Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

FM Level B Heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:02 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Don't be so "apathetically" negative Kirby lolol.

BTW; never seen what you do.... you never say??
His heads work well, I do know that

At least when one calls F M you get to talk to a real person and not a machine.
When I first contacted Kirby he told me he prefers email, never had an email go without a response, sometimes after hours and on weekends which I never expected. call that 800 nunber on Sunday afternoon and see what kind of response you get

Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

I do believe that shops like Scott's and Kirby's do their head porting by hand (which is custom) to match the build and cam for maximum efficiency. There is no cookie cutter one port for all builds...

Old 02-01-2019, 03:09 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
that would be a better idea,have your heads ported by hand to match the rest of your build,CNC porting is only as good as the original head that was digitized and that's a crap shoot that out of 100`s of different build combinations,it will fit your build right.BTW,im doubting FM is CNC porting in house
Kirby, you don't mean to say that Foolmoto just takes other people's work, slaps their label on it and claims as theirs? Say it isn't so!!!

We need a sarcasm button...

The following users liked this post:
hrdtail78 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:44 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I do believe that shops like Scott's and Kirby's do their head porting by hand (which is custom) to match the build and cam for maximum efficiency. There is no cookie cutter one port for all builds...
I know Kirby wouldn't touch my heads until a final decision was made about the cams. there must have been 20 emails back and forth discussing different combinations of parts before that happened.
when it comes to machine shop and head porting the smaller hands on guys will always get my business before a large internet warehouse.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:27 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,258 Likes on 21,364 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I thought they did a pretty good job on the M8 heads. Here is my personal before and after:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17694175

Not the best comparison since the angles aren't the same, but here's a shot ot the intake ports side-by-side. FM CNC B-level head left, stock on the right,
Nice work.
Thanx.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:37 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Nice looking but a picture is not a flow bench. Just saying!

Old 02-01-2019, 08:46 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Oh I'm sure they're flow benched.
Most do that on a stage I.
Jus' sayiin'

Old 02-01-2019, 08:49 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
You call my shop and you will get voice mail, and if you don't leave one. You don't get a call back. BUT don't worry. When I am working on your bike or parts. I don't stop every five minutes every time my phone rings either. I stay on task, on focus, and in the zone. When this does become a problem for a customer or a potential customer. I inform them I am not the shop for them. I will have a better time if they go to the dealership. At least a motor cloth girl could answer the phone and then you can be directly transferred to some service writer.
It must really suck to have so much business and be so big that you have to have someone answer the phone huh?

Old 02-01-2019, 09:08 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Oh I'm sure they're flow benched.
Most do that on a stage I.
Jus' sayiin'
I really don't think anyone would waste their time to flow benching a stage 1 head... It would be senseless..... Unless you paid extra for it... I guess that would be senseless as well....

It must really suck to have so much business and be so big that you have to have someone answer the phone huh?
Seriously, why do have to consistently take a stab at these guys.. did they refuse to work on your crap or something... I do know that I've never had issues with them... And don't know anyone that has... They have very good reputations...
I guess setting the speed record says nothing..... hmmmph.....
And yes time on the phone is not productive... Small shops don't have the luxury to waste time.. I see what happens to Scott when I'm up there, hell, he has a permanent crimp in his neck...

Old 02-01-2019, 09:48 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Honestly? Yeah it would, but most miss the allure of owning a small one man shop. Tune 2-3 builds a week for other shops. Have 1-2 builds going on every month. Specializing in a couple of things and dealing with others in this industry that are masters in their specialized niche.

BUT let me rephrase what I said before. Only the ignorant would think that having someone answer the phone vs getting a machine and call back would ever affect or would it be a good way to judge the quality of work coming out of that shop. Best of luck to you with your B level heads. You are were you belong.

The following users liked this post:
joe40x (02-01-2019)

Quick Reply: FM Level B Heads