Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Want to replace manual compression release valve with automatic ones

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 PM
Macs338
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to replace manual compression release valve with automatic ones

Hello, I have a 2012 super glide with a 120R. I have the manual compression release valves already install. My question is will the automatic release valves go in the same holes the Manuel one are in? I want to replace them because it can be hard to start at times. Thank you for any help or advise.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:10 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default no they wont

if your manual ones are drilled into the heads beside the spark plugs the answer is no they wont. the auto acr ones one in the center of the head and vent into the exhaust port. u will need a wiring harness change to wire in new acrs, u move fule pump wires around in fuse box and add wire to plug for computer to open the new acrs when the starter button is pushed. U will also need to activate them with se race tuner or dynovision or similar programmer

Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

The ACR is a 12mm tap so you can't just toss them in your current holes. To stick with the 10mm, this is an outstanding option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/harley-acr-...dVHzFx&vxp=mtr

Comes with everything you need. I've installed them on my 106" Evo build and they work perfectly. Although mine is a very custom install (I installed them in the center of the rocker boxes and tapped directly in the wires at the harness), you can make it work just the same using your current 10mm hole.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 02:37 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default must be a new kit

don't think that conversion adaptor kit was out when I did mine back in 2011 sorry for the mis info earlier

Old 03-20-2018, 04:00 PM
Macs338
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem. That's what this is about. Sharing knowledge and information.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:43 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

"I want to replace them because it can be hard to start at times"

Whether they are auto or manual compression releases, they both serve the same function. If you got hard starting going on, its probably not the compression releases.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:41 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs338
Hello, I have a 2012 super glide with a 120R. I have the manual compression release valves already install. My question is will the automatic release valves go in the same holes the Manuel one are in? I want to replace them because it can be hard to start at times. Thank you for any help or advise.
If you have manual releases, why do you need ACRs? If for convenience, understood; however, ACRs won't solfe the hard starting issue.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:40 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
The ACR is a 12mm tap so you can't just toss them in your current holes. To stick with the 10mm, this is an outstanding option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/harley-acr-...dVHzFx&vxp=mtr

Comes with everything you need. I've installed them on my 106" Evo build and they work perfectly. Although mine is a very custom install (I installed them in the center of the rocker boxes and tapped directly in the wires at the harness), you can make it work just the same using your current 10mm hole.
Did you pay $275 for those parts? The harness is $48 and the ACRs are $35 each; not sure what the 10mm/12mm adapters cost but $275 appears a bit OTT. Are the OEM ACRs threaded the same as manual CRs? I have installed manuals but have never had an ACR in my hands.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Did you pay $275 for those parts? The harness is $48 and the ACRs are $35 each; not sure what the 10mm/12mm adapters cost but $275 appears a bit OTT. Are the OEM ACRs threaded the same as manual CRs? I have installed manuals but have never had an ACR in my hands.
Look closely at the difference between a traditional push button CR compared to the ACR. 10mm tap vs. 12mm, and about twice the depth. Not to mention, with the ACR you have to stop the 12mm tap about half way up and bore out a larger area (but not too large so you still have a seal from the crush washer) AND you have to come at that new cavity from the side to vent the compression gasses while the ACR is activated. On the new TC engine, that hole goes into the exhaust port.

Yes, I paid that much and in my opinion totally worth it. They're precision machined stainless steel, no way in hell could I replicate that. Not to mention, there isn't room anywhere on the Evo head for the 12mm ACR's. I barely made the 10mm hole fit.

And if you want a machinist to put them in your current heads you'll pay them way over $130ish, which is the value of the adapters.

BTW, the auction seller machines the adapters. You can't get them anywhere else.

Last edited by Mattbastard; 03-21-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:48 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Look closely at the difference between a traditional push button CR compared to the ACR. 10mm tap vs. 12mm, and about twice the depth. Not to mention, with the ACR you have to stop the 12mm tap about half way up and bore out a larger area (but not too large so you still have a seal from the crush washer) AND you have to come at that new cavity from the side to vent the compression gasses while the ACR is activated. On the new TC engine, that hole goes into the exhaust port.

Yes, I paid that much and in my opinion totally worth it. They're precision machined stainless steel, no way in hell could I replicate that. Not to mention, there isn't room anywhere on the Evo head for the 12mm ACR's. I barely made the 10mm hole fit.

And if you want a machinist to put them in your current heads you'll pay them way over $130ish, which is the value of the adapters.

BTW, the auction seller machines the adapters. You can't get them anywhere else.
I will make the comparison between my CRs and ACRs; my tuner has several ACRs laying around. I run regular CRs in both my bikes ('02 and '05 models) but the convenience of ACRs does interest me. I am a visual type and will have to see the ACRs to understand what you are saying regarding the depth and venting.

If the vendor machines the adapters, the $275 starts to make sense.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Want to replace manual compression release valve with automatic ones