Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Where to from an 88?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:52 AM
glsec507
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Where to from an 88?

2006 Road King 42,000 miles. As far as I know the engine is stock. (It's a used police bike)
Full boar slip ons. Fullsac true dual conversion. Arlen Ness big sucker. Dobeck EJK 3.5

It's the TC 88 engine and still has the spring loaded cam chain tensioners in it. About 4000 miles ago I checked the outer tensioner and as much as I could see of the inner and they were ok. Not flawless but not nearly as bad as most of the pics you see when you look them up online.

I want them out. I intend on swapping them for the new style chain tensioners with the new plate and pump. Gear drive is appealing but with all the talk about runout and noise and whatnot I figured it would be a safer bet to go chain style instead of gear on this bike since I don't know the history of it at all. I don't need a bigger problem on my hands down the road if the tolerances for gear drive wear out.

While I'm in there (or while the shop is I should say) I figured depending on costs maybe I could upgrade cams. Maybe go with larger cylinders, hell maybe even stage IV the beast.

Where do I start? I don't want the shop to just suggest whatever and say ok do it and have it not be the best option so I'm looking for some tips/suggestions.

Bottom to midrange improvements is what I'm after. I ride two up somewhat often. And freeways around here don't go above 65mph and at those speeds I'm only above 3000 rpm when accelerating faster than usual or if I'm really excited 😊.

Where can I go to from the stock 88? I was looking at the S&S kits but I don't know which ones do what or are even doable. I guess I plan on using s&s for the new cam plate and pump and tensioners. The shop I'd use also uses Feuling products.
I see a lot of 510 cam threads but a lot of kits use 585(I think) and basically any other number or name. Looking at cam spec info on the website I see these cams working in higher rep ranges. Does that mean they won't impact bottom or mid ranges? How big can I go on cylinders? At what point would I have to upgrade other parts such as the heads or throttle bodies when doing the previous upgrades.

I'm really just flying blind so any help would be appreciated.

Side note I also plan on upgrading the exhaust and was thinking the fuel moto 2 into 1 because it comes in black and there's a heck of a deal that includes a power vision for half off. But that's another thread.

I know it's difficult to give me the "you should get this" response because everyone's needs and wants are different but I need to be pointed in some sort of a direction before walking into the shop and committing.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I may be wrong but with out boreing the cases I think the biggest you can go is 98 CI Except I think S&S has a 100CI kit that will work. I think you can chabge the crank and useing stock bores cases can go up to 106 or 107. Not sure though. Having headwork done anytime is always a good thing. I am not sure on the 06 how much cam you can put in with the stock springs.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 AM
k-weaver
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Step 1 is gonna be budget. How much your willing to spend is going to dictate how deep you go.

Also how much power do you really Want? a little more get up and go? Sounds like that's all your after. If so, just cams and the exhaust should suffice.

If you really want to go all out you may try calling a few of the site sponsors. Tell them what your after and see what they recommend

Old 07-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Andrews 21's to start, then build from there.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:15 AM
glsec507
Tourer

Budget - I'd like to stay around 3...but would wiggle to 4 or 5 if I can get a lot done without going over. I'm also factoring in the cost of the new exhaust, tuner, and the cost to powdercoat the chrome parts while they're off the bike.

Why the Andrews 21? Can those work with the s&s cam plate I plan to upgrade to? And speaking of which are cams relatively universal as far as using Andrews with S&s plates or s&s cams in a feuling plate etc etc?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:03 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

S&s 100ci drop in kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-S-Cycle-Po...item2cb934594f

offer 2000. I bet they take it.

Last edited by cvaria; 07-24-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Dennis Lett
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All I can say is forget aftermarket and SE style cam plates. Get a late model one from 07- on and that way you get a roller chain for the inner.

Cams are up to you. Andrews and others make various conversion cams for different applications. Start with 21 or 26 on stock. Big bore kits, you'll really have to decide when you're picking a kit.

The sky really isn't the limit without major motor work, probably a 98 is as big as you can go.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by glsec507
Budget - I'd like to stay around 3...but would wiggle to 4 or 5 if I can get a lot done without going over. I'm also factoring in the cost of the new exhaust, tuner, and the cost to powdercoat the chrome parts while they're off the bike.

Why the Andrews 21? Can those work with the s&s cam plate I plan to upgrade to? And speaking of which are cams relatively universal as far as using Andrews with S&s plates or s&s cams in a feuling plate etc etc?
Andrews 21' for now as a plug/play in your 88".
Nice jump in power.
Then...........bore to 98", with a good set of heads, and 1.725 rockers on the intake side, setting t h e proper compression at that point as well.
Fun now.......more fun later.
Scott

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 07-27-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:18 PM
glsec507
Tourer

So far I'm getting a lot of 98" recommendations so I'll stick to that as far as that goes. Cam recommendations have been all over the place. Headwork, if I'm not getting too crazy is it worth the extra time and $ or will I not gain enough to justify headwork with just a mid range cam and 98" displacement?

Old 07-24-2017, 05:45 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

If you have the money, Go to the 98"er. You'll be very happy you did. 110/105 is awesome and easily reachable..... One of the great porters here will satisfy your needs.....

Quick Reply: Where to from an 88?