Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Best Performance With 1250 Big Bore kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,051 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
How it the work any different going from 88 to 106? As far as I know its simply a crank replace and buy different pistons/cylinders to get deck height correct.. I guess you might need to mod the frame but motor wise?
I will bow out and let Mr. Hillside give you a quote on an O8 rubbermount stroker. Haha 😆

I’m sure his shop has pumped out lots of stroker rubbermount xl’s

Old 12-21-2017, 10:05 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

splitting the cases on the rubber mount engines is a lot more difficult than it used to be as the trans does not come out a trapdoor anymore. when i went to the 2004 model year XL school at the motor company, we had to tear one down and put it back together again while being timed and observed and a basic function test.
that in its own right makes it harder but not impossible to do, and i dont think that i'd trust stock cases to something that wants to put out 120+hp and big torque especially and the center case connecting bolt area between the cylinders. like i said, not impossible, but i dont know many people that like Xl's as much as i do for as long as i have. mine is 100 hp and 105tq with a S&S 89 inch kit and too much more to list, but it is the love of my life!!!!
m

Old 12-30-2017, 01:41 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,113 Likes on 6,188 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
I will bow out and let Mr. Hillside give you a quote on an O8 rubbermount stroker. Haha 😆

I’m sure his shop has pumped out lots of stroker rubbermount xl’s
Good. Go be a dick somewhere else.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:11 PM
johnwesley
Tourer
Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Smowg50
I have a 2008 1200c Sportster. I've been looking into getting a 1250 big Bore kit. I think I've ruled out getting an 88" or 90" because I want to as much of the work myself as I can.
I have already got my exhaust and intake picked out. If i could get some input into preferred brands for big bore kits and cams, and anything else anyone might recommend for for this project. thank you in advance for everyone's help.
I’ve had good luck with hammer performance. All they really do is sportsters and are they do a good job. Aaron is easy to work with and very informative on direction and cam selection. He saved me money on what I was going to by fine tuning my build to better suit my driving habits. Once you have a build in mind he sends a build sheet and you can make changes to that until your happy and then that can get started. I had him do the 1250 kit with cams and head work. It was a fine running machine and very fun to play around on. I believe they stay on the for front of sportster engine development. You can get a ton of info off there site that can help you pic out exhaust, carbs, cams and such. There is a lot of info on his customers on the xl forum. Shoot them a email or call and just talk with them about what you want. That should help you make up your mind about if they are a good fit for you.

I followed the above advice for my twin cam. I email and called several people about what I wanted to do and it has really help me to nail down who I would like to use. Several people sent email replies that were not even about my engine or I got no reply at all. The two vendors here were very helpful and didn’t mind talking and offering up advice. (Getting my funds in order know) I know the warm fuzzy won’t help your engine run better, but if I don’t feel I can trust you, you can keep your reputation and I can keep my money. I like to spend money with people that I feel good about.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:47 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

I had him do the 1250 kit with cams and head work. It was a fine running machine and very fun to play around on. I believe they stay on the for front of sportster engine development. You can get a ton of info off there site that can help you pic out exhaust, carbs, cams and such. There is a lot of info on his customers on the xl forum. Shoot them a email or call and just talk with them about what you want. That should help you make up your mind about if they are a good fit for you.
Well stated. It isn’t a secret that they share a ton of information on their website. People like that, not being in the dark. They also back their dyno claims with lots of customers getting the same results. Not many companies out there pumping out 120-130hp pump gas 1250s/1275s......

Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by martinj
Good. Go be a dick somewhere else.
I call the shots as I see them, straight up and to the point. Maybe you should go be sensitive somewhere else. Haha 😆

Old 12-31-2017, 11:10 AM
martinj
Club Member

I call the shots as I see them, straight up and to the point. Maybe you should go be sensitive somewhere else. Haha ��
Nope. You're the one who was being a snarky jackass. Go back and read your posts in the third person and you'll see what I mean. Scott is a good guy who knows what he's doing. And I'm not being sensitive. I'm just "calling it as I see it." Haha.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:51 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by martinj
Nope. You're the one who was being a snarky jackass. Go back and read your posts in the third person and you'll see what I mean. Scott is a good guy who knows what he's doing. And I'm not being sensitive. I'm just "calling it as I see it." Haha.
LOL 😂 And still waiting to hear about this 106” and 114” stroker in a rubbermount Street Bike. I didn’t say he wasn’t a good guy or that he doesn’t know what he’s doing, but suggesting these big cube strokers in a rubbermount frame is hilarious!!!!!

Old 12-31-2017, 01:18 PM
martinj
Club Member

LOL 😂 And still waiting to hear about this 106” and 114” stroker in a rubbermount Street Bike. I didn’t say he wasn’t a good guy or that he doesn’t know what he’s doing, but suggesting these big cube strokers in a rubbermount frame is hilarious!!!!!
Did you stop to think that Scott missed the part about the rubbermount frame?
Happens, sometimes. Of course, I'm guessing you would never, ever make a mistake or overlook something? I'm done here.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

“Is the 1250 worth the extra money?
A 1250 is about 4% more displacement than a 1200. Assuming displacement is limiting the power of the motor, 4% more displacement would yield 4% more power. In reality, it generally comes out a little more than that, on the order of 6-7%, because there's an increase in compression that comes with it when comparing to a stock 1200. Also, the larger bore unshrouds the valves a bit more and enhances breathing.

So is 6-7% more power worth the cost of the kit? On an otherwise stock 1200, probably not. You can find more power than that with simple pipe and air cleaner changes. But once you've picked all the low hanging fruit, you'll quickly find that additional horsepower starts getting very expensive. At that point, a 1250 kit will be the cheapest horsepower you can buy.

On an 883 that's being converted, though, the picture is quite a bit different. The incremental cost of the 1250 kit over a 1200 conversion kit is only a couple hundred dollars or less. That makes the decision quite a bit easier. Toss in the fact that Sledge Hammer cylinders and pistons are much higher quality pieces than the stock type conversion pieces and it becomes a no-brainer.”

FYI: It’s quoted because I didn’t write it, but I feel it’s great information about a 1250/1275 set up over a standard 1200

Last edited by Madnss; 12-31-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Performance With 1250 Big Bore kit?