Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Alternative to the Andrews 57H

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Alternative to the Andrews 57H

OK so I've tuned this until I'm blue in the face and it just isn't working for me so time for a change maybe (or set a match to it)

I just can't get this beast to run good around town or back road country roads. It feels like it is regularly missing or otherwise coughing which has you grabbing for the clutch. You can hear/feel it at idle, and at anything under 2000 rpm ...even a slow ish overrun while going down an incline it kicks away and has you grabbing for the clutch. Apart from the low speed coughing she runs really good.

According to the Internet, the 57H is supposed to be great ...is it? really?

So I was hoping for some suggestions from the builders as to what may better fit my riding style - good manners idle up, probably never go past 5000 so ultimate HP is not the goal but maybe lasting a bit longer than the 48H is said to (was why I didn't go for it in the first place)

Ideally something that will work with my existing heads having already spent $ there. I emailed T-man and they suggested either the 555TQ or the new 580PS - would either of these kick in a bit earlier and give a broader torque band? or the 590 seems to be well respected as well?

Any thoughts guys, before I do set a match to it

Build is a 2014 104 softail, street ported heads (1.9/1.57), 85cc chambers, 0.30HG and 10.0:1

tia

Old 07-21-2017, 03:48 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,807 Likes on 3,313 Posts

A truly underrated cam is the TW5-6 Woods cam. It has plenty of punch in the low end and will carry out and in a pretty nice manner with a big inch motor talk to your local IndY..... In fact you can always call Bob at knight Prowler cams, he'll set you strait... 205-525-4949...

Old 07-21-2017, 03:55 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,168 Posts

"tuned by pot-luck and crossed-fingers"

This might be your problem, not the cam.

The following users liked this post:
Br125 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
OK so I've tuned this until I'm blue in the face and it just isn't working for me so time for a change maybe (or set a match to it)
So you are going to swap cams hoping that the tune you worked on yourself will work with it? Your idle and low speed coughing is related to your tune. It might make more sense to leave it up to an experienced tuner and let them take care of it.

The following users liked this post:
Br125 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Gordon, I have to agree with the above posts. I have read several of you other posts in the tuning section and other places over the last months and I can't help but think there is a piece missing in your puzzle. I know you are across the pond and I have no clue as to the availability of qualified dyno shops. But I'm thinking that having a professional take a fresh look at what you already have may turn something up that has been overlooked. A second opinion is never a bad idea. The 57 is tried and true and wouldn't be as popular of a cam as it is if it didn't work or was difficult to tune. Who's to say you wouldn't be in the same situation with a different cam

Old 07-22-2017, 11:48 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

The 57 likes a bit more compression over stock. They advertise it as a 2200 cam. I haven't tried the 580 but the tqster has never disappointed in the range you are looking for. Another cam that seems to pull smoothly from off idle is the TTS100. Average tq under the curve is amazing.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I can't help but think there is a piece missing in your puzzle.
Indeed, I just wish I knew what it was and that I didn't get so damn frustrated with it ...but that's my, not you guy's problem.

I don't think it is the tune as such. Jason, Steve, yourself and many others have offered plenty of pointers over the time and I've worked through each and every one of them, as well as reading back over Doc and Wurk Turk's advice.

I tried a couple of suggestions from Roy at Dynojet but his final thought was that some combinations work, and some, not so well. That was why I was wondering if there was a better build to aim for. Or something like going to 107 to give it a bit more CR. But if it should work as is, then I’m left thinking something is broken.

The chap that did my heads says there are a couple of good guys at Dynojet UK in the north of England. I called and apparently they could tune the power vision in a couple of hours or so for about $260 equivalent ...that seems remarkably cheap, but not cheap enough to try sorting the current setup if maybe I’d be better off with a different build.

I do appreciate the thoughts guys, thanks

Old 07-22-2017, 06:22 PM
TroubledWine
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

If T.R. told you to buy his cam over the 57h, well, what did you think he was gonna say? He's in the business of selling parts. He's also going to tell you to bring it to Winston Salem to let him install and tune it, too.

The 57h should be a perfect, mild-mannered, stock-ridability cam for this build. And if it's not, its not the cam's problem. And a different cam is not going to fix the problem.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:30 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Are you running baffles? If not, that could be a source of the problem.
And it sounds cheaper to get one of those tuners than a new cam set and starting over.
YMMV.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

I wondered about the ProPipe but I even tried the quiet baffle ...which is a very restrictive lump of metal ...but switching back to stock/3" slip-ons also with quiet baffles and it is still not happy.

If the consensus is the 57 should be good enough then I must have something off somewhere. I'm going to have to strip it down and double check the build (...again!), and index the cams.

Maybe a proper(?) tune and their widebands will show up that my O2's are knackered or something

EDIT: if only it ran like Tired's
Originally Posted by Tired
Just an afterthought, if you are willing to have a little headwork done and bump up the comp a bit you can make the 57's perform. This is mine at 10.2 to 1. See the torque cross 100 ft. lbs. at 1900 rpm.

Last edited by Gordon61; 07-22-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Alternative to the Andrews 57H