Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Crank Runout Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:50 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

there is no provision for loading the bearing with a prybar like that, the spec is to be measured in the tradtional style, as you have pictured. what compensator are you using? have you twisted your crank?
m

Old 04-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

As many have stated. There is no reason to be applying pressure like you are - that is abnormal.

Can you describe when the knock occurred exactly?

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-26-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marcodarq
there is no provision for loading the bearing with a prybar like that, the spec is to be measured in the tradtional style, as you have pictured. what compensator are you using? have you twisted your crank?
m
Using the Screamin Eagle Compensator. Don't know what you mean have I twisted the crank

Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

The crank shafts on some bike can get knocked out of truem0n s0me bikes that are ridden very hard or due to some other causes. One wheel is jot in alignment with the other, hence the expessi0n, the crank is twisted. I'm not saying that that is your issue, but if you have exhausted allmother thoughts, it might be amnew path to travel in your investigation.
M

Old 04-26-2018, 09:46 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
As many have stated. There is no reason to be applying pressure like you are - that is abnormal.

Can you describe when the knock occurred exactly?
I applied the pressure to see if the bearing was loose. As I said I was looking for something out of whack that could cause a knock. It was knock free until I installed the S&S kit as described in the original post. I removed that kit and went back to a 103 set-up. The knock with the S&S kit was clearly in the top end. I ran that kit 90 miles then removed it. When I went back to 103 there was a different knock that seemed to be in the bottom end so I went looking and started with the run-out indicator. I'm wondering if with the bearing that loose could the crank be moving up and down in the bearing causing the knock.... The engine has 36000 miles on it.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:49 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by marcodarq
The crank shafts on some bike can get knocked out of truem0n s0me bikes that are ridden very hard or due to some other causes. One wheel is jot in alignment with the other, hence the expessi0n, the crank is twisted. I'm not saying that that is your issue, but if you have exhausted allmother thoughts, it might be amnew path to travel in your investigation.
M
I get what you mean now. That is what I was wondering - could the extra torque in the 110 kit I had have put the crank out of round, but it's not showing on the indicator...

Old 04-29-2018, 05:38 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
cant imagine what it might be.......I've never heard of puttin pressure on crank bearing and then measuring run out.........so.....dont know why you'd do that........
besides the crank bearing .....the crank is supported by the bearing in the cam plate.....
I didn't put pressure on the crank bearing and then measure the runout. It was two separate operations. When I put the pressure on the bearing I was trying to determine how much movement there was. I wasn't turning the crank while putting pressure on the bearing.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:59 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I highly doubt that is your knock. I also don't understand how you put pressure on the bearing - it's in the case. If you were prying up on the shaft that passes through the oil pump and cam plate and read .012", I wouldn't be concerned.

The pictures are not really clear.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:22 AM
KDUBYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
I highly doubt that is your knock. I also don't understand how you put pressure on the bearing - it's in the case. If you were prying up on the shaft that passes through the oil pump and cam plate and read .012", I wouldn't be concerned.

The pictures are not really clear.
The oil pump and cam plate have been removed.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:39 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Ok. Pushing up like that isnt a spec.

Quick Reply: Crank Runout Help Please