Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

96" Build researching but still unsure

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:43 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Originally Posted by northeastconfederate
I would say you're on the right track with this. You asked about a tuner local to Iowa - my advice on this is to not limit yourself to your geographic area. I know that sounds frivolous or expensive. However, consider how expensive it is to do over. I had a local guy - who I since realized should never tune anything more sophisticated than a Radio Flyer wagon - and finally loaded my bike in the bed of my truck and drove 7 hours to get to a reputable tuner. Took the wife and made a weekend getaway out of it. My bike has never run better.

I also advise you to consider your goals with the bike. Sometimes goals change over time. I've had my bike for 15 years. At one time, all I cared about was having the look and sound of straight pipes with fishtails. I made it perform as well as I could with that setup and was happy with it.

Like you, I've raced cars in the past, both at the drag strip and roundy-round, so I have the performance bug. I totally get it.

Since then, I've built several versions of the motor with performance in mind. The only version I've been truly happy with is the current one, which is a pretty hot all-bore 107.

Again, don't limit yourself to your own geographic area. There are several sponsors on here who will do a good job, and will be happy to receive your parts in the mail. I shipped my stuff to Scott at Hillside. Did the same with a buddy's motor. I built my motor in my basement shop and installed it; Scott built my buddy's 124 and I installed the completed motor in his bike in my basement shop. We're both extremely happy with the results. Bothvare fast and reliable (his obviously faster than mine...... I might need a 124 myself.....)

Matter of fact, we're taking a road trip in a few weeks that will probably end up being 2500 or 3000 miles including a couple of 700 mile days.

It all depends what you want out of your bike and what you plan to do with it. If you want the most power you can get BUT you love the look and sound of such and so pipes - but they kill off 5 or 10 hp or tq - who cares? If you want the absolute best running combination, and that means you end up with a pipe you don't really like all that much... is it worth it? Everything is a compromise. There's really no wrong answer.

I also suggest that you listen to your builder about what pipe to use for your build. They know what works the best with that they build...

Old 08-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Right on guys. On the pipe thing specifically, it just seems they're "torque killers" from what I read. I know sometimes you take things with a grain of salt I just hadn't seen dyno numbers. You're exactly right NEConfederate, it's probably more accurate to say they aren't optimum for everything but things get misconstrued.

The performance bug is in the back of my mind, however, if I wanted to keep racing this I'd have gone after another 'Busa like I used to have to do that.

Again, can't thank you guys enough and getting this ole Wide Glide to become the "Muscle Cruiser" that's in my mind.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesy82
Thanks for the responses guys. I have a lot of riding and saving to do. I honestly thought before pulling the trigger on a set of jugs I may just plan on sending heads off and going with a set of cams. Upping the c/r on the 96" with a set of cams seams pretty easy and saves myself "buying the wrong jug kit" I guess haha.

Anyway, thanks again, lots of reading and a call to Fuel Moto or Hillside or both when things get closer.
Best way to avoid mistakes is to talk to a few people and then pick one vendor and develop a plan for a total package to meet your goals

My short list in no particular order
Scott @ Hillside
Kirby @ Vee Twin
Daren @ Sheffer Performance HD

Part of your plan should include a comprehensive dyno tune, that way your build is everything it should be

Old 08-14-2018, 09:47 PM
hetkehog
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

But on the other hand with pipes. I loved my pipes I had on before my build. Scott recommends D&D. 2 into 1. I was sceptical but now I have them and they are on, it totally fits the bike. And they are the beat preforming pipe for my build. I just couldn't justify spending thousands and not getting the most out of what I had built. My .02

Old 08-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It's personal preference. If I were racing a bike, I'd be looking into a completely different direction. This bike is so much more than ringing the last bit of HP out of it. I personally will end up sacrificing some power to make it what I want it sounds like.

I appreciate all of the input from everyone. Looking forward to get some things done.