Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil in front cylinder

Old 06-22-2017, 04:30 PM
AcesOverEights
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil in front cylinder

I have finished up my 95 build. Flat tops, ported heads, 570 cams, .030 gaskets.
The first hundred miles were fine. Then after that it smoked, and smokes even more at idle.
I pulled the exhaust off, and the front cylinder exhaust port was loaded with oil. The rear looked just fine, so narrowed the problem to that cylinder.
Pulled the rocker covers, nothing special happening in there, pulled the head and the cylinder had a puddle of oil in it. Not a ton, but enough to create a puddle in the front. Obviously more than it should be. The bike was just run 30 minutes before, so it had to be consuming quite a bit to still leave a puddle

Pulled the jug, the rings were installed the right way up, proper gap orientation, everything looked kosher. I heard it was a common thing for the 2nd ring to be upside down, causing symptoms like mine. But no "luck".

Anything jumping out at anyone I should look at?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Valve guide or seal?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:59 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Rocker box gaskets installed correctly? They will fit either way but only one is correct. That could be blocking the breather vent.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:13 PM
AcesOverEights
Tourer

i was just thinking I need to inspect the valve stem seals myself. Would a bad seal really leak that much oil?

The first thing I did when I pulled off the rocker covers is look at that gasket. It was on correctly. I was sure I double checked that when I put it together, and sure enough it was ok.

FWIW, the CCP on each cylinder was similar, both near 180-190, which I thing is about par for the course for a 9.2-9.3 compression motor.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,224 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Likely a valve seal.. With that much oil you should be able to see oil dribbling down the valve stem in the port.. Sounds like you may have to send head back to whomever did the port job.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:16 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Did you ever notice oil or moisture at end of the tailpipe ?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:35 AM
AcesOverEights
Tourer

To those saying valve seals, you are correct. Looks like they were never seated on that head. The seals were up around the top of the spring. Does a lot of good there! Good thing I have spare seals. No big deal to get the tool and seat them.

Thanks everyone! I'll update again once I fix the seals.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:51 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,791 Likes on 3,302 Posts

I wouldn't just reseat the seals... Replace them.....

Old 06-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

How are you measuring parts and checking ring gaps? How loose where the valves in the guides?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,224 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by AcesOverEights
To those saying valve seals, you are correct. Looks like they were never seated on that head. The seals were up around the top of the spring. Does a lot of good there! Good thing I have spare seals. No big deal to get the tool and seat them.

Thanks everyone! I'll update again once I fix the seals.
If you are using the 0.420 guide ends and seals are the ones with blue Viton material (IIRC cometic), I'd replace with the the standard K line metal seals that HD uses with green lock tight. The Viton ones don''t say on the tops of the guides.. While some have managed to glue them on, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil in front cylinder