Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Strange "to me" engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 05:47 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Prior to opening the engine, the OP may want to double check for things such as a loose heat shield, tank mounting hardware, etc.
If the brass inserts do not cure it, then as djl has mentioned, a lifter could be the culprit and if that is the case, my more would be on the f/exhaust.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:23 PM
ZEROPILOT
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Inserts

Originally Posted by djl
John's inserts will solve the problem is the noise is being generated by shaft movement. John's website will show witness marks that confirm shaft rotation so when the OP is installing the inserts, he should look for the witness marks. If there no witness marks and the noise still presents after the inserts have been properly installed, the OP could have a weak lifter. Hope that the inserts solve the problem as they have for many others.
Thanks. I went to the dealer and bought the O rings and oils for a service (with the two funky H.D. funnels.)
I also bought four gaskets. Two valve cover gaskets and two rocker box gaskets for the rocker mod. I'm convinced that that is the issue. With my mechanics stethoscope, the front rocker arm area IS THE NOISE.
So, I'm doing the oil service....And checking clearance on the primary chain this weekend.
I'll do the rocker mod in the very near future now that I'm convinced that it won't explode.
I've never owned a Harley before. And I appreciate everyone taking the time to talk me down from this.
I'll make a new post with photos of the DURING and AFTER the mod. As well as a review when I'm done.
In the meanwhile, I'll just crank up the stereo and ignore that faint ticking sound.
Thanks

Old 12-14-2018, 02:36 PM
ZEROPILOT
Cruiser
Default Inserts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Prior to opening the engine, the OP may want to double check for things such as a loose heat shield, tank mounting hardware, etc.
If the brass inserts do not cure it, then as djl has mentioned, a lifter could be the culprit and if that is the case, my more would be on the f/exhaust.
Scott
Yes sir. Thank you.
But at this point. I'm thinking that the inserts are a win-win anyway.
If this isn't the culprit, I will keep searching. But it seems worthwhile regardless.
For low. Or for a remedy for a noise the might develop in the future.
It seems like THE MOTOR COMPANY should have adopted this remedy in the first place.
I mean $15 for no noise?
Come on.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:39 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Another thing to consider.... oil. No matter what you may hear... oil matters. I've tried a LOT of oils, and when it comes to noise there is nothing better than Spectro 25-60 DINO oil. FWIW, the worst I've tried is Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 (probably a fine oil in every other sense)

Cheers,

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 12-14-2018, 06:17 PM
ZEROPILOT
Cruiser
Default Engine oil

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Another thing to consider.... oil. No matter what you may hear... oil matters. I've tried a LOT of oils, and when it comes to noise there is nothing better than Spectro 25-60 DINO oil. FWIW, the worst I've tried is Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 (probably a fine oil in every other sense)

Cheers,

John @ Rockout
__________________________________________________ ___
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters
Actually I got 3 quarts of TWIN POWER synthetic 20w50 engine oil with the bike. (Plus tranny and primary oils) in a kit the original owner had and liked to use.
I'll use it and see if I like it.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:08 PM
ZEROPILOT
Cruiser
Default Ready to begin

I got the ROCKOUTs very fast!!
So now I have everything?
Too bad this doesn't come as a complete "kit".

So...Remove the valve covers. Remove the rocker boxes. Install the ROCKOUTs. Replace the gaskets on re assembly?(make sure the pushrod go back into the rockers)
Correct?
I've never wrenched on a pushrod M/C engine before.
It seems too simple.

Last edited by ZEROPILOT; 12-15-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:41 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Hey brother,

You can return the rocker box gaskets.... you won't need to remove the rocker box, just the covers.

John @ Rockout

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Old 12-16-2018, 02:33 PM
ZEROPILOT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ZEROPILOT
I got the ROCKOUTs very fast!!
So now I have everything?
Too bad this doesn't come as a complete "kit".

So...Remove the valve covers. Remove the rocker boxes. Install the ROCKOUTs. Replace the gaskets on re assembly?(make sure the pushrod go back into the rockers)
Correct?
I've never wrenched on a pushrod M/C engine before.
It seems too simple.
Im going to search for a tutorial on removing the rtocker assemblies.
Wont I need to rotate the engine and release the valve tension on the cams for each cylinder?

Old 12-16-2018, 03:32 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ZEROPILOT
Im going to search for a tutorial on removing the rtocker assemblies.
Wont I need to rotate the engine and release the valve tension on the cams for each cylinder?
Do one cylinder at a time.... follow the simple instructions to get the cylinder on the cam's base circle. After completing that cylinder wait 30 minutes & repeat for the other. Just don't be in a hurry & all will go smoothly

John @ Rockout

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Old 12-16-2018, 04:47 PM
ZEROPILOT
Cruiser
Default Instructions

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Do one cylinder at a time.... follow the simple instructions to get the cylinder on the cam's base circle. After completing that cylinder wait 30 minutes & repeat for the other. Just don't be in a hurry & all will go smoothly

John @ Rockout
Cool.
I didnt actually look at the directions
__________________________________________________ ___
I didnt actually look at the directions yet...

Quick Reply: Strange "to me" engine sound