Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil on rear plug need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:17 PM
farmersemail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on rear plug need some help

Ok this is my bike 2003 Harley softail heritage classic the motor has been built up 95 big kit, 585 lift cam gear driven,screaming eagle heads port ant polished, oversize valves and a Jim’s stroker crank,wiseco 10.5 flattop pistons, a super E carburetor,dynatek ignition.

I have Vance Hines big radius

Now this my problem the rear jug keeps getting oil in it. They are new rings and pistons and compression is good. The oil is coming from the intake. From the crankcase breather vents. Not getting in front jug due to the way the intake leans back to the rear. This what I think may be wrong. That’s why I am posting. Any help or opinions out there would listen

Old 06-17-2018, 05:49 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

If your sure the oil is from the breather vent, vent the oil lines to the atmosphere. D&K make kits for this that work very well.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:23 PM
farmersemail
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
If your sure the oil is from the breather vent, vent the oil lines to the atmosphere. D&K make kits for this that work very well.
ok will look in to that

Old 06-19-2018, 05:52 PM
ghost183
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

how did you notice the oil?

white smoke?
fouled plug?

when starting up?
when running?

an open breather might not be the best option if youre blowing out alot of oil....

just to refresh my mem..
you have 2 breather hoses going to a plastic Y fitting then into a single carb vent.. correct?

you can always try oil vent check valves.. they open only when the engine is running and close when no vac is pulling

Last edited by ghost183; 06-19-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

To help to control crankcase oil mist being ingested into the engine's intake tract, we enlarge the drain-back holes in the rocker support plates to .125-.130".
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 06-20-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:35 AM
farmersemail
Advanced

Originally Posted by ghost183
how did you notice the oil?

white smoke?
fouled plug?

when starting up?
when running?

an open breather might not be the best option if youre blowing out alot of oil....

just to refresh my mem..
you have 2 breather hoses going to a plastic Y fitting then into a single carb vent.. correct?

you can always try oil vent check valves.. they open only when the engine is running and close when no vac is pulling
I have white smoke and oil on rear plug
My buddy that rides with me says it is very prominent when I really get on it. Other wise not very noticeable on the s&s carb in take there is a low spot and it always has oil on it. I will look at check vale

Old 06-20-2018, 07:39 AM
farmersemail
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
To help to control crankcase oil mist being ingested into the engine's intake tract, we enlarge the drain-back holes in the rocker support plates to .125-.130".
Scott
thats is an idea. Just not wanting to tear top end down again. But my not have a choice. Thanks for info. On my heads. There is that spong infer the cap that is supposed to help with my problem
​​​​​​ do you think it my be causing moreo f a problem then it is helping. Again thanks for feed back

Old 06-20-2018, 10:07 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Curious note from the OP; how is it that the motor is 95" with a Jim's stroker crank? Just curious.

I noted that the bike is softail and plenty of softail owners often forget that since the oil tank is above the crank case, gravity will let oil pass from the oil tank to the crank case which often results in owners over filling. If over filling is not causing the oil issue, drilling the drain back holes to .125" as has been suggested is a good idea but I doubt it will solve such a severe issue. Drilling the drain back holes and replacing the early breather assemblies with the later stamped assemblies would be a worth while next step.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:42 PM
farmersemail
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
Curious note from the OP; how is it that the motor is 95" with a Jim's stroker crank? Just curious.

I noted that the bike is softail and plenty of softail owners often forget that since the oil tank is above the crank case, gravity will let oil pass from the oil tank to the crank case which often results in owners over filling. If over filling is not causing the oil issue, drilling the drain back holes to .125" as has been suggested is a good idea but I doubt it will solve such a severe issue. Drilling the drain back holes and replacing the early breather assemblies with the later stamped assemblies would be a worth while next step.
its not a 95 inch motor 95 inch jugs bored over .030. It is closer to 106inch. My bad overfill good point I will have to take a look. Make sure I only check with motor warm. Just a habit to check oil before I ride. If it was full when parked should be full when I start. Thanks for in put

Old 06-21-2018, 09:04 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Check with engine running and have been running for a bit to get all of the sump oil out of the crankcase.