Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Inner Cam Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Canada.

The following users liked this post:
Ridetothehill (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Welcome to the H-D Forums from Idaho ! ENJOY !

Ridetothehill (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:18 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridetothehill
When changing camshafts, many choose to replace the inner cam bearing with a full complement roller bearing. The OEM caged assembly roller produces half the friction and has a speed rating of three times full complement. When looking at the two side by side, it is obvious that full has twice the surface contact area. Full complement has a better load rating; but, more friction. Every decision made when planning a build has it's trade offs.

we repair about 2-3 cases a month for blown out OEM inner cam bearings,never had to repair one for a Torrington going bad

Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

I am of course assuming these are motors used in "normal" street riding and not racing. I could not imagine anyone would consider using the OEM over Torringtons in a race build. How many bikes do you service in a month to get 2-3 blown cam bearings? Thank you for your input on this. This is what I was looking for. I am not using a high lift cam or heavy springs; therefore, I am inclined to not touch the bearing. The motor only has 5000mi. The current decision on my plate is if I should go with the quick install pushrods or keep the one piece. I don't like the idea of dealing with the oil lines and more concerning is the rocker shaft stand offs. Feuling has studs that take stress off the stand offs. Again, thank you for your input. I am grateful for any and all info that will help me with this build and the next ones. This has become my retirement hobby.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:37 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

It makes good sense to replace them while you're into the camchest that far. Cheap insurance and peace of mind for a few bucks more.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

I am of course assuming these are motors used in "normal" street riding and not racing. I could not imagine anyone would consider using the OEM over Torringtons in a race build. How many bikes do you service in a month to get 2-3 blown cam bearings? Thank you for your input on this. This is what I was looking for. I am not using a high lift cam or heavy springs; therefore, I am inclined to not touch the bearing. The motor only has 5000mi. The current decision on my plate is if I should go with the quick install pushrods or keep the one piece. I don't like the idea of dealing with the oil lines and more concerning is the rocker shaft stand offs. Feuling has studs that take stress off the stand offs. Again, thank you for your input. I am grateful for any and all info that will help me with this build and the next ones. This has become my retirement hobby.
Sounds like you are asking about an M8 bike????

Even so upgrading the inner cam bearing is a good idea

Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Sounds like you are asking about an M8 bike????

Even so upgrading the inner cam bearing is a good idea
Yes, I have an M8. This cam upgrade will be a minor one. I plan to do a major build with this bike in a couple of years after I put about 30000 miles on it. I'm going to be back into this camchest for sure. Trying to keep it simple for now with just a little torque bump. Not like it needs one.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:14 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Yes, I have an M8. This cam upgrade will be a minor one. I plan to do a major build with this bike in a couple of years after I put about 30000 miles on it. I'm going to be back into this camchest for sure. Trying to keep it simple for now with just a little torque bump. Not like it needs one.
Why is the friction increase concerning? The friction may be significantly more, but even so it is a very small amount of friction in a well oiled location. The torrington will far outlast the stock bearing.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

I was on the fence with the bearing issue. I just ordered the install tool through Fuel Motto and will be picking up the Torrington bearing with SE Adjustable pushrods at the dealer on Friday. I want to thank everyone for the good advice.

slodsm (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:29 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

yes these are
street motors,TC & evo.there not on bikes we service,they are case halves sent in.we do machine work for riders,shops & dealers all over the country.havnt had to do a M8 yet,but im sure it`ll happen soon

Ridetothehill (01-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Inner Cam Bearing