Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

engine dying at red light or stop sign

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 AM
cando
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default engine dying at red light or stop sign

I have a 2017 ultra limited low the engine sometimes dies when stopping at a red light or stop sign has anyone else have this problem with the new engine?

Old 04-19-2018, 11:43 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

If it had an IAC I would say try cleaning it, but I don't think your bike has that.
Is the bike stock or have you done some mods to it, like a tuner? It's under warranty so get it to a dealer.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:06 PM
cando
6th Gear

I have 41/2 inch slip on pipes and vance& hines Fuel processor FP3. Just got back from H-D first thing they tried to say is the FP3 could void warranty but I shut that down quick. that was the first thing I verified before buying the FP3. they set up an appointment for Monday. they also said to flash FP3 back to stock and drive to see if it still dies at stops.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:04 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Can you start your bike in gear by pulling in the clutch lever? As weird as this may sound, several people have had a problem with stalling that was caused by a defective clutch safety switch. If the switch is defective, the Left hand Control Module (switch pack) must be replaced. Just a guess and very easy for you to check, put bike in gear, pull in clutch lever, hit start button and see if it starts.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-stalling.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...m8-owners.html

Old 04-19-2018, 03:16 PM
103inches
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cando
I have a 2017 ultra limited low the engine sometimes dies when stopping at a red light or stop sign has anyone else have this problem with the new engine?
Does the idle drop off, and then stall? Whenever that happened to me it was tune-related. Also, if aftermarket stage 1 voids the warranty we're all screwed.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:35 PM
cando
6th Gear

thanks for the info..My bike has never been able to start in gear have always had to put it in neutral, when I asked about it the dealership said "that's the way the new bikes work." so I never gave it another thought until now I called a different dealership a few min.ago they said it should start in gear with clutch engaged that the trike is the only one that wont start in gear. it's hard to get a straight answer.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:53 PM
103inches
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

IIRC there's a chart of some kind in the owner's manual or shop manual, that takes you through the proper functioning of all the safety switches, i.e. clutch, side stand. Anyway with clutch pulled in, bike starts in gear or neutral. Unless something brand new for 2017/18 is going on. Had a slightly embarrassing moment recently where I tested this functionality on my 2013 Dyna. Not sure if this has any bearing on your idle issue...

Old 04-19-2018, 04:26 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

thanks for the info..My bike has never been able to start in gear have always had to put it in neutral, when I asked about it the dealership said "that's the way the new bikes work." so I never gave it another thought until now I called a different dealership a few min.ago they said it should start in gear with clutch engaged that the trike is the only one that wont start in gear. it's hard to get a straight answer.

AFAIK, the trike will start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in but you also have to apply the brake (hand or foot) at the same time.

This is for your 2017 Limited

To activate the starting system, the clutch interlock circuitry requires that the clutch be disengaged. The clutch lever must be pulled in against the left handlebar grip and/or the transmission must be shifted to the neutral position (with the green neutral lamp lit). Apply the brake to prevent movement of the motorcycle.

This is for a 2017 Trike

Starting Engine In Neutral
  1. Apply the front or rear brake to prevent movement of the motorcycle.
  2. Squeeze the clutch lever in against the hand grip. Shift transmission to neutral (with the green neutral lamp lit).
  3. Do not roll the throttle.
  4. Press the engine start switch to start the engine.
Starting Engine In Gear
  1. You must apply the front or rear brake to start the engine and to prevent movement of the motorcycle.
  2. You must squeeze the clutch lever in against the hand grip.
  3. Do not roll the throttle.
  4. Press the engine start switch to start the engine

Here's another about stalling & the clutch switch (read all the pages & links)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...l-problem.html

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 04-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 PM
onecoolpilot
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My Heritage started doing this once. I would be riding along, pull the clutch in, and it would die. I took a can of carb cleaner and with the straw attached, I sprayed it into the throttle body. There's a little bleed hole at the top there for the idle. I read it could get clogged up and cause this problem. After the carb cleaner, I haven't had an issue again.

Looks like it might be time for me to hit it with the cleaner again...

Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

ON the M8's it's a sign the clutch safety switch is out, mine did the same thing with less than 500 miles on it. Stalled at a light and couldn't start till I put her in neutral. Try starting the bike in gear with the clutch in, it doesn't the switches bad and this is a very common issue with them.

Warning signs are stall's and erratic idle.

Quick Reply: engine dying at red light or stop sign