Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

95" Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:19 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Another thing, if you wet sand your rocker covers over with some 1000 grit sand paper followed by some rubbing compound, that Mothers will make them shine up real good.
I'll have to give that a shot. That Mothers stuff works pretty good. I made a redneck polishing wheel out of some viva paper towels and a 1/2" wooden dowel to do the rocker covers, worked pretty slick on the Milwaukee drill.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:42 AM
SafetyFifth
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice build. Should be a strong runner

Old 02-14-2018, 01:56 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The OPs build is a spin off of a bolt on, out of the box build for the shade tree DIY guy developed buy a real smart guy named "Hippo" about 15 years back. SE Performance heads, SE flat top pistons, 570G cams and .030" Cometics. Unbox the parts, slap it together and the combination would make 95/105 numbers consistently and "pulled like an electric motor" according to Hippo.

Hippo was a well respected member of HTT years back and is no longer with us. I never met him but he always took the time to reply to PMs and share his knowledge with others. RIP Hippo, you have been missed!

Old 02-14-2018, 02:13 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Yep.
"Hippo build", as it was refered to.
That was back in the beginning of some of these message boards.
Should be fun.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:34 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
The OPs build is a spin off of a bolt on, out of the box build for the shade tree DIY guy developed buy a real smart guy named "Hippo" about 15 years back. SE Performance heads, SE flat top pistons, 570G cams and .030" Cometics. Unbox the parts, slap it together and the combination would make 95/105 numbers consistently and "pulled like an electric motor" according to Hippo.

Hippo was a well respected member of HTT years back and is no longer with us. I never met him but he always took the time to reply to PMs and share his knowledge with others. RIP Hippo, you have been missed!
You got it dude! It's funny, I read about the Hippo build after piecing all the parts together this winter. I was trying to put together a budget 95" build, that would lay down 100/100ish numbers. After reading about the results of Hippo builds I'm hoping my spin off should do about the same. With some wishful thinking, maybe even better. Gonna try to get this thing out on the road for the first ride next Wednesday, can't fricken wait! Temps might break 50 degrees lol.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:34 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced

Got the bike all finished up Tuesday! Initial start up went well, no oil leaks, no exhaust leaks, no intake leaks. Slowly brought it up to operating temp Tuesday night. We trailered it back down to my place the following morning for the break in ride (kudos to Dad for letting me take up his basement all winter with this thing ) We had an awesome 72 degree day up here yesterday and did 60 some odd miles with the boys, changed the oil, and went for another evening ride!

So happy with the result, the bike pulls so much harder now, and comes on way lower than it used to. Shout out to Jamie at Fuel Moto for hooking me up with a map for the build. Planning on doing a compression test once I get some more miles on her but so far everything seems good.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:45 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced

Break in is all finished! Took the bike over to the beach today before we get hit with 10-18" of forecasted snow later this week... Also took another quick video with a couple revs. SHE SOUNDS GOOOOOD!

Old 03-05-2018, 07:44 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by djl

Thanks for that explanation. Now I know how the hippo build came to be, and what it meant. Very cool.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:45 PM
Fxdbi-06
Intermediate
Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

a 96 cylinder is the exact same as the 88 cylinder? Its exactly the same size bore? The only difference in how they got 96 is the stroke...3.75 compared to your 88 at 4.00. You're telling us you put a 96 cylinder in place of your stock, which actually is the exact same cylinder?

Old 05-06-2021, 04:06 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Fxdbi-06
a 96 cylinder is the exact same as the 88 cylinder? Its exactly the same size bore? The only difference in how they got 96 is the stroke...3.75 compared to your 88 at 4.00. You're telling us you put a 96 cylinder in place of your stock, which actually is the exact same cylinder?
if you look at his first post, you will see that he used SE 3.875 Pistons.. next time read a little more carefully... And a 96" motor doesn't have a ..3.75 stroke...

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (05-06-2021)

Quick Reply: 95" Build