Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   Compression loss (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1202931-compression-loss.html)

rjz500 10-12-2017 09:47 AM

Compression loss

2014 DYNA FXDWG 103, 62,000 MILES: Riding down the freeway at 70 mph feels like somebody turned off the fuel, I would roll the throttle back and forth a few times and it would come back to life. It did it several more times, thought it was the fuel pump, but you can hear the pump pressurize when you turn on the ignition. Leaving work, got a few miles down the road and it started to do it again, this time I couldn't get it to come back to life. Sitting on the side of the road I cranked it over and it was like one cylinder had no compression. I tried it several more times and then it turned over with no compression, finally started up real rough and then started to knock real loud. The engine never made any noise, it was always surprisingly quiet. I pulled the rocker boxes and lifters, the valve springs look intact, lifters pump up good, cam lobes look very good (hardly any wear patterns), push rods straight. I was thinking that it could be the ACR's, but that wouldn't explain the loud knock. I haven't tried turning it over since I heard the knock.

rjz500 10-12-2017 09:53 AM

Did I post this in the wrong forum?

djl 10-12-2017 10:59 AM

We can get to the knock later but until you do a compression check, you don't know whether you have compression or not, so let's start there.:icon_wink:

Max Headflow 10-12-2017 11:45 AM

6 minutes is would be pretty quick response time.. Have you looked at the plugs?

Compression and fuel pressure need checking.. Simply because the pump runs is not a good indicator of fuel pressure.

rjz500 10-12-2017 02:50 PM

Follow-Up

Compression check, should have thought of that first. I will pickup a compression tester tomorrow, already have the fuel pressure gauge. Guess I will be busy Saturday. Thanks for your input, I will post my results soon. Thanks again.

Hillsidecycle.com 10-13-2017 06:01 AM

Compression release went sour, lost a lifter roller?
Only guesses.
Scott

2009blackpearle 10-13-2017 10:24 AM

will need to unplug acr wire

remember when u do the test u will have to test with the acr working and then unplug it for the second test to see if its stuck open. not sure how the 2014 are wired I added acrs to my 2009 had to move wires around fuse box, not sure if taking fuse out of panel for fuel pump would kill power to them or not, in my case the rewire ties them to fuel pump, then purple wire to ecm modual activates them when starter hit. would be easier than pulling tank off, Ive always had mine off doing work so it was already off in my case . maybe pro drag or scott would know easier way to disable them without tank coming off to get at acr connection. oh shoot that reminds I need to call scott right now .

jbarr1 10-13-2017 11:14 AM

A failed ACR will not result in zero compression. Your problem lies deeper if there's zero compression.

rjz500 10-13-2017 01:44 PM

ACR Location

The ACR's have a plug for each one under the tank that are easy to get to. Will keep you all posted until I fix this. Thanks everybody for your input.