Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Sea foam top engine cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:40 AM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Maybe that because it's not a carb cleaner.. It's not bad for carbonizing the combustion chamber.. For carbs, use Berryman's Chemtool or even straight lacquer thinner will work.. If the jets are plugged, a soak in carb cleaner is about the best..
This is the seafoam I used which was supposed to clean the carb residue:

http://seafoamsales.com/wp-content/u...ed-Up-Carb.pdf

Old 07-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
This is the seafoam I used which was supposed to clean the carb residue:

http://seafoamsales.com/wp-content/u...ed-Up-Carb.pdf

oops.. Didn't know they claimed that.. What ratio to gas did you try?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
oops.. Didn't know they claimed that.. What ratio to gas did you try?
Used more than called for...the entire can for one tank of fuel in a 2000 Yamaha FZ 1000. Have my 2000 Dyna now with no carb problems at all.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 PM
RollieB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fuzzy
Yeah..
It took me a while to figure out Google yields better results than the search function on the site.
Did you find it?
I can't remember who posted but it was very informative.
I did find it. You're right,that fella went above and beyond.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:45 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

My 2012 RGU had six thousand miles before cams and tune. At 15000 miles I Changed Oil then put a whole can of Sea Foam in with a full tank of gas .. Ran the **** out of the bike until the low fuel light came on then added three gallons of gas and ran it till the low fuel light came on again ... Changed the oil again .. The Oil was BLACK so is guess the Sea Foam Works ..

Old 08-01-2017, 10:20 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,387 Likes on 21,384 Posts

Interesting thread.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

My two cents: Wouldn't it be considered counter productive?

I mean you add a really good carbon cleaner in massive concentrations because your pistons are caked on with carbon correct. When in operation this cleaner will clean carbon very well making you soooo happy as you observed this through your bore-scope camera, right! Clean as a whistle, fantastic!

Buuuut you just removed all lubrication from you rings possibly scoring cylinder walls producing wear patterns similar to a motor that has 80,000 miles on her clock...... All this because you don't like the carbon build up!

Wonder what the old school bikers did in there day when 99% of all gasoline contained lead. Answer, not a freaking thing. Just ride it for God sakes, you think too much IMHO.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

The following users liked this post:
bambambam (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Never ever do that unless it's so carboned up you cannot stop it from pinging. What you break loose is just going to get down in that gap between the top ring and top of the piston.

Does not matter what it is, FI cleaner, throttle body cleaner or what ever, if it can dissolve deposits, it will wash it up past IAC o-ring and into motor. Same for TPS.

Little H2O mist will blast it off but it will still go down above top ring.

This is what water will do. But don't try it. Z28 was leaking a little water from upper left passage way to head till it got carried away and did this one morning.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:28 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

This is just off related topic: It reminds me one day, one of my co-workers had unlimited supply of engine oil. So every month he would change oil in his 1969 Super Bee. I thought it was an overkill but to each his own.

Well one day passing by, speed racer had is 69/SB parked outside the shop on the stone driveway revving the crap out of the engine. I said what's up bro, his said I'm changing my oil. I said, great what's with the high revs? He said I like to get all the oil out of the engine after draining oil. Was totally confused... What are you talking about? Wait for it.... He said not all the oil comes out of the engine so I rev it for about two to three minutes until I don't see any more oil coming out the drain plug hole! I'm serious!!! True story.

Just think, at one time was thinking of buying that car......

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by B Bop; 08-01-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 PM
timsmcm
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using seafoam for years. I had an old johnson 9.5 HP motor that had 40 psi on top and 45 psi on bottom. I used 1 can of seafoam to 1 gallon of gas. Ran it on idle for 20 min. Then take seafoam deep creep and spray it directly into the carburetor and kill the engine with the spray, then fog both cylinders really good. Let sit for 1 full day. Next day run the rest of the seafoam mixture. It will look like your crop dusting it will smoke so much. Did a compression test next day 80 top 85 bottom. Engine still runs great. Moral of the story always try to see if you can fix it with less money. Most Harleys are spraying oil into their combustion chambers causing carbon buildup. Try seafoam and deep creep, it works.

Quick Reply: Sea foam top engine cleaner