Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

M8 crank strength compared to TC

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:49 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default M8 crank strength compared to TC

Is there any truth the M8 cranks are more stout compared to its predecessor?
What about measure runout when you change cams, still way high?

Old 11-02-2018, 05:24 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Ask a builder that deals with them every day.
Most here have never taken the deep end apart as it is wat too specialized,

Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Is there any truth the M8 cranks are more stout compared to its predecessor?
What about measure runout when you change cams, still way high?
Spoke with my Indy a couple months back, (one of the biggest in the country) as far as strength goes he says they are about the same, most all of them are measuring in at .006 ...

Old 11-04-2018, 09:08 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Still high here these thing never get tired or wear in just keep on rolling away.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:29 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by FlaHeatWave
Spoke with my Indy a couple months back, (one of the biggest in the country) as far as strength goes he says they are about the same, most all of them are measuring in at .006 ...
You mention two unrelated things there! Runout of around .006 is presumably in spec (I don't have an M8) and doesn't affect strength.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,245 Likes on 3,623 Posts

While the pinion shaft and output shaft are the same size between TCs and M8s, HD upped the crank pin diameter some so they should be stronger. Runout does not equate to strength.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:40 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Until someone actually tests these cranks, or does an A-B side by side load stress test "should be", "could be", "might be", or "I think they should be" are worthless comments.
OP-
Neither pin diameter nor run-out measurement in and of themselves equals strength, reliability or longevity.
There has not been a side by side comparison so to answer your question......no one on this site knows-period.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,245 Likes on 3,623 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
Until someone actually tests these cranks, or does an A-B side by side load stress test "should be", "could be", "might be", or "I think they should be" are worthless comments.
OP-
Neither pin diameter nor run-out measurement in and of themselves equals strength, reliability or longevity.
There has not been a side by side comparison so to answer your question......no one on this site knows-period.

Well SnS made a 1 1/2 inch pin cranks as their first attempt to make TC cranks and it sucked. I've killed 2 and have a rebuilt 3rd that is about to die. Their 3 piece 1.671 crank-pin cranks seems to do much better. At least we know going smaller don't work. Maybe a little engineering logic helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
martinj (11-14-2018), TwiZted Biker (11-08-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 10:09 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Well SnS made a 1 1/2 inch pin cranks as their first attempt to make TC cranks and it sucked. I've killed 2 and have a rebuilt 3rd that is about to die. Their 3 piece 1.671 crank-pin cranks seems to do much better. At least we know going smaller don't work. Maybe a little engineering logic helps.
I have blown up and destroyed all kinds of cranks, and thats on me, and not on the manufacturer...
It is common knowledge you have bagged on S&S cranks in the past, but when I asked "what crank brand is better", I get crickets........
Here we go again...
"seems to do much better"...
Have you or anyone done AB testing to prove this? How? What testing proves this? You super limited shade tree mechanic experience on a couple cranks? Any engineering logic knows that is a laughable statement.
Do you realize S&S prostock cranks that hold 300 plus HP are only 1.5? ( I have run them BTW, but once again you haven't, nor do you have any data to support your claim). https://www.bikernet.com/pages/SS_Ho...h_Engines.aspx
Could it possibly be the reengineering of the entire crank assembly, and not the crank pin size in and of itself as I said?
I have also taken their TC cranks that "sucked" as you said, for over a decade and make alot more HP and beat on them much more than your builds.
Hmmmm.....
Again (this gets old), unless you actually test them (like when you did a great job actually testing the various carbs available-straight up, side by side for flow), you simply don't know.
What if someone said "a Mik 48 should flow more than a bored G".....I say, BS, unless you test, you don't know.
I agree, bigger usually is better, but prove it or don't say that crank pin size, in and of itself, makes a superior crank.
Prove it.

Last edited by PWMORRIS; 11-04-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:13 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We've been steadily building M8's here, and as of now, no crank issues have been witnessed, including 3, 124"s.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record