Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Scored Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 05:00 AM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndgenmarine
well see thats my problem. theres nothing wrong with my pistons, at all. the scar came from teardown because apparently my i.q. dropped 50 points for a minute and i got what i deserve. But me readin on here, people dont clean up the bore and put on slightly larger rings. And to that ive read that doin that might cause piston slap.

i think takin the bore 10 over would clean it up, but my hesitation in that comes from what ive read.
Get some .010 over pistons & have them fitted to your cylinders & you'll be fine.

The following users liked this post:
2ndgenmarine (10-19-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:17 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

That's the problem with getting a bore kit that's already at max bore, no oversizes.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

If you are from the car world, remember an automotive ring compressor is used upside down when installing a cylinder onto a piston on a Harley if the piston is already on the rod.

Also, what year is the bike?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 AM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
If you are from the car world, remember an automotive ring compressor is used upside down when installing a cylinder onto a piston on a Harley if the piston is already on the rod.

Also, what year is the bike?
thanks for reminder Ed, i remember that from the first bike i did. It was pretty common sense when i did it, but then again so was how i scarred my cylinder so who knows, i might go retarded again.

i thought i had it in my sig. its 2012 FatBoy Lo

Old 10-15-2018, 08:17 AM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wfolarry
Get some .010 over pistons & have them fitted to your cylinders & you'll be fine.
i looked into that as well, not really finding a definitive "3.885" piston. its either the 103 3.875 or up to 3.890-something. And it looks like those are just as pricy as brand new cylinders

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
That's the problem with getting a bore kit that's already at max bore, no oversizes.
tis why i dont really want no part of that.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

thanks for reminder Ed, i remember that from the first bike i did. It was pretty common sense when i did it, but then again so was how i scarred my cylinder so who knows, i might go retarded again.

i thought i had it in my sig. its 2012 FatBoy Lo
I looked on fleabay - plenty of take off 88" and 96" cylinders in black highlighted (I believe that's what you have). You problem should be solved with one of those, boring and a new set of rings. Again, this is a very simple fix.

That or buy Harley's oversize pistons and get them bored as everyone has said. The parts are all clearly listed on Ronnie's Harley online parts finder. .005" and .010" are listed with the crankshaft assembly.

If you looked up the engine section, you see cylinder sold with piston - crankshaft shows pistons separate.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 10-15-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:03 AM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser

I looked on fleabay - plenty of take off 88" and 96" cylinders in black highlighted (I believe that's what you have). You problem should be solved with one of those, boring and a new set of rings. Again, this is a very simple fix.
yea i hear ya, and thats more than likely the path im going down. ive sent a couple emails and im waiting to hear back. i dont like trusting other peoples work thats not local and im unable to wrap my hands around their neck, but in this instance i have no choice in this particular matter.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

yea i hear ya, and thats more than likely the path im going down. ive sent a couple emails and im waiting to hear back. i dont like trusting other peoples work thats not local and im unable to wrap my hands around their neck, but in this instance i have no choice in this particular matter.
You're not buying a sized cylinder - you're buying one you have to have bored to your piston. Just buy one that looks nice. I really think you are over complicating this.

The following users liked this post:
2ndgenmarine (10-19-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:25 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

You have mail; I may have a cost effective solution for you.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser

You're not buying a sized cylinder - you're buying one you have to have bored to your piston. Just buy one that looks nice. I really think you are over complicating this.
I probably am, hence forth-
this is only my second time going into a harley as im used to working on GM pushrod badasses.
As i am coming to understand it, the cylinders starting at the 88 are the same for a 103, just bored bigger. I took that knowledge and started looking up people that would do that for me. Its around the price im willing to pay and it is the viable solution instead of wondering why i cant seem to find the sized cylinder. makes sense now.

Quick Reply: Scored Cylinder