Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

woods 222 or cyclerama 570-2

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 05:03 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Wes Brown is coming up with some tricky lobe designs; check the overlap and exhaust timing on his cams compared to similar profiles. His cams come as close as possible to hitting hard low and mid range while still carrying the power out to the higher rpm range. All Cyclerama cams are performing very well and putting up some good numbers.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:41 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Wes Brown is coming up with some tricky lobe designs; check the overlap and exhaust timing on his cams compared to similar profiles. His cams come as close as possible to hitting hard low and mid range while still carrying the power out to the higher rpm range. All Cyclerama cams are performing very well and putting up some good numbers.
That recipe he has going really works
In the big motor cams not so much. His prototype big inch cams fell a little short as target64 found out. His tried and true 651 cams follow a more typical profile.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:36 AM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Are you sure that isn't just the bro cam science?
I don’t understand what bro science is. Maybe I poorly chose my use of science vs. belief’s. My point being in reference to the BELIEF that, if you’ve got it down low, you’ll loose it up high, and visa versa, when choosing a cam. The 570’s really shine down low, yet yet maintain all the way through the rpm’s, with a very flat and long torque curve. They also build more horsepower (it seems) than any other drop in cam, when doing cam only (stage 2) upgrades.

Originally Posted by mirrmu
hahaha
Prove me wrong, please. For a cam ONLY upgrade, I dare you to find a better cam for a 103” twin cam. And this comes from someone who chose Woods tw-222’s. And I’m not talking about a cam change with a compression increase of any kind (no .030 gaskets)

Pretty hard to argue this. Imagine if a Fatcat 2-1 was used

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 01-28-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 771 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
I don’t understand what bro science is. Maybe I poorly chose my use of science vs. belief’s. My point being in reference to the BELIEF that, if you’ve got it down low, you’ll loose it up high, and visa versa, when choosing a cam. The 570’s really shine down low, yet yet maintain all the way through the rpm’s, with a very flat and long torque curve. They also build more horsepower (it seems) than any other drop in cam, when doing cam only (stage 2) upgrades.

Prove me wrong, please. For a cam ONLY upgrade, I dare you to find a better cam for a 103” twin cam. And this comes from someone who chose Woods tw-222’s. And I’m not talking about a cam change with a compression increase of any kind (no .030 gaskets)

Pretty hard to argue this. Imagine if a Fatcat 2-1 was used

Bafflingbs, what are your thoughts on this cam for a stage I 96ci 2008 Softail Custom? Thanks.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:12 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Bro science is from the weight lifting world. It is something that gets repeated as fact without any evidence or anything based in fact at all. The two big reasons. First the guy regurgitating the information doesn't have any real type of understanding and gives bad info because of his ignorance. The other is the money factor. Since I have bought this. Since I have paid money for this. It has to be the best choice because I wouldn't of made anything besides the best choice. Then a lot of the "science" you hear gets pretty crazy but it all backs up why they made the best choice. This also goes along with the fan boys and cheer leaders.

Bro science wasn't an insult. It is just what happens on forums and the internet sometimes. I don't know if it is the best bolt in cam. I do think it is a great option for somebody looking for that power to suit their riding style.

The following 2 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
Bafflingbs (01-28-2018), Fat11Lo (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 05:41 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mule
Bafflingbs, what are your thoughts on this cam for a stage I 96ci 2008 Softail Custom? Thanks.
I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, it was designed for twin cams 2007 and up. Not sure if it's the best cam for a softail though. Unless you like wheelies In all seriousness though, my knowledge in the cam world, is what I've read. I prove that by saying I think this cam is the best, even though I paid more for the 222's. I can tell you this though, it wouldn't be a bad choice for you. It will also future proof you, as it is designed to run up to 10.2-1 compression. I think your compression is 9.2-1. I also think, you'd be better served by doing a 103" or 110" along with the cam of your choice. But, if you do the cams, do it right and replace HD parts with better stuff. ie., cam plate (maybe), torrington cam bearings, lifters and adjustable push rods. But again, honestly, I'd call a professional of your choice. I love Fuel Moto for just about any of my motorcycle needs. (Jamie is a member here) I also like Hillside, Scott is a member here and he ranks these cams the highest as far as numbers go. He like's Woods 222's second and Andrews 48's next. But he also said he like the 48's for cost effectiveness, as they are the least expensive cams. You can also contact Sheffer performance about these cams and a 96" see what they say. If you visit their page, they may even have a dyno chart for the 96TC "B". Big Boyz head porting, maybe able to help maximize your power via. head porting and decking them. Their prices are the best I've seen. However, I have no knowledge of the quality of their work. I'd say, know what style of riding you do, read this: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...1-and-2-a.html (and read it again, until you understand how cams work and what to look for based upon your needs). And to research just about every cam available, (except the 570's, for some reason) go to here: http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/tccams.htm
Finally, also understand how everything works together. The best cams in the world can do nothing without a good intake and especially a good exhaust system. I found that out the hard way. Too open of an exhaust will hurt your low end torque very badly. But, that might not be such a bad thing for you, because of your light front end. You'll get the high numbers, but the curves may move to the right. These cams were designed more for the heavy baggers, as we need the torque down low. You may want more of a mid range cam. Again, that depends on your style of riding. I hope I've helped you, and haven't confused you. Beware the people pushing the stuff they have, they've already made up their minds.

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 01-28-2018 at 06:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Mule (02-06-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Numbers are on Sheffer's Performance page along with several dyno's with the 570-2's. I have seen the same. Flat tq curve. Last one I did popped over 100 at 2400 and carried out over 100 to 5000. Max was 107. 2-1 supermeg with disc tuned. Straight bolt in.
How many disc , closed or open endcap? Can you please post the Dyno Sheet.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:00 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

36 disc closed end cap. IME they do not like an open.

Attached Thumbnails woods 222 or cyclerama 570-2-putting.bmp  
The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (01-29-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 11:20 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts

Not knocking the cam, the designer or the dyno sheet but I would like to see it tuned by another on a 250i. There's not enough evidence except for one person one Dyno.....

Old 01-30-2018, 12:50 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,168 Likes on 6,207 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Not knocking the cam, the designer or the dyno sheet but I would like to see it tuned by another on a 250i. There's not enough evidence except for one person one Dyno.....
If you're talking about Daren's dyno sheets, I don't know why this isn't "enough evidence". He obviously has lots of experience with the cams, plus the "one person, one dyno" assertion makes it a very consistent (and in my mind, valid) comparison, since all the dyno runs can be directly compared to one another (no "happy" dyno versus "conservative" dyno). Anyway, here's a sheet that Wes sent me, for the sake of comparison....

Stock Road Glide 103, versus same bike with cams and tune...

I know, Wes probably spent some time tweaking the tune to get the most out of it, but it still shows the potential.

Quick Reply: woods 222 or cyclerama 570-2