Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Low Rider S SE110 Lifter Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:13 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Low Rider S SE110 Lifter Failure?

I've had this noise for a while now, it's enough for me to be concerned. Doing some reading, particularly on the CVO Forum has opened my eyes to the world of lifter failure.

The bike is relatively new, just done 5000km's (3100 miles) and I'd say this noise has gotten worse. Particularly on cold startup and can last up to 2-3 minutes depending on ambient temp. Once warm it does the typical 2300-2800rpm clatter which I believe is rocker arm slop.

I took the bike to my local dealer twice now, first time (not the place of purchase) said all was well, these 110's make noise. 2nd dealer (where I bought it) said "yeah somethings not quite right"

I've booked the bike in on Thursday to let the bike cool off and have a listen. I know the lead tech there so requested he look at it. I trust he will do a good investigation and not just say "typical 110 valvetrain noise"

So hypothetically, say if a lifter has failed. What are the repercussions of this as far as engine health/longevity?

Would they take the cam assembly out and check for damage to cam lobes? If a needle bearing has failed and escaped I presume the whole engine would require inspection and rebuilding?

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

In the meantime, here is a cold startup video.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:28 PM
GibsonSG
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good time for Rockouts and new lifters while the top end is open.

Once you're ready to upgrade cams then upgrade cam (roller) bearings.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 01:57 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

I think brasher's bike is under warranty.

​​​​​​So in will go another replacement **** set of Harley lifters that will last for how long and possibly cause damage...

And whilst rockouts might be an improvement the dealer will not install them as part of the warranty work.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:11 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default c lifts are crap

Ive had the b an then c series Harley lifters in my bike with a cpl of builds, the b's started to pit and spall off little pieces on cam contact face. so I got the c series. these things were worse for tapping noise than the b lifter were, at an idle when bike was hot, the tapping turned into a hammering, give gas a blip the hammer would go away, some times come back. I just pulled all the upgrade stuff off and put my stock 96 stuff back on after plateau horning cylinders, new piston rings installed. my oil out the air cleaner went away, with the new set of rings and this time I put in s&s lifters, talk about quiet , no tapping at all, all I hear is a whirling sound of engine running now. now to get my removed parts to hillside for a 107 build. one thing I did notice, the oil infeed hole in the c series is smaller than the hole was on the b series. the infeed hole on the s&s lifter is larger than the c lifter, maybe a hair bigger than the old b series lifters.
a set of adjustable pushrods was used on all sets of lifters, set at 3 turns or .140 after preload

Last edited by 2009blackpearle; 10-01-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:49 AM
brasher
Tourer

Yeah that's right it's under warranty.

So another set of rubbish gets put in and play Russian roulette all over again.

Or jam the warranty and put some s&s standards in it??

Old 10-02-2017, 01:55 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Listened to the video three times and I don't hear anything worth digging into the cam chest or top end to take a look at with the bike being under warranty. If a lifter had failed, it would make a lot more noise than what I can hear but my hearing is not what it used to be. Ride it; try to break it. Get the motor up to operating temps and post another video for comparison.

The following users liked this post:
brasher (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:09 PM
brasher
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
Listened to the video three times and I don't hear anything worth digging into the cam chest or top end to take a look at with the bike being under warranty. If a lifter had failed, it would make a lot more noise than what I can hear but my hearing is not what it used to be. Ride it; try to break it. Get the motor up to operating temps and post another video for comparison.

Thanks.

I did another quick test to pinpoint the noise.

I put my foot over the rear muffler (Bassani Road Rage 3) and the noise is a lot less pronounced. It's like the pipe has a weird resonance or harmonic that amplifies the noise.

Anyway, hopefully everything comes to light on Thursday. At least after a visit to the Dealership I will have something in Writing if it's "normal noise" and if it let's go it's their problem.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by brasher
Thanks. I did another quick test to pinpoint the noise. I put my foot over the rear muffler (Bassani Road Rage 3) and the noise is a lot less pronounced. It's like the pipe has a weird resonance or harmonic that amplifies the noise. Anyway, hopefully everything comes to light on Thursday. At least after a visit to the Dealership I will have something in Writing if it's "normal noise" and if it let's go it's their problem.
Yup, that's what I heard as well; the noise level increased when you went to the exhaust side and increased again as you panned back to the muffler. Could be something loose there but I don't hear anything coming from the top end; the motor is actually very quiet. If you are hearing something in that 2300-2800 rpm range, a set of rocker lockers could be the fix. That is the rpm range where the rocker shaft can move and contact with the support. If that is happening, there will be witness marks on the shaft and a set of rocker lockers is a cheap and easy fix.

It won't matter if you have something in writing or not. Should something break, it's a whole new world and even under warranty, sometimes getting a legitimate repair covered is a PITA. It will all depend on your dealer.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default gaskets

with the bassani pipe did u just change the mufflers or also the header pipes, if u did the headers what kind of gaskets did u use. I had a brutal time getting my vance and hines header to stop leaking ended up using 2 of the se flat gaskets for squared off header, didn't have that problem when I had the se mva head with same pipe, think it even leaked a bit with the 2 gaskets, a few retorques and driving, pipe finally wiggled into a good seat in the gaskets.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:53 PM
brasher
Tourer

Pipe was put on as part of pre delivery so I presume stock gaskets still and I nip the header nuts up once a fortnight.

Muffler was also on good and tight.

Quick Reply: Low Rider S SE110 Lifter Failure?