Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

95" big bore to100" s&s

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:51 AM
springerboy
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 95" big bore to100" s&s

greetings, this one is open to 1 and all. I have a 02 e-glide that has a 88" that has a se95" in it. The bike runs good but you know how it goes,,,what can we do to get it to go a little better,,so. If I was to put an s&s 100" kit in this, not sure what cams yet, it is has a s&s super e carb,,what do i have to do to get a 100 hp out of it? my heads have been worked on ,but don't know to what extent. I have a rinehart 2into 1 pipe, Any and all comments will help. Thanks, Butcher

Old 02-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

You can get 100hp easy out of a 95". Better head work, different cams, maybe a higher CR with a better pipe.

Unless you're in a dick-swinging contest about cubic inches, why waste the money?

Old 02-08-2019, 12:35 PM
springerboy
Advanced

mattbastard, thank u for the information. no,,i am not in a big cubic inch contest. i just want the motor to live and i don't know how far to push the 95". it has s&s 510 gear drive cams now, i talked with the tuner yesterday, and he is going to put something together. we'll see what happens.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:01 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,374 Likes on 23,287 Posts

I was in your situation, had Harley do the 95 upgrade but wanted more after a while.

Went with a 106 stroker built by Eric Bennett at Bennett Performance.

article about his shop and the process.

https://www.hotbikeweb.com/bennetts-...son-horsepower

The following users liked this post:
springerboy (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Jake707
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I had 105 hp out of my 95" years ago, with 10.5:1 wiseco pistons and 211 cams with a 2:1 thunderheader, so not sure why you would be struggling to reach that mark other than maybe that 510 cam being too timid. Is the 100" kit a bolt on or do you have to split the cases? If you split the cases its not worth it and go a different route.

springerboy (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

100" S&S is bolt on, but it's the absolute MAX you can get and even then the cylinder spigots are really thin. There's a LOT of 95" piston options for TC engines, and it leaves some room for error if you pop the motor for one reason or another.

To the OP: Bump your CR up to mid 10's, get your heads worked over and capable of .600" lift, get a nice cam with a lift up around .600" (S&S 585 for example) and an intake close in the mid to late 40's and you should have a nice street ripper with at least 100hp with a flat torque curve.

And make sure to rejet the Super E along with appropriate ignition changes as well (like max advance around 26-28 degrees until you can break the new motor in and work on tune later).

Old 02-08-2019, 02:49 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
100" S&S is bolt on, but it's the absolute MAX you can get and even then the cylinder spigots are really thin. There's a LOT of 95" piston options for TC engines, and it leaves some room for error if you pop the motor for one reason or another. To the OP: Bump your CR up to mid 10's, get your heads worked over and capable of .600" lift, get a nice cam with a lift up around .600" (S&S 585 for example) and an intake close in the mid to late 40's and you should have a nice street ripper with at least 100hp with a flat torque curve. And make sure to rejet the Super E along with appropriate ignition changes as well (like max advance around 26-28 degrees until you can break the new motor in and work on tune later).
I was just typing a response nearly word for word. I would only add that the OP says heads have been worked but he doesn't know the extent of the work, so IMHO, heads have to come off to verify. Once the heads are off, not a wallet crusher to bore to 98" and fit with domed forged piston, dome size accordingly to produce more compression and I would go up to 11:1 with a cam selection along the lines of Matt's above post. If possible, I like to break mine in on the dyno and move right into a full tune, i.e, AFR and timing rather than take tuning in steps but that's just me. I would be looking hard at the Cyclerama cams as they are putting up HP numbers very close to TQ numbers which makes a difference. Can't comment on the exhaust; know nothing about it. Just finished reworking the 95" in my '05 FXSTD to 98"; 114TQ/115HP so the power is there in these smaller displacement motors with the right parts and good tune.

The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
duglaura&flhti (02-09-2019), Mattbastard (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:17 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

WFO Larry has 40 over forged KB pistons for a good price compared to CP.. You can correct the compression to use a better cam and do some work to the heads.. I like 06 up heads and AVnV valves with a little work.. Cr set to 10.8. I'm sure others have their favorite combos. I just used the pistons and TW55 cam. It makes for a strong motor but it does pull a little better up top..

springerboy (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:20 PM
springerboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jake707
I had 105 hp out of my 95" years ago, with 10.5:1 wiseco pistons and 211 cams with a 2:1 thunderheader, so not sure why you would be struggling to reach that mark other than maybe that 510 cam being too timid. Is the 100" kit a bolt on or do you have to split the cases? If you split the cases its not worth it and go a different route.
jake, s&s has their winter sale going on now. $500 off their 100" and 110" kits. i was'nt wanting to buy a new crank because mine is still running pretty true,,like.001 out.if i still had the throttle body would be nice because all of the sensors and fuel maps would still be there , but it was switched out with the first build in 05. oh well, thanks for the info, butcher

Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 PM
springerboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
WFO Larry has 40 over forged KB pistons for a good price compared to CP.. You can correct the compression to use a better cam and do some work to the heads.. I like 06 up heads and AVnV valves with a little work.. Cr set to 10.8. I'm sure others have their favorite combos. I just used the pistons and TW55 cam. It makes for a strong motor but it does pull a little better up top..
hey max, thanks for the info. my heads have been worked on but i don't know to what extent. it was not a shittty job by any means. it's a 13 yr old build and technology has changed so why not use it. thanks,butcher

Quick Reply: 95" big bore to100" s&s