch all I would have to do is change up the springs if needed.
No, it isn't...not with your low profile lockup. I have tested it with way more HP than you have (although I have the older 6 finger LU, and not the new low profile), and it's easy on the wrist-for normal 2-4 grand shifts-all day.
Higher rpms, it's harder pull as the lock up is fully engaged, but you aren't a street racer are you?
It's gonna be a long time till you have to worry about that package not handling the power your motor puts out.
For now it's great, but if you step up the HP a lot, or even now for insurance, get Barnetts billet basket. The newer bikes stock baskets are a crap shoot.

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Bandit is top notch for the strip. With the added hat and it's full adjustability. The thing can really be tuned to what you want. BUT for a street ridden bike. It can be a bit grabby. Stack height and free play movement can be less forgiving. Running less fluid helps, but I don't know how the affects these late model comps. I have also seen them be very intolerant to a slipping clutch. Steel plates are thin and loose their temper pretty quick.

I like the feel of the over center on a diaphragm clutch. For street bikes I like the Primo Pro Clutch. Big builds that peak tq around 4500. Adding their hat is an option.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
No, it isn't...not with your low profile lockup. I have tested it with way more HP than you have (although I have the older 6 finger LU, and not the new low profile), and it's easy on the wrist-for normal 2-4 grand shifts-all day.
Higher rpms, it's harder pull as the lock up is fully engaged, but you aren't a street racer are you?
It's gonna be a long time till you have to worry about that package not handling the power your motor puts out.
For now it's great, but if you step up the HP a lot, or even now for insurance, get Barnetts billet basket. The newer bikes stock baskets are a crap shoot.
Is the bolt on basket OK (321-30-02012) or the one with the primary and ring gear (321-30-46012)?

Old 05-22-2017, 01:32 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by cdonis

Thanks everyone, I'll take a look at all the setups you mentioned. Bike it's going in is a softail breakout. I ride solo. No bags or extras. I was looking at this aim unit and can add the barrnet spring.

Same unit that AIM has offered(and we have stocked) since the early 2000's.
Those, apparently, have green weights.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record