Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Scored Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:39 AM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Scored Cylinder

So thats it right? Once that happens you spend over 1k for bigbore cylinders and pistons? And i say that from ignorance since im having a hard time finding stock 103 replacement cylinders.

As i gather it theres no saving a cylinder once its scarred by taking it 5 or 10 over as apparently increasing clearance increases the chance of piston slap. i initially thought i can clean it up and put in some bigger rings, but reading some on here that dosent seem like a thing thats done.

I appreciate anyone who can clear up my findings. this is only my second time going into a harley as im used to working on GM pushrod badasses.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:39 AM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

That cylinder can be bored to a max of 3.937. You would have to have a pretty deep scratch to not be able to save them. Stock cylinders are plentiful & cheap.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:56 AM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wfolarry
That cylinder can be bored to a max of 3.937. You would have to have a pretty deep scratch to not be able to save them. Stock cylinders are plentiful & cheap.
well see thats my problem. theres nothing wrong with my pistons, at all. the scar came from teardown because apparently my i.q. dropped 50 points for a minute and i got what i deserve. But me readin on here, people dont clean up the bore and put on slightly larger rings. And to that ive read that doin that might cause piston slap.

i think takin the bore 10 over would clean it up, but my hesitation in that comes from what ive read.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just get a stock set of jugs and be done with it ?I would rather bore them than to run a oversize ring, but that's me.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:07 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,409 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Oversize rings do not account for excess cylinder wall clearance. Cast pistons are usually fit somewhere between .0005" and .0015" clearance, so a .010" over bore would make that clearance somewhere between .0105"-.0115", and would indeed result in "piston slap".

Old 10-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,787 Posts

Harley carries a .005 and .010 oversized piston,ring set for little over $200. No big deal . Both require a bore and crosslap hone for ring seat. Any oversize requires a bore for true round

Done correctly, you will never know the difference.
Actually, if a scar that does not catch a fingernail hit with a medium grit stone for crosshatch will be fine.

Standard pistons with a .010 oversized bore would sound like a just started diesel at 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Guess, to some, that may be cool but compression would be about half with that much piston rock.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-14-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:36 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

JE will even make you a piston.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

3 choices:
1) If it's visual and not a real scratch, just a pass with a ball hone should be fine. Install new stock size rings on piston.
2) If you want to run your existing pistons, buy a used OE 88 or 96 cylinder (95 and 103 are same bore) and have it bored for your existing pistons.
3) Buy a set of .005" or .010" oversize pistons and have both cylinders bored.

This is easy to fix.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:28 PM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Oversize rings do not account for excess cylinder wall clearance. Cast pistons are usually fit somewhere between .0005" and .0015" clearance, so a .010" over bore would make that clearance somewhere between .0105"-.0115", and would indeed result in "piston slap".
see thats was i was seeing so what i understood was correct, thank you very much bud.

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Harley carries a .005 and .010 oversized piston,ring set for little over $200. No big deal . Both require a bore and crosslap hone for ring seat. Any oversize requires a bore for true round

Done correctly, you will never know the difference.
Actually, if a scar that does not catch a fingernail hit with a medium grit stone for crosshatch will be fine.

Standard pistons with a .010 oversized bore would sound like a just started diesel at 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Guess, to some, that may be cool but compression would be about half with that much piston rock.
no it most definitely catches a fingernail, its ****ed without repair or replacement and im not looking to just get by, it needs to be done right but im not shelling out 900 bucks for a ****in big bore kit cause i dont need to go further down that damn rabbit hole to fix the tuning, im guessing, would come with that.

Originally Posted by Kaycee
Why not just get a stock set of jugs and be done with it ?I would rather bore them than to run a oversize ring, but that's me.
well, as the previous two mentioned you cant just run an oversized ring. and i want to just get a set of stock jugs, but as i have been reading, again, im worthless going into the harley world, everytime i look up 103 stock cylinder replacement, its ebay from a machine shop in Peoria, or "made in china", or "brand new 88" cylinder set" when i search for 103. case in point-
Trust a random machine shop, better than nothing i suppose
i guess 88 is the same thing as a 103 since it always gives me those results
"imported" is a professional way of saying china i guess

other that those likes, its "you must want a big bore kit" or used. I understand that i could go through drag specialties or my local HD (...fffuuuuuu) and just ask for stock replacements for 600-700 bucks. which is why i understand now why people just say to hell with it and big bore it. thanks for the help so far, as i see it, this little **** up is going to cost me more than i really hoped it would. i havent ventured down the path of oversized pistons yet, ill see to that possible later.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Just buy a take off 88 or 96” cylinder for 30$ and have it bored. Its a very simple fix.

Quick Reply: Scored Cylinder