Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Metal Sounding Knocking noise when cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:10 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Metal Sounding Knocking noise when cold

I have a 2014 Streetglide Stock engine with 15000 miles. A month or so ago I noticed a metal knocking sound when I first start up the bike. As the bike warms the sound slowly goes away. The sound appears to be coming from the bottom end but I would think if that was the case it would get worse. I've had the primary cover off but didn't see any metal shavings or for that matter any real wear on the comp. Same with engine oil, I was at 3000 miles so I went a head and changed it. No metal or brass what so ever. I've put probably 800 plus miles on the bike since this was first noticed with really no change, everything is normal when warm. Even though it doesn't sound like it I'm starting to think it's a lifter bleeding down. I guess since riding season is almost over I'll probably put a set of S & S lifters in this winter and also check the cam chain tensioner while I'm at it. Anybody have any opinions on what it might be. I know it's hard to give a opinion with out hearing it but thought I would ask for opinions. I took a short video a few minutes ago although for some reason it doesn't sound as bad on video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snmC...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Fatboy Brian; 10-16-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

The noise is a rocker arm waiting for the lifter to pump up and take the lash out of the valve train; no foul, no harm. If the noise goes away as the motor warms up and does not present at operating temp; don't lose any sleep, just let the motor warm up properly. If the noise starts to present at operating temps, address the issue and replace the offending lifter.

The following users liked this post:
Fatboy Brian (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Goes away when it warms up? Don't worry about it.

My 2014 120R with Wood lifters sounds like a threshing machine when it's cold. Runs fine.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:24 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Yep.
Sounds like a lifter bleeding off after it sits for awhile, and the noise is the lash between the tip of the pushrod and the rocker arm cup, until the oil pressure builds enough to re-pump the lifter.
Front exhaust lifter?
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
The following users liked this post:
marc gagnon (05-29-2020)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:57 AM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same noise on my 14' fxdf. It lasts for about 3-4 seconds or so on cold start, then its gone.

Any potential for damage, or anything worth doing something about?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member

It drives me nuts and the sound gives me cold chills, it's taking this thing a couple minutes to pump up. It reminds me of a rod knocking. As soon as I can decide what lifters to get I'm going to change them out. Choosing a lifter is about like trying to choose a oil.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:06 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
It drives me nuts and the sound gives me cold chills, it's taking this thing a couple minutes to pump up. It reminds me of a rod knocking. As soon as I can decide what lifters to get I'm going to change them out. Choosing a lifter is about like trying to choose a oil.
I run a set of Woods Directional lifters in an all bore 107 motor, one of three bikes, so it could sit for a couple of weeks between rides. It takes a minute or so for those ($$$) lifters to pump up. It is what it is and there is not guarantee that replacing the lifters is going to eliminate the cold start noise if the bike sits for a while between rides. No harm is being done but if you feel you just have to spend some $$, replace your lifters with a set of S&S Premiums.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
I run a set of Woods Directional lifters in an all bore 107 motor, one of three bikes, so it could sit for a couple of weeks between rides. It takes a minute or so for those ($$$) lifters to pump up. It is what it is and there is not guarantee that replacing the lifters is going to eliminate the cold start noise if the bike sits for a while between rides. No harm is being done but if you feel you just have to spend some $$, replace your lifters with a set of S&S Premiums.
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind the bleed off overnight but it literally does it after sitting for a hour. Not as bad as when completely cold but it still takes a few minutes for it to pump up. I was leaning towards the S & S lifters, only ones that I really haven't read any negative reviews. Thanks for the recommendations.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:05 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Yep.
Sounds like a lifter bleeding off after it sits for awhile, and the noise is the lash between the tip of the pushrod and the rocker arm cup, until the oil pressure builds enough to re-pump the lifter.
Front exhaust lifter?
Scott
It was the front exhaust lifter.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DrewNJ
I have the same noise on my 14' fxdf. It lasts for about 3-4 seconds or so on cold start, then its gone.

Any potential for damage, or anything worth doing something about?
I would say 3 or 4 seconds is normal. I wouldn't worry about that, It was taking mine at least a couple minutes to pump up.

Quick Reply: Metal Sounding Knocking noise when cold