Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Alternative to the Andrews 57H

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:33 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

+4 degree key will make your 103 57 combo happy only about 60$ from Andrews

Old 07-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The 57 is a high lift version of the famous 37, with tweaked exhaust timing.
It loves 10.2 cr.
Even without compression being fully optimized, it should still work pretty dang good.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:56 AM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I think I need to side with some of the others here. It's not the cams, but the tuning giving you grief. I installed the 57H's this winter. Started with the PV and a tune from FM, Ran ok. Tried autotune sessions and got worse in the low end. Eventually went back to FP3, and bike actually ran better. Then emailed Dynojet and was given a tune. That really didn't run well. Went back to FM's map, and a couple more autotunes. Bike was running better. Finally had it dyno tuned. Night and day difference. Runs so much smoother, and stronger. If you have anyone over there than does dyno tuning, you need to give that a shot.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:30 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

sounds as though you have a grasp on loading/editing maps

how much difference was there in your tune file after dyno tuning session? 2%, 4% 10%? or are people just twisting the throttle a bit more and thinking wow this running good now

Old 07-24-2017, 03:56 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Well I wasn't going to dredge back through tuning on this thread ...I've had plenty of others where, with all of the help from you guys, I've probably been through more stuff than most are even aware of ...so I'm happy with tuning.

I'm good enough at collecting good enough data that my PV and FP3 actually come up with more or less the same answer. I've stepped through timing tables one degree at a time, same with AFR in closed-loop. Idle gain control, closed throttle spark, and I've even bypassed the MAP sensor because I thought that was where the instability was coming from. And yes, I've tried every combination of IVO/IVC

I think the consensus is saying something is fooked somewhere so I'm going to tear into it again n see what the heck I did

Maybe I was hoping someone was going to say I needed a 107/110 build to get a better all rounder, lol

Gimme some spanner time and I'll let you know what I find, and/or take it to DJ for one of their tunes

EDIT: Aogmitch, that kind of negates the idea that the 57 is supposed to be easy to tune, but sounds horribly familiar, and you're not the only one I've heard say that.

Last edited by Gordon61; 07-24-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
tuned by pot-luck and crossed-fingers
There is your problem. The 57 cams are not the problem; many hundreds running with no issues. The 57s do like 10.2 compression but plenty running well with lower compression but a bit soft on the bottom, particularly if two up. Save yourself some time and more angst and get a proper dyno tune. You can lead a horse to water but................................

The following users liked this post:
oleboy (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I've heard that higher MAP VEs typically need more fuel than the smoothed narrow band tuning suggests.

Check the compression, fuel pressure. If both are good , take it to a qualified tuning shop otherwise fix the issue.

Especially if you are trying to tune with narrow band sensors..

Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I've heard that higher MAP VEs typically need more fuel than the smoothed narrow band tuning suggests.

Check the compression, fuel pressure. If both are good , take it to a qualified tuning shop otherwise fix the issue.

Especially if you are trying to tune with narrow band sensors..

Mapping VE tables is one part of tuning. It is done with O2 sensors. Mapping AFR table is another part of tuning. This is done by power readings, time for distance or seat of pants. Meaning that you can use whatever sensor to map VE tables at one AFR target and then change that target to a richer mixture if needed. The flip side of this is tuning before closed loop. Might target 13.5 across the board to map VE's, but that didn't mean the whole table stayed at 13.5.

Max Headflow (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mirrmu

how much difference was there in your tune file after dyno tuning session? 2%, 4% 10%? or are people just twisting the throttle a bit more and thinking wow this running good now

Bike was running the best I had gotten it since cam install, before the dyno tune. Base line to finished product had gained about 5 hp and 5 ft/lbs for most of the rpm range. All the tunes I tried after cam install were running very rich, which showed in my mpg's. Prior to cams, I was averaging about 42-43. After cams was getting 30-32. After the dyno tune, I'm back in the 40's again. Also, throttle is very crisp and responsive now.

mirrmu (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mirrmu

He didn't dyno tune it moron.

He has been trying to manually tune it himself (without a dyno).

Quick Reply: Alternative to the Andrews 57H