Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Hillside Cycle 124"

Old 07-19-2017, 08:56 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,787 Likes on 3,302 Posts

I always thought that STD was actual numbers at the rear wheel where as SAE is an averaged calculation taking into consideration, the different parts of the country and how the altitude and barometric pressure affect the amount of air that the motor can pump....

Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I always thought that STD was actual numbers at the rear wheel where as SAE is an averaged calculation taking into consideration, the different parts of the country and how the altitude and barometric pressure affect the amount of air that the motor can pump....

Both SAE and STD are corrected numbers. THey are corrected for different atmospheric conditions. SAE is standard in the US as it corrects to the average atmospheric condition in Detroit Mich. (when they came up with SAE Detroit was the main hub of the auto industry so that's why they picked it). STD corrects to another region of the world (i'm not really sure where). There is the option to use UNCORRECTED which is actual numbers produced in the conditions the bike was ran in. STD conditions favor SAE conditions by about a 4-6% average (depending on the actual condtions the bike was ran in)

Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Seems to me that most tuners provide sheets in SAE, So when I see a std sheet I find it odd. In this case this 124 Is a runner either way. At that power level it doesn't even matter. The shape of the curve would probably remain the same I'm guessing. Impressive either way. I'm doing a 124 with 640s now. Its the s&s hot set up straight up in kit form, and a se58 tb. Won't be anywhere near this threads numbers or curve shape.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:03 PM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

With as far to the left as that torque curve is , you're not gonna feel the difference between SAE and STD .
Scott

Old 07-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 Ultra Classic
With as far to the left as that torque curve is , you're not gonna feel the difference between SAE and STD .
Scott

Bingo!...........lol!
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 Ultra Classic
Scott
I agree with this as well. Potential customers of theirs posted here asking to see it in SAE, you'd think it would be easier to just post the sheet then play these cat and mouse games.

The following users liked this post:
Br125 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:25 PM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as I'm concerned , the only use for a dyno sheet is to find the right shift points for drag racing . Other than that it's bragging rights , without having to whip out your ***** .
I wouldn't give a rats butt if I got a dyno sheet , as long as the combo worked .
Scott

mucyou (03-08-2021)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,408 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Most people do not have a clue how to really read a dyno sheet. The Internet has turned it into a game of how to trick the dyno for bigger numbers. If 3/4 of the riders would be honest they only run the engine from idle to 3500 RPM 95% of the time they ride the bike. So pick you poison when you read them anymore these days. Where the torque curve is and how it is shaped tells you so much more than what the peak numbers tell you anyways. For a daily driver big numbers typically suck when it comes to real world performance, as you are out of the performance area most of the time. This sheet shows 120 Ft Lbs about 2500 which is good and if you drop it to SAE that would most likely be about 115 Ft Lbs which is still good. The shape of the curve is nice but I would like to see the runs start a little further down the RPM scale (1500) as that is what you use each and everyday you ride it. The dyno doesn't give a rats *** where you start it, but typically they do not look as good, as when you start it at the higher RPMS.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
This sheet shows 120 Ft Lbs about 2500 which is good and if you drop it to SAE that would most likely be about 115 Ft Lbs which is still good. The shape of the curve is nice but I would like to see the runs start a little further down the RPM scale (1500) as that is what you use each and everyday you ride it..

Looks actually like 124tq at 2500rpm so 120 SAE lets say.
And I hate to disagree here but the only time anyone should see 1500rpm is for 1/2 second off idle, or if one rides parking lots all day. 2200/2300 rpm is a good place to start a big motor pull IMO.

Br125 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Wasn't posting to toot our horn about peak numbers, but rather the shape of the curve, off the bottom/lower mid range.
You don't see that from an S&S .640.
Borezilla with a Q baffle.
11.4 cr, and our proprietary port work we perform to S&S Super Stock castings at that level.
Another one leaving this week in a 2005 Road King.
Scott
If your proprietary port work and build was all that, you would have just posted your "dyno report" in SAE so that I could compare it to other builders.

Your lack of posting it, tells me all that I need to know about you.

I'll stick with the S&S crate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hillside Cycle 124"