Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Not sure my pushrods are adjusted correctly...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:46 PM
RomeoTango
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Not sure my pushrods are adjusted correctly...

Installed Cyclerama Cr 570-2's, Hylift Johnson SE lifters and SE tapered pushrods today. As I've adjusted my pushrods I am leary that I did it right. On the jack, I rolled the rear wheel such that the front lifters were "moving" and the rear not. I installed the rear pushrods. Then the same for the fronts. As I adjusted each set I took out the slack, then I could BY HAND adjust nearly 3 turns each. Maybe the last half turn took an easy wrench, but it was so easy to turn the first 2 turns. I soaked the lifters for two nights so I expect they were primed.I am certain I do not have something right. I will research of course, but in the meantime if any has any advice I would much appreciate additional guidance.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:12 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,046 Likes on 1,897 Posts

Originally Posted by RomeoTango
Installed Cyclerama Cr 570-2's, Hylift Johnson SE lifters and SE tapered pushrods today. As I've adjusted my pushrods I am leary that I did it right. On the jack, I rolled the rear wheel such that the front lifters were "moving" and the rear not. I installed the rear pushrods. Then the same for the fronts. As I adjusted each set I took out the slack, then I could BY HAND adjust nearly 3 turns each. Maybe the last half turn took an easy wrench, but it was so easy to turn the first 2 turns. I soaked the lifters for two nights so I expect they were primed.I am certain I do not have something right. I will research of course, but in the meantime if any has any advice I would much appreciate additional guidance.
an easy trick stick a drinking straw down the cylinder thru the spark plug hole to be sure you are at TDC, the cylinder on the exhaust stroke the tappets will move slightly when turning the crank, the one on the compression stroke the tappets will not move. I used S&S quickees and just set them until feel 0 lash + how many turns called for by the MFG of the push rods (4 turns for the S&S). I could start to spin the push rods after about 1 min bleeding down. Also used S&S premium lifters and are very quiet on start up.

The following users liked this post:
RomeoTango (04-26-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 05:43 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Easier yet;
Example;
When the rear exhaust lifter is all the way up............the front exhaust lifter HAS TO BE all the way down.......adjust that one and do not move the engine until it spins freely.
Takes longer, but you'll NEVER have an issue this way.
Repeat on all until completed.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
RomeoTango (04-26-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 02:09 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 713 Likes on 625 Posts

soaked the lifters, did you stroke them also? minute clearances.

adjusting for pumped up lifter or for hydro-solids or s&s spacers?
you want .020 clearance at least between retaining clip and lifter plunger as you do not want them to meet, blow the clip out.

RomeoTango (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:24 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by RomeoTango
I used this excellent video to do my cam install:

RomeoTango (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 06:36 PM
RomeoTango
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Follow up: I used that video and it was great! I readjusted the lifters per each cylinder at TDC and put three turns on my SE tapered pushrods. Started the bike and it clattered like crazy. I did not ride, but let it idle for a bit and the lifters pumped up - but I still had a tapping noise. I took a length of 5/16 inch tubing (its what I had), put one end to my ear and ran the other end around the push rod tubes, lifter blocks and exhaust flanges to isolate the noise. At the end of my discovery session I realized the rear exhaust was leaking. Let the bike sit overnight and re-torqued that rear exhaust - walla! no more noise. I'll keep an eye on it and I have a tune scheduled for next week. Will ask the tuner how it sounds.

Thanks for the help and responses!

GalvTexGuy (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:44 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Glad you found it wasn't anything serious. Keep us updated on your tune.