Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Old skool rebuild and retro conversion for FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Ryan o
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old skool rebuild and retro conversion for FLHTCU

G'day all, I would like to rebuild an A96 tc motor . soon for my much loved 07 FLHTCU, but with out any computer ecu etc... apart from the obvious, complete re wiring of system and will going up in motor capacity,and all proper upgraded components , want to go back to basic's with a carburator, electronic ignition/coil or any..what ever, system , charging is not a problem these day's ,its rudiment,,, I am having zero issues with the system as is , just want to do it, so it will be so so easy to keep going in distant future... any pointer's and advice is appreciated, thank's in advanced ,... cheer's Ryan o Adelaide plains...

Old 06-14-2018, 06:11 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

to save my ***,i cant figure out why anyone would want to do this

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Ryan o
Intermediate

OK then , well as they say .......if you have to explain ,they will....... never understand.... right.!......so it's never ever been done before... great ?, I was asking really .if any one had done that before ,, for a .special .up coming retro . project I'm working on cheers and ride well !

Old 06-14-2018, 02:47 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If your '07 is "much loved' keep it as is and start looking for an earlier, much earlier, machine. That will save you endless headaches and lots of time and money. I think there is a reason why you will have a difficult time finding someone on this forum that has been down that road; just guessing so I could be wrong. Having said that, the entertainment value in following your project, should you undertake it, would be priceless. So, if you do proceed, please photo document the process from start to finish.

Ryan o (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,202 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan o
OK then , well as they say .......if you have to explain ,they will....... never understand.... right.!......so it's never ever been done before... great ?, I was asking really .if any one had done that before ,, for a .special .up coming retro . project I'm working on cheers and ride well !
Been done plenty of times...they even make a kit to do it.

Google "convert twincam Harley to carb" and read for days.

Multible youtube vids.

Ryan o (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Ryan o
Intermediate
Default conversion to basic's

Thank's there
Tom84FXST and all..other's . thank's OK ....this thought of going back , to basic's came to me , when refurbishing ...my .other ...07 FLH bare frame and all else,I purchased accident damaged... liked it a lot ,but never liked all the ... hi tech electronic's stuff on it ,ever... no real major drama's for me , thus far .. but have seen some other's , near stock ,late model 08's and up .. bikes, have had so ,so many serious issues , but nearly , 999.9% all electronic related ... a real head fugg when on road and long trips,eventually they replaced $o $o much , even then problem', still, existed , even there HD dealer's could 'nt sort it ... all sort's of electronic prob's .. replace near all ..$$$$$$$$. mmmm .....not for me I thought ..... cant be that hard?,... so a cando project I thought maybe , didn't know, it's been even done ,really till now ,I thought it must have , so why not ,?wasn't sure of which would be best way to go,carby wise etc, etc and really liked the Idea of simplicity, like my old shovel FL, and other's but with the durability and power ,and smoothness of the TC motor , the newest one's, don't do it for me , cheer's