Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Build starts tomorrow!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 09:31 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts
Default Build starts tomorrow!!

Ok, at long last, I start my engine rebuild tomorrow. Got the call that the cylinders and pistons are done at the machine shop tonight.

Here is what is going in

Stock Cylinders rebored to 98", Wiseco Tracker series pistons 10.5 (listed) CR. Done by Ramjet Performance in Phoenix
Cometic .040 head gaskets
Screamin Eagle 203 camshaft
New inner and outer cam bearings
reconditioned stock heads (seats lapped, ports cleaned up, and valve stem seals replaced)
Dobeck Gen 3 EJK fuel controller

Remainder of the engine will stay stock
Johnson Hylift lifters will stay in place (less than 1500 miles old)
Screamin Eagle Hydraulic conversion camplate with fresh tensioners (less than 1500 miles old)
stock style flat link camchains (replaced with Feuling new units less than 1500 miles ago)
Stock non-adjustable pushrods, rocker arms etc will all be reused

This should be good for me for a while.

The following 2 users liked this post by ScottinAZ:
2013_FLHTK (05-26-2020), RET_SCPO (05-20-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 09:35 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I keep a notebook, to right down things I need to get, as I go. Bolt getting rounded, or whatever.

I have 98" with 9.2. I wont go so high next time.Though maybe with fuel injection not as big of deal, easier to control pinging. When touring I have had trouble getting premium. I went with the thinner than stock head gasket, people said it would blow out. That was 45k miles ago.

The following users liked this post:
ScottinAZ (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 09:42 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zerk
I keep a notebook, to right down things I need to get, as I go. Bolt getting rounded, or whatever.

I have 98" with 9.2. I wont go so high next time.Though maybe with fuel injection not as big of deal, easier to control pinging. When touring I have had trouble getting premium. I went with the thinner than stock head gasket, people said it would blow out. That was 45k miles ago.

Yeah, Ive got a pile of parts here that could choke a horse right now. If I thought I needed it, I bought it. Cam bearing tool..... check. Ring expander and compressors....check. all the crap that is somewhere in my storage unit...... check. I havent left anything (that I can think of) to chance.

as for the CR, the SE203 cam will bleed off some of that compression to about 9.5 ish according to the calculators. Same with the .040 head gasket, that costs be a bit of compression as well. I have the MM fuel injection, so the options there were limited for controllers. Ive heard good things about the Dobeck unit, so thats what I went with. If I need more, Ill address that when I get there.

Hoping for a nice RELIABLE motor that is freshened up a bit. I do a good bit of riding outside the city, so the first 500 miles or so is gonna suck. I know me, and Im gonna wanna see what it can do relative to where it was when old and tired........not a barn burner, but enough of a step up that it should provide a good difference in the butt dyno

Old 05-19-2020, 09:51 PM
Zerk
Banned

Didn't know you have M&M. I didn't have issue before build, but after started blowing oil out cap, I think I still do some. Blown caps happened on stock engine before they went to screw in caps, though not to me. I did the retro kit for oil spout to cam cam chest. Harley did it around 02, I have 01.

If you were to do it, I would mark the spot where tranny side door bolt is. Years later, mine came loose, I had to pull oil spot plate off to tighen it. I took a grinder to it. But you could also drill a hole. Can't really tell, I did it at angle.

Was a great improvement. I did gears, cause back then they didn;t have hydro retro. I would probably do that know, since you don;t have to worry about crank run out.

Also the rear cam bearings had failures until around mid year 2000. They rent from ball to roller, or vice versa. Chain side loading was killing bearing. No side loading with gear drives in evo.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:59 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

mine had the retro plate in it before I bought it, roller outer bearing on rear cam, ball outer on front. Replacing both for cause with new cams, along with new torrington rear bearings. Its cheap insurance, and the last time I can verify it was done was about 50k ago by the reciept I got with the bike (had all service invoices from new!!) I changed the cam chains due to a noisy cam chest, and the tensioner pads I had replaced the year before hadnt touched the noise. Those pads were chewed up pretty good when I changed the chains this time around, and I went with stock Harley tensioner pads as they were in stock, and I had the motor torn down. The damn flat link chains stretch like a bastard (always have, no small block Chevy I ever went into that had one wasnt sloppier than a 90 yr old hooker), and these Harley ones were no exception. Changed them out, and the hydraulic tensioners were less than 1/2 travel, and quiet as a mouse. Never had an issue with the oil cap blowing out either, hell usually I cant get the damn thing out when I want to......

Old 05-19-2020, 10:07 PM
Zerk
Banned

Myself, I don't like doing things again, so when I am in I replace things. I am not afraid to replace any part based on age. I am not the type to wait until it dies on side of road. Cell phone mechanics might be surprised how long it takes to get a wrecker.

I did lifers, and all cam bearings. I stayed with stock oil pump. 80k so far. I kept stock stock pushrods. Since I was pulling heads anyways. Saved money, knew they would never fail and easy. I get the arguement adjustable allow you to work on without pulling rockers though. Can always cut out later. I just didn't want to deal with anything else. First Harley build.

As I said you year probably vents into tranny, they later vented to cam chest. So retroed my 01. I didn;t notice until after my build. Though some people had issue stock. Though one guy I know was big, maybe just rode harder than me. His first date, they had to walk the road looking for it, on his new harley.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:24 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

IIRC mine does vent into the tranny, (its a 2000) so Ill check into that mod as well. If its torn down, its the time to do it.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:09 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

This ought to be interesting.. What do the pistons CC and heads CC at? With MM EFI, the Dobeck ain't gonna help you..

Old 05-20-2020, 04:58 AM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

heads are bone stock and are not being cc'ed, as I dont have the tooling to do so. assumed at 85cc as stock. Pistons are a 6.5cc dome as per MFG. Funny the Dobeck isnt going to work, as according to their site it is designed FOR the MM fuel injection.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ
heads are bone stock and are not being cc'ed, as I dont have the tooling to do so. assumed at 85cc as stock. Pistons are a 6.5cc dome as per MFG. Funny the Dobeck isnt going to work, as according to their site it is designed FOR the MM fuel injection.
Yeah, Using those numbers you get about 10.24 to 1 CR, 9.5 corrected and 200 ccp with the 203. The motor is going from about 165 ccp to 200. What does the Dobeck do for ignition timing? It's only a fuel adder. Stock heads will only make things worse even if you were to find a better tuner. MMI heads don't flow on the exhaust ports Motor will run hot.

Where is DLJ? He's usually on this.

Quick Reply: Build starts tomorrow!!