Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

M8 crank strength compared to TC

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:32 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
You do know that just about any average Joe Blow can get into SDSU don't you? I assume you mean "your", not "you".....Guessing English wasn't a strong suit at SDSU....you know the rep of that school is weed smoking surfers and wanna be environmentalists -Does make me wonder if you aren't some Menehune hiding under some bridge (might want to Google what that is....)
This is great-Someone who says something, yet has zero data to back it up...then never actually backs up what they said. Typical internet blah, blah.

"no substitute for ex data?" Show us, where is it? Show us any empirical, verified, data in the World of which crank "TC vs. M8" has superior strength? You might need to actually get off your *** and do some work here.....let me help you save some time.....you ain't gonna find it cause it doesn't exist.
Me.....Had plenty of math, no physics, just hard knocks testing. Trust me, you are much smarter than me......I only know what I know, and I STAY IN MY LANE.
Not threatened, just dissapointed....you can do better. Show us some actual testing of an M8 vs. a TC crank.......which is better? Stronger?
Talk it? Then walk it....

Put in the work (any work, testing, sweat, hard knocks, A/B, anything other than couch BS). You may laugh at my hard failed testing but at least I'm putting in the work.
So my experience with the difference pin sizes on SnS cranks so far doesn't make any difference? Don't really care what you tested or broke. You are not putting that many miles on the street. I've never been at any parties at SDSU, I went part time while working. No time as I put myself through college. BTW when I went to SDSU, UCSB was the party college. I've never surfed in California. Know what a Menehune is. Had one on my high school class ring. Thanks for the complement, Sorry about the typos.

I guess there is no such thing as a educated guess.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 11-18-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:54 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

You do know that just about any average Joe Blow can get into SDSU don't you? I assume you mean "your", not "you".....Guessing English wasn't a strong suit at SDSU....you know the rep of that school is weed smoking surfers and wanna be environmentalists -Does make me wonder if you aren't some Menehune hiding under some bridge (might want to Google what that is....)
This is great-Someone who says something, yet has zero data to back it up...then never actually backs up what they said. Typical internet blah, blah.

"no substitute for ex data?" Show us, where is it? Show us any empirical, verified, data in the World of which crank "TC vs. M8" has superior strength? You might need to actually get off your *** and do some work here.....let me help you save some time.....you ain't gonna find it cause it doesn't exist.
Me.....Had plenty of math, no physics, just hard knocks testing. Trust me, you are much smarter than me......I only know what I know, and I STAY IN MY LANE.
Not threatened, just dissapointed....you can do better. Show us some actual testing of an M8 vs. a TC crank.......which is better? Stronger?
Talk it? Then walk it....

Put in the work (any work, testing, sweat, hard knocks, A/B, anything other than couch BS). You may laugh at my hard failed testing but at least I'm putting in the work.
For someone who is calling out a person for missing an "r" on his keyboard, youR offensive use of ".....", poor capitalization, and paragraph structure is astounding. You seem to really be taking this personal.

Wow.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,718 Likes on 3,494 Posts

Winter always has the most entertaining threads, and it's just started.

The following users liked this post:
PWMORRIS (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:49 AM
Sisu
Road Captain
Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
For someone who is calling out a person for missing an "r" on his keyboard, youR offensive use of ".....", poor capitalization, and paragraph structure is astounding. You seem to really be taking this personal.

Wow.
Checkout post #30 on the S&s 124" thread.. I don't have any degree but I do know the difference between you're and your. I learned that in elementary school.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sisu:
PWMORRIS (11-19-2018), rhuff (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 09:17 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I'm trying to follow this thread. From what I gather there is an ongoing argument comparing the strength of two similar crankshafts (equal size, similar material, etc), with one of the cranks having a larger diameter crankpin. If we assume all materials are the same, why would one think the crank with the smaller diameter crankpin is stronger or similar in strength to the unit with a larger diameter crankpin? Empirically, that doesn't make any sense to me. That seems to be the gist of what I am reading.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:03 AM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Here is an older S&S flywheel test of their TC 3 piece which some of you may not have seen. Not vs an M8 but at least its a test.
Superior design and materials, combined with crank pin size shows S&S vs. Harley is really no comparison. Not sure how much more an M8 would take until it shifted.

Last edited by PWMORRIS; 11-18-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:42 AM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

• Heat-treated 4140 material is harder and 114% stronger than stock
  • Harder material, eliminates thrust washer
  • Larger 1.671” diameter crankpin
  • Designed with increased cross-sectional area for increased crank-pin clamping force – No welding required!
  • Integral mainshafts – Eliminates two potential points of weakness
  • Consistent balance and precision machining – Truer flywheels and less vibration
  • Reduced mainshaft deflection at high rpm – less vibration, reduced piston and rod side thrusting, prevents oil pump damage, fully compatible with gear drive cams
  • Capable of higher rpm – More available power!
  • Trued to with in .0005” TIR
  • Rod Bearings have 20 rollers vs 18 stock
This is a quote from the S&S catalog.

The following users liked this post:
PWMORRIS (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is an older S&S flywheel test of their TC 3 piece which some of you may not have seen. Not vs an M8 but at least its a test.
Superior design and materials, combined with crank pin size shows S&S vs. Harley is really no comparison. Not sure how much more an M8 would take until it shifted.
https://youtu.be/o0M9yd4i70M

https://youtu.be/hkLUWqnk9s4
Sorry Paul, That is not an older flywheel. It's a 3 piece flywheel.. Look at the title. Older flywheels were 5 piece. They had pressed pinion and output. Here is an older flywheel half on the left and newer 3 piece on the right.. Sorry not I'm not destroying the one on the right to prove a point..

Old 11-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

BTW, Original 5 piece used aluminum plugs on the crank pin to seal the oil passage..On the 3 piece they started pressing in steel which is exactly like the dark horse pro-plug.

"Designed with increased cross-sectional area for increased crank-pin clamping force – No welding required!" (they are basically comparing to their older 1.5 inch pin.HD TCs have always been 1.671.)

Gee, I wonder if going from 1.671 to 1.750 increases the cross sectional area. That 's what HD did on M8 compared to the TC.

Also you are right about SDSU taking about anyone, After all they took me.. The engineers that flunked out typically went into the business school.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:29 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Sorry Paul, That is not an older flywheel. It's a 3 piece flywheel.. Look at the title. Older flywheels were 5 piece. They had pressed pinion and output. Here is an older flywheel half on the left and newer 3 piece on the right.. Sorry not I'm not destroying the one on the right to prove a point..

Yes, I know it's a 3 PC flywheel....and not an older flywheel......an older flywheel TEST from 4 1/2 years ago-check the Youtube timeline..May 6, 2014 - Uploaded by S&S Cycle, Inc
"Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
Here is an older S&S flywheel test"

But hey, Bruce, at least you started a trend at SDSU, and with more than 1 of three people who apply off the street getting accepted there, it's something I guess.
San Diego State University/Acceptance rate
34.4%...
Seriously though, it is a good quality school, and has an excellent Engineering program, although it is known for being a party school-not sure if it was like that when you went there.
I always say, it ain't where you came from, it's where you are going...

Quick Reply: M8 crank strength compared to TC