Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Another VT noise thread after cam upgrade

Old 02-09-2018, 05:54 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Another VT noise thread after cam upgrade

Just upgraded my 2014 103 to the CR570-2 cams. Getting valve train noise. I have the S&S Premium Lifters, also did the Zippers dual piston chain tensioners along with the Axtell oil bypass valve and SE Adjustable push rods set at 3 turns. So it may just be me but I have engine noise...Valve Train and a cam chest rattle at idle, sometimes.
I have readjusted the push rods 3 times. It just does not sound right to me. It has been in the 40's to 60's here and the oil pressure is at lowest 17, highest 42. I am a retired tech of 45 years and not afraid to ask but it seems or sounds like a oiling issue. I will be taking it apart and looking but I suspect the oil bypass valve....when I installed it I barely had to push on the spring spacer to install the pin. At this point I am thinking IF I HAVE TO TEAR IT DOWN AGAIN to replace the plate and pump also to a upgraded set.
Bike runs fantastic, Really like the cams, lots of TQ throughout the RPM range but the noise is more than stock . I know you get noise from different cam ramp design and I am setting on top of a engine but it just does not seem right.
Any input is appreciated. I have put about 300 on the new cams and its still together, hit the rev limiter a couple of times...

Last edited by barrygreen; 02-09-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:56 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Your oil pressure is perfect. Depending on the ramps, there can be a lot of ticking. I have run numerous cams and some are really noisy - especially in the 2300-2700 range. Holy crap - you should have heard some of the Woods cams! Super fast ramps - lots of noise. Like a little mariachi band was under my tank and they were all playing maracas.

Your pushrod adjustment should be targeting .100" and many people will give the adjustment another couple of flats. Typically .200" is the internal of the lifter so .100" is centering it.

The guy who sells rockouts will probably be along soon telling you they cure everything. I don't worry about a lot of the valve train noise in that range. If the cams have fast ramps, you're most likely going to have noise. Also, these engines really make sound travel and sound worse than it is.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-09-2018 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
barrygreen (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:02 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Your oil pressure is perfect. Depending on the ramps, there can be a lot of ticking. I have run numerous cams and some are really noisy - especially in the 2500-2700 range. Holy crap - you should have heard some of the Woods cams! Super fast ramps - lots of noise.

Also, the guy who sells rockouts will probably be along soon telling you they cure everything. I don't worry about a lot of the valve train noise in that range - also, these engines really make sound travel.
No, they don't cure everything, just what they were designed to cure... rocker shafts clattering against the support plate hold down bolts.

Lifters, fast cam ramps, loose pushrods.... no help there. Although fast cam ramps can make the rocker shafts more prone to rotation.

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

barrygreen (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:34 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

The description of the sounds is a little vague.
The description of the build is a little vague.

As for the sounds:
Try and isolate exactly where it is coming from. Is it coming from the cam chest, the front cylinder, the back?
(Use a stethoscope if you have one. The only reason I own one is a friend of mine bought me one because he did not like seeing me use a 40 year old rusty bumper-jack tire iron, but it did the job.)

As for the build:
How many miles were on the engine?
Were there any other mods to it?
(Example: You will hear more cam noise through an open air filter then stock.)

Did you read through this thread?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...h-new-cam.html
Any chance anything there may apply?

Old 02-10-2018, 04:13 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
Just upgraded my 2014 103 to the CR570-2 cams. Getting valve train noise. I have the S&S Premium Lifters, also did the Zippers dual piston chain tensioners along with the Axtell oil bypass valve and SE Adjustable push rods set at 3 turns. So it may just be me but I have engine noise...Valve Train and a cam chest rattle at idle, sometimes.
I have readjusted the push rods 3 times. It just does not sound right to me. It has been in the 40's to 60's here and the oil pressure is at lowest 17, highest 42. I am a retired tech of 45 years and not afraid to ask but it seems or sounds like a oiling issue. I will be taking it apart and looking but I suspect the oil bypass valve....when I installed it I barely had to push on the spring spacer to install the pin. At this point I am thinking IF I HAVE TO TEAR IT DOWN AGAIN to replace the plate and pump also to a upgraded set.
Bike runs fantastic, Really like the cams, lots of TQ throughout the RPM range but the noise is more than stock . I know you get noise from different cam ramp design and I am setting on top of a engine but it just does not seem right.
Any input is appreciated. I have put about 300 on the new cams and its still together, hit the rev limiter a couple of times...
If a 32 TPI pushrod adjuster screw, 4.6 turns.
3.5 turns if 24 TPI.
That loads the lifter to .140", allowing to maintain proper, and positive pre-load at full thermal expansion.
Not to be followed, if using travel limiters.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
barrygreen (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 06:56 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
If a 32 TPI pushrod adjuster screw, 4.6 turns.
3.5 turns if 24 TPI.
That loads the lifter to .140", allowing to maintain proper, and positive pre-load at full thermal expansion.
Not to be followed, if using travel limiters.
Scott
BUT, the “sometimes “ cam chest rattle comment leads me to think there’s something else going on.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:28 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
BUT, the “sometimes “ cam chest rattle comment leads me to think there’s something else going on.
That is whats bugging me......ever wake up in the middle of the night and go "did I tighten that?" According to what Axtell promises the pressure should be higher
So I am going to look into it. I am afraid to say I don't remember torquing the outer chain tensioner, might be loosing some pressure from that.
So now to pull the dang exhaust off again, it would be nice if the cover came off without doing that...lol
I will report back.

Last edited by barrygreen; 02-10-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:44 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Scott clearly stated the extra flats for a little more preload - I am onboard with that - Thanks Scott.

Just an FYI - at a certain point there is no benefit but actually a detriment to increasing the oil pressure. Not trying to divert the thread - just curious how high you want it to be and why you want it to be that high.

My comments were based on you wanting to take it apart "again" for oil pressure and I didn't see a giant red oil pressure flag from the original comments. Thanks.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-10-2018 at 08:09 AM.
barrygreen (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:15 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Scott clearly stated the extra flats for a little more preload - I am onboard with that - Thanks Scott.

Just an FYI - at a certain point there is no benefit but actually a detriment to increasing the oil pressure. Not trying to divert the thread - just curious how high you want it to be and why you want it to be that high.

My comments were based on you wanting to take it apart "again" for oil pressure and I didn't see a giant red flag from the comments. Thanks.
I am on board with trying that, probably will. Like I said it has not come apart yet. The whole point for me installing the Axtell valve was to avoid the loop, not so much to gain pressure.
High flow is better, pressure is resistance and not always good. I was just stating that they show the oil pressure to be a bit higher and I am not getting that, seems the same to me.
Like I said when I put the valve in it was super easy with almost no down pressure to put the pin in. At this point I am going to ad another 1/2 turn to the push rods and feel the tubes
while running.
Oh and yes the Rockouts are in there, it was a easy install without the push rods in.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

The one thing that is comforting me is I heard them fire up a 2018 with a M8 in the dealer yesterday with stock exhaust and I thought it had a lot of engine noise.

Also my concern about the oil pressure is it is not 110* here in Texas yet....haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another VT noise thread after cam upgrade