Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

New rocker cover gasket, leaks.. re-torque or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:53 PM
NotAknucklehead
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New rocker cover gasket, leaks.. re-torque or replace?

Was able to finally take a ride after putting in the rockout lockers in, while successfull in that endeavor, my rear cylinder cover is leaking... have to hit the parts dept tomorrow for something else, while there figured I'd pick up another set of gaskets... but before I go through all of that may be I should loosen the bolts and just re-torque... I'd rather do it right the 1st time, and when that fails, do it right the 2nd time. I really would lot like myself much if I had to go back a 3rd time...

I dont have a flat enough surface to check the cover, and was sure to follow the torque sequence, so am at a loss to how I messed up...

Old 05-20-2018, 07:59 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Those gaskets can move around a little during assembly and it doesn't take much. You should probably take it apart (ugh) so you can wipe all the surfaces down, and reposition.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 PM
NotAknucklehead
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Those gaskets can move around a little during assembly and it doesn't take much. You should probably take it apart (ugh) so you can wipe all the surfaces down, and reposition.
Thanks.. umm.. ur i think..
Living the dream lol... I guess at that point I should just use a new gasket as well..

Old 05-20-2018, 08:43 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I've done it. Ooof! At least mine was on the front. But just think, if you don't get in there and clean it off, you'll be fighting a "weep" forever.
As you said, may as well do it right. The gasket should be re-usuable if you didn't tear it. But get a pair just in case. At least they're not expensive.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:46 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Glad to hear you got 'er done

Those gaskets are sold singularly... about 6 bux I think. No need to buy a set unless you need them.

Thanks again,

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!