Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

95" Build

Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 95" Build

Figured I'd post some pictures from my 95" build I've been working on this winter. The quick rundown for the setup is:

- S&S 570c cams
- Screamin Eagle cast 10.25:1 (3.875") pistons
- Deck height: -.0015" (Pistons above bore)
- James Gasket MLS head gaskets (.045")
- Manual compression releases
- Screamin Eagle adjustable pushrods
- Stock '06 heads
- Bassani Road Rage 2
- S&S Stealth intake
- Dynojet Powervision (FuelMoto)

Old 02-07-2018, 08:05 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced

A quick video just before the build. Can't wait for the snow to melt to break her in now!

Last edited by cody.a.e; 02-07-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:59 PM
johnwesley
Tourer
Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

I like the black jugs, did you paint them?
It should run good. I’m jealous

Old 02-07-2018, 09:11 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnwesley
I like the black jugs, did you paint them?
It should run good. I’m jealous
I didn't paint them, they were some 96" take offs my buddy had lying around from when he did a 103" big bore. They're the factory wrinkle black finish from his street bob.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:27 PM
johnwesley
Tourer
Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by cody.a.e
I didn't paint them, they were some 96" take offs my buddy had lying around from when he did a 103" big bore. They're the factory wrinkle black finish from his street bob.
Well I really like them, guess I never noticed those didn’t have polished fines.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:02 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Sounds good....... Nice job....

Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice job and sounds sweet! I love the old-school look with the black jugs!

A couple of questions: How much did you boost the compression and did you replace your valve springs with heaver springs or do any head work?

I recently found out that my compression is at minimum on both cylinders so I am waffling on putting a take-off SE big-bore kit that I have in my 2001 or save it for a near future project.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:32 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced

Originally Posted by skinman13
Nice job and sounds sweet! I love the old-school look with the black jugs!

A couple of questions: How much did you boost the compression and did you replace your valve springs with heaver springs or do any head work?

I recently found out that my compression is at minimum on both cylinders so I am waffling on putting a take-off SE big-bore kit that I have in my 2001 or save it for a near future project.
Thanks man! I haven't ran an actual compression test yet but from running all my measurements through the Big Boyz calculator, I should be running around 197 psi / 10.26:1 static / 9.43:1 corrected. I'm not sure what the compression was on the bike before I did the big bore, nor do I know what the deck height was, and I haven't CC'd my heads so there are some unknown factors, but with some "assumed" values plugged in I should be looking at around a 40 psi compression increase on both cylinders. I installed the S&S 570 cams last winter on my otherwise stock 88". the 40 degree intake close on that cam lowered my corrected compression quite a bit making the bike a dog below 2500 rpm. I was fine with it because I hardly ever ride the bike below 2500 rpm anyways.

I have not done any head work (maybe next winter), and I am still running stock valve springs (maybe those too). Only work done to the heads is the drilling and tapping for the manual compression releases.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I am looking at changing everything from the lifters up including new cylinder studs. The heads, pistons, cylinders, cams and cam plate with high volume oil pump, carburetor and intake have less than 1000 miles on them. Seems my nephew wanted more and decided to go a different direction and I benefited from his decision in a big way.

Everything else is new SE or OEM except I decided to go with S&S lifters and other aftermarket bits and pieces. I spent a year picking up this and that when I found an exceptionally good deal online or swap meets or dealer discount tables and now I have it all together ready to go.

I really love working on these things and I was thinking about finding a good deal on another neglected 2001-2002 Softtail or bagger with a worn out 88 and do a frame up restoration on it and put this kit in that. Now I am considering putting the kit in this Dyna and enjoying it awhile. I guess I can always swap them back if I wanted.

Another thing, if you wet sand your rocker covers over with some 1000 grit sand paper followed by some rubbing compound, that Mothers will make them shine up real good.

Last edited by skinman13; 02-08-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced

I forgot to mention that I also have S&S premium lifters. Picked em up along with my cams for $300 bucks. This dude was all ready to put the cams and lifters in along with his 106 kit then realized he wanted EZ starts instead. SCORE. Not really sure why he opted out of using the lifters, the packaging wasn't even opened.

Last edited by cody.a.e; 02-08-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95" Build