Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Should I vent crankcase breathers?

Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts

Those 3 bolts hold your air cleaner backing plate to the throttle body

The two breather bolts support the complete a/c and throttle body assembly to the motor

Your way nothing is supported and the chance of a manifold leak is almost a guarantee

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 10:51 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dave

The two breather bolts support the complete a/c and throttle body assembly to the motor

Your way nothing is supported and the chance of a manifold leak is almost a guarantee

Dave
100% Agreed.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:02 PM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp

100% Agreed.
Originally Posted by Big Dave

Dave

Hey Big Dave and skid_pimp...Well I agree now too....thanks for the comments.....the TB was actually very rigid BUT by rights should have more support..............it ate at me all day so I changed it up.......Thanks!
sparkalot

Last edited by sparkalot; 08-18-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2018, 08:34 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts

Thats why i love this forum ,i have had more than my share of ,shall i say incidents LOL

Dave

Old 08-19-2018, 05:54 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sparkalot
Hey Big Dave and skid_pimp...Well I agree now too....thanks for the comments.....the TB was actually very rigid BUT by rights should have more support..............it ate at me all day so I changed it up.......Thanks!
sparkalot

Good deal man, lord only knows how long it would have worked, but I bet ya, it would have failed at the proper wrong time.... Glad we could help ya, and it looks like it was a cheap and easy fix to boot!

Old 03-02-2019, 07:03 AM
RockerE
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

I know this is kind of an old thread but I had a question that seems appropriate here. I have seen some people run their external breather hoses up to tuck it out of the way under the gas tank. Is there any concern in running it up instead of down? I ask because I am not completely happy with the routing of my breather hose and want to hide it a little more. I am tuning it back on the bike but don’t want to see the hose as much if not needed. If I do need to run it down and back then I will probably just replace the hose with a braided version so it will blend in better with the chrome. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:34 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Quincy2299
I know this is kind of an old thread but I had a question that seems appropriate here. I have seen some people run their external breather hoses up to tuck it out of the way under the gas tank. Is there any concern in running it up instead of down? I ask because I am not completely happy with the routing of my breather hose and want to hide it a little more. I am tuning it back on the bike but don’t want to see the hose as much if not needed. If I do need to run it down and back then I will probably just replace the hose with a braided version so it will blend in better with the chrome. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Yes you can run your breather hoses up, to hide them if that is what you want to do. Just realize that if your bike is a heavy mister that some of the fluid won't travel all the way up to the filter or catch can. And regardless if you have a heavy or light mister the residue in the hose will run to the heads not the filter/catch can when the bike is off.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:27 PM
RockerE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Yes you can run your breather hoses up, to hide them if that is what you want to do. Just realize that if your bike is a heavy mister that some of the fluid won't travel all the way up to the filter or catch can. And regardless if you have a heavy or light mister the residue in the hose will run to the heads not the filter/catch can when the bike is off.
I guess my question is, is it problematic if it drains back into the heads? My bike only has a little over 5k miles so far and when I took off the air filter it had a bit of oil in the intake so I am thinking it is a heavy mister.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:42 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,784 Likes on 3,300 Posts

Yes....... Absolutely......

Old 03-02-2019, 08:29 PM
RockerE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Yes....... Absolutely......
Then it sounds like I will be leaving it routed the way it is and looking for some braided lines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I vent crankcase breathers?