Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

A Conversation on the effects of header pipe diameter.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:00 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Even most SBC's utilize a 1 5/8” id header. It will help in the bottom but your stumble is most likey a tune...

Old 11-16-2017, 10:08 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
The bike, since I've owned it has always exhibited a low speed, light throttle intermittent miss. I've had a few different tune-ups on it, and it's always there. The bike runs great.....except for that little intermittent miss. Like cruising through a neighborhood at 20-30mph.
I had the same issue when I bought my '06 Fatboy a couple of years ago. It has a V&H FulePak on it, and V&H worked with me on mapping which helped a lot but didn't rid the problem completely. Last winter I installed an Andrews 21N cam, while doing the tensioners. V&H sent me a new map, bike runs flawlessly now. Super smooth, no hesitation anywhere.

I'm not sure exactly what my issue was considering cam change, etc... I'd say the original map was off. Probably your issue too. Doubt the header pipes are the problem, because lots of bikes run that size.

When cruising through the neighborhood, what gear/rpm are you at? TC's like being wound a up a bit compared to EVO's or Shovels.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:17 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 400 Likes on 284 Posts

The comment about most SBC's using a 1 5/8" header, not true for those engines making 1 horsepower per cubic inch, those engine are using 2" - 2 1/4" headers.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:08 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
The comment about most SBC's using a 1 5/8" header, not true for those engines making 1 horsepower per cubic inch, those engine are using 2" - 2 1/4" headers.
Back in the day with cast iron cylinder heads, 1 5/8 and 1 3/4 was the choice. And by the way most Harley's do only make 1 hp per cubic inch or less.....

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 11-17-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:07 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Exhaust gas velocity is a critical parameter to engine tuning.

Exhaust gas velocity is one of the two controlling factors of the exhaust reversion wave. Smaller diameter tube has higher velocity given same exhaust gas volume. Length of exhaust tube is the other factor.

Exhaust reversion wave will scavenge combustion chamber IF reversion wave arrives at exhaust valve at correct time.

Exhaust reversion wave can be controlled by exhaust gas velocity and exhaust tube length.

Larger diameter exhaust tube comes into "tune" at a higher rpm than smaller diameter tube of the same length.

Practical applications are Ford "high-velocity" exhaust ports (read smaller area but higher gas velocity) and "long-tube headers" (again smaller diameter but longer length). Both applications increase low rpm torque values.

(We did this fifty years ago on the Can-Am cars)

Last edited by Sierra977; 11-17-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:37 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

One thing I have noticed while measuring exhaust headers. The inlet on a lot of the aftermarket headers are 1.5 to 1.6. This is dependent on how the flange is attached. The welded on flanges or the cone shaped that are formed into pipe seemed to be the smallest. A 3/4 initial headpipe design that has the flange lip just welded on the outside diameter of the pipe is what is needed for a true inner diameters entry of the exhaust to be 1.7.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
When cruising through the neighborhood, what gear/rpm are you at? TC's like being wound a up a bit compared to EVO's or Shovels.
It could be either second or third gear. It's not as noticeable in second gear, but still there. I don't have a tach, so maybe between 1800 and 2200rpm. Open it up even just a little and the "burbling" disappears.

Here's the thing. I've been drag racing for a long long time. I have experimented with different header tube diameters......on a RACE application. When you're buzzin' a motor up to 7, 8 or even 9000 rpm, bigger is better.

But on a STREET application, how critical is it? With the plethora of different header configurations out there, is there any real research for anything other than max performance? As I said in my initial post, this is a low rpm deal that never sees the other side of 4000 RPM. My thinking is that a smaller primary tube diameter might be beneficial, even maybe at the sacrifice of top end power.

So, maybe it could be tuned out. Maybe not. I have richened and leaned the thing on either side of where it's at now. It's always there.

When it really comes down to it, it's something I can live with.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:53 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Exhaust gas velocity is a critical parameter to engine tuning.

Exhaust gas velocity is one of the two controlling factors of the exhaust reversion wave. Smaller diameter tube has higher velocity given same exhaust gas volume. Length of exhaust tube is the other factor.

Exhaust reversion wave will scavenge combustion chamber IF reversion wave arrives at exhaust valve at correct time.

Exhaust reversion wave can be controlled by exhaust gas velocity and exhaust tube length.

Larger diameter exhaust tube comes into "tune" at a higher rpm than smaller diameter tube of the same length.

Practical applications are Ford "high-velocity" exhaust ports (read smaller area but higher gas velocity) and "long-tube headers" (again smaller diameter but longer length). Both applications increase low rpm torque values.

(We did this fifty years ago on the Can-Am cars)
Yeah, that. Well stated.

All that said, I think the general consensus is correct - what you really need is a decent dyno tune by a competent tuner.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:00 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

If this helps. The two dyno sheets are identical build and dyno. The only difference is the pipes. The RB is 1 3/4 2-1 and the Python staggered duals are 1 5/8.

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 11-17-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Interesting little dip in torque with the RB header at about 2700 rpm. Also interesting that the 2-1 header reach peak torque a lot sooner, but is a lot "peakier."

Quick Reply: A Conversation on the effects of header pipe diameter.